Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Excited to get started but.... I am lost >

Excited to get started but.... I am lost

Excited to get started but.... I am lost

Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Excited to get started but.... I am lost

Hey guys, kudos to the awesome website and the mounds of information available. I am very very new to the RC scene and I was considering going Nitro right off the bat. But after reading the maintenance and tuning involved I decided to scrap that idea till I get a better understanding with electric.

So, I wanna pick up:
1) Tamiya TT-01D Kit RTR with the GT-R body (undecided really about the body)

2a) Spektrum DX2 with receiver as a packaged bundle (no servo)
2b) Do I need a high torque servo? If so what should I go with??? ie.. Hitec 645?????

3) Batteries (probably two)

4) Maybe some softer compound tires all around for none drifting

5) Would it be hard to assemble myself versus buying RTR. Not really mechanically inclined.

6) What else do I need, and what suggestions?

Remember I am just starting. I will eventually (maybe if the wifey doesn't complain ) go Nitro and tune and upgrade

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cruisn76 View Post
Hey guys, kudos to the awesome website and the mounds of information available. I am very very new to the RC scene and I was considering going Nitro right off the bat. But after reading the maintenance and tuning involved I decided to scrap that idea till I get a better understanding with electric.

So, I wanna pick up:

2b) Do I need a high torque servo? If so what should I go with??? ie.. Hitec 645?????

5) Would it be hard to assemble myself versus buying RTR. Not really mechanically inclined.

Remember I am just starting. I will eventually (maybe if the wifey doesn't complain ) go Nitro and tune and upgrade

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the hobby. Before we can really recommend much of anything, we need to know exactly what it is you plan on DOING with your onroad RC car.

1) If all you plan on doing is drifting or bashing around your street, it doesn't reall matter what you get, since performance wont matter. Get a RTR or kit drifter and go at it.

If you want to RACE an RC car, at a race track, then it will matter what you get, somewhat. You wouldn't want a TT01D, but a competative level touring car from AE, hot bodies, xray, tamiya, etc... As you are brand new, it will take quite a bit of time at the race track before you will really benefit from a top shelf luxury TC, so start with something like a used AE TC4. It's an older car, durable, parts are easy to get, but can still be pretty competative, and certainly isn't a kit that would hold back as a new driver... its still a fully adjustable race engineered touring car. Used kits are cheap (im selling one for 75$) and they are all over the for sale forums here.

And lastly, if you DO want to race it, not enough emphasis can be put on going to your local track for help. See what guys are running, and get local advice. You will have an easier time getting up and running, if you are running what guys at your track know, and local stores can support.

2a.) that radio will do fine
2b.) again, if you're bashing/drifting, doesn't matter too much. If racing, a quality servo is a good investment... dont chimp there. I myself prefer futaba servos, but most of the manufacters make quality ones, get the highest torque car servo you can afford.

3.) Get yourself a decent lipo (you dont need 2). 4000mah through 5000mah, 25c through 50c... anywhere in there will work fine from any of the major manufacterers, it would depend on how much you want to spend. Brand name lipos can run you 100$, budget lipos off ebay or korean rc shops get down to 30-40$. You will need a charger that specifically charges lipos.

5.) No. Just follow the directions step by step, don't over tighten your screws, and you should be just fine. Building a kit is a really fun part of the hobby. If you decide to go with a kit over a RTR, you will also need to research speed controllers as well.

Good luck.

(EDIT: funny... a moderator moved your thread from a forum it belonged in, to a forum that it doesn't belong in Should either be in electric onroad forum, or the Rookie Zone forum)

Last edited by Cpt.America; 07-15-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Welcome indeed

If you just want to goof around, and get your feet wet in the hobby so to speak, like the capn said, the tt-01d would be fine. There's almost zero adjust-ability to the stock tt-01 so not being mechanically inclined won't be too much of a problem, however, you will eventually need to become mechanically inclined, or the tt will soon find itself a permanent spot on the shelf. Cars do break and someone has to fix them. This is where building your car from a kit comes in handy, when something goes wrong you'll be more likely to be able to identify the problem. Plus if you decided to put a kit together and you run into problems, you could always ask your new found forum buddies for help.

As far as "stuff to get" goes, of course I'd drive the stock unit a bit first. After you do, you'll quickly want to upgrade the motor/esc, but the stock plastic driveshaft is just ridiculous and will distort and vibrate like crazy if any real power is applied, so an aluminum driveshaft is going to be one of the first things you'll want to upgrade on the tt-01, then[/U] the motor/esc. The combo the TT comes with (included in both the kit and RTR) is nothing to write home about, and the car can seem frustratingly underpowered. After addressing those two issues, it's almost a tolerable car to dink around with, I wouldn't throw any more money than that at one though.

A hitec 645 will provide more than enough torque to steer the tt, although the 645 is relatively slow. Anything with a minimum 50 [email protected] would work, but you'd find yourself wanting to upgrade pretty quickly. 80 oz.in (+) @ 4.8v (more still @ 6.0v) and under 0.15 sec. transit time would be bare minimum for me personally. I prefer as fast a servo as possible with a drift car.

I think if I was just starting out in the hobby though, and I wanted something electric just to goof around with, I'd probably think about a (preferably 4wd) short course truck or something with some off-road capability that you could run just about anywhere. Unless of course you're dead set on strictly drifting. You can always drift a SC truck.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cruisn76 View Post

So, I wanna pick up:

Thanks in advance.
WELCOME!

To be honest I think nitro is quite different to electric.
This may be a controversial post,but i think going electric will only help you learn rc car control. It wont help you with Nitro or any tuning! I started off with Nitro and learnt how to use it partly myself and partly with the help of a model shop. When i went to electric I found everything easier!! Maintenance isnt that hard for a nitro, you just have to clean it and oil it every time you use it, same as a electric. Tuning can be a pain, but it gets better as your engine is more run in.Im not trying to put you off electric because they are really fun too! Especially when you take them to a track.Anyway if you are still undecided i will answer your questions

1.TT01 is a Great starting car!! Its got tonnes of hop ups and it is really durable.With the body, just choose what you think looks good.

3.Yeah get two batteries, If you really wanna get a power increase go Lipo but read about the dangers first! Really do! They are dangerous!

4.You could stay with the standard tires that come with the tt01d if you wanna drift.

5.Nah Its like lego just a little bit harder! They are suprisingly easy to build with instructions! Even Nitro cars are easy to build with instructions!

6.I think thats it but if you Want to go faster You could look at the hop ups on ebay! But dont get carried away like me and put so many hop ups on your tt01 that the price goes higher than some higher end cars!

Good luck!