Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Opinions on this? >

Opinions on this?

Opinions on this?

Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Opinions on this?

When it comes to buying and selling Rc stuff naturally more of the scrutiny seems to be on the seller with shipping times, quality of the items, etc. But what about scrutiny on the buyer, specifically for in person transactions? Unfortunately scams are all too common today, so he who is not cautious may get robbed. So my question is, what is your opinion on the correctness of checking bills for authenticity during such a deal?

When trading with someone you don't know who hands over some big bills you sometimes get that fleeting thought in the back of your mind, well what if it is fake? And no matter how hard we try to be fair, humans always hold that slight subconscious bias depending on appearance. When some redneck lookin dude who smells like beer and has missing teeth hands you a $100 bill to pay for something you may be somewhat more inclined to question it.

Businesses often hold up bills to check for the watermark, etc so is that any different on a personal level transaction? Would you do that, or would it offend you if someone did that to money you gave them? I'm very interested to hear some opinions. Discuss.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frozenshades View Post
When it comes to buying and selling Rc stuff naturally more of the scrutiny seems to be on the seller with shipping times, quality of the items, etc. But what about scrutiny on the buyer, specifically for in person transactions? Unfortunately scams are all too common today, so he who is not cautious may get robbed. So my question is, what is your opinion on the correctness of checking bills for authenticity during such a deal?

When trading with someone you don't know who hands over some big bills you sometimes get that fleeting thought in the back of your mind, well what if it is fake? And no matter how hard we try to be fair, humans always hold that slight subconscious bias depending on appearance. When some redneck lookin dude who smells like beer and has missing teeth hands you a $100 bill to pay for something you may be somewhat more inclined to question it.

Businesses often hold up bills to check for the watermark, etc so is that any different on a personal level transaction? Would you do that, or would it offend you if someone did that to money you gave them? I'm very interested to hear some opinions. Discuss.
I tend to distrust folks from Southlake personally. Gotta be doing SOMETHING shady to afford to live there!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Bud
Tech Addict

I've had sales people hold a bill up to the light to check the watermark before. I just hold the change up to the light and check it in front of them. Usually they just chuckle. Had one guy get all pissy. I just told him I didn't trust his money any more than he did mine. He got over it.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Dealing with a stranger, I'd think it was dumb or naive to not check big bills and make sure they're legit. The water mark and thread are simple to check and who cares what a total stranger might think.

If the rolee were reversed and you didn't check the bills I handed you, I'd think you were dumb or naive.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
I tend to distrust folks from Southlake personally. Gotta be doing SOMETHING shady to afford to live there!
Don't be hatin on us Southlake gangsters...drugs don't deal themselves ya know

It has its nice points but the only thing I actually really miss about that city is my family and friends.

And I'm with you Duster, last time I sold stuff a guy paid me with 100 and I made sure to check it
Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Business is business, the person buying gets to look at your rc to make sure everything is right, why not check the money? Would counting it be rude too? If the buyer has a problem with that maybe you should be concerned with taking the money and sell to someone else.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Personally, I tell people to count it if they want, check it out. If it was a couple 20's, I probably wouldn't, but once you start reaching 100 and more, I just might. Hopefully you're not offended, I wouldn't be.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Theirs so many fake $100 bills out their I don't take them..hey most local stores where I live won't take anything larger than a $20, why should I..
Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
Theirs so many fake $100 bills out their I don't take them..hey most local stores where I live won't take anything larger than a $20, why should I..
yup
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
I guess that makes sense. I could see places not accepting $100 bills, but I've never had anything said the few times I've paid with $50's.