Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
As Colin Chapman said... "Simplify, and add lightness."
A true genius, and well said.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Being the son of a Toyota engineer has its perks I guess so based on some experiences here we go. The new president of TMC (Toyota Motor Company, in Japan) is serious gearhead. He is the one who resurrected the project when it was canceled and has championed Toyota's performance roots. Yes Toyota has some pretty decent racing heritage in spite of the F1 fiasco. The LFA is an expression of what has been done, what can be done and what will be done. The intention of Lexus was to create the most "complete" supercar in the world. See the countless articles, spend a few minutes understanding some of the technical features, not just numbers and figures as whether we like to admit to ourselves or not, EVERY sports car is about more than just the numbers. http://www.lexus-lfa.com/ Everything from specially weighted paddles to the unique concept of a rigid and locked torque tube or how the chassis and interior design works to fool your body into feeling as if the car is rotating around a singular point under the drivers seat. However all of this aside, the car is an exercise in manufacturing, design, technology and driving experience. Beyond those concepts the car is advertising. This is what all sports cars are. Its a well understood fact that there have only really ever been 3 sports cars that have ever turned a profit (911, Corvette, Mustang). Sports cars in any shape and form have to exist for a reason and advertising, whether it be direct or indirect is that purpose if you want to look at it from a business perspective. Furthermore the LFA is a supercar. These cars are designed in evoke strong emotions. In the case of positive ones it makes us mortals want a Toyota or Lexus with LFA inspired features. And in some cases these features will see a trickle down effect. Things like the way mass centralized in the LFA can definetly see its way it things like the FT-86 or the other sports projects underway. Finally remember, every road car is a compromise and this is a Lexus, for all the performance and excitment there has to be a Lexus level of reliability, luxury and refinement. Whether YOU think the performance or the price don't add up these other characteristics have to be factored in because there are plenty of current Lexus owners out there with the cashflow and desire to buy an LFA and they won't settle for anything less when it comes time to park an LFA next whatever Lexus they are currently enjoying. Why else would Toyota market this car towards current Lexus and Toyota owners. To speak to this point, an interesting side note: A good number of well heeled, well respected Supra enthusiasts were "invited" to test drives and "unveiling" events. Whether Toyota intended to make a world class supercar, they intented to make it first a Lexus.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WoW..who knew..Toyota Successful at racing..Ivan Stewart is about the only one I can think of..they've ruined just about form of racing they have entered..I was glad to see them bail on F1..I guess NASCAR is next..
Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Fas1 View Post
WoW..who knew..Toyota Successful at racing..Ivan Stewart is about the only one I can think of..they've ruined just about form of racing they have entered..I was glad to see them bail on F1..I guess NASCAR is next..
Actually they have won at just about everything they have ever done except F1.

They've won the Indy 500

They've won in NASCAR

24 hours of Daytona

IMSA GTP Championship

Have they ever won LeMans? I don't think so but can't remember for sure.

Still don't care for them though
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post

They've won the Indy 500

They've won in NASCAR

24 hours of Daytona

IMSA GTP Championship

It was a tongue in cheek comment..aimed at their success at F1 racing, and they have thrown cubic amounts of money at NASCAR, they have won races but still no championships, not the results they wanted for the amount of money spent.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Fas1 View Post
It was a tongue in cheek comment..aimed at their success at F1 racing, and they have thrown cubic amounts of money at NASCAR, they have won races but still no championships, not the results they wanted for the amount of money spent.
No one but JJ has won a championship since they entered. I don't think they are too worried about it. JGR WILL win one sooner or later. They have won truck championships.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

No one but JJ has won a championship since they entered. I don't think they are too worried about it. JGR WILL win one sooner or later. They have won truck championships.
I still do not think that they belong in NASCAR..but winning the truck series is like winning the Frosh/Sof football championship in high school..no one really cares..
Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
I still do not think that they belong in NASCAR..but winning the truck series is like winning the Frosh/Sof football championship in high school..no one really cares..
I mostly agree but it is a racing success none the less. Plus, I still say the best racing of all the major series comes from the truck series.

Also, don't forget just how important the truck series is to the manufacturers themselves. They sell a LOT more trucks than they do Impalas and Intrepids.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

They've won the Indy 500

They've won in NASCAR

24 hours of Daytona

IMSA GTP Championship

No, Toyota has not won at LeMans. The only Japanese manufacturer who has done that is Mazda.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Being the son of a Toyota engineer has its perks I guess so based on some experiences here we go. The new president of TMC (Toyota Motor Company, in Japan) is serious gearhead. He is the one who resurrected the project when it was canceled and has championed Toyota's performance roots. Yes Toyota has some pretty decent racing heritage in spite of the F1 fiasco. The LFA is an expression of what has been done, what can be done and what will be done. The intention of Lexus was to create the most "complete" supercar in the world. See the countless articles, spend a few minutes understanding some of the technical features, not just numbers and figures as whether we like to admit to ourselves or not, EVERY sports car is about more than just the numbers. http://www.lexus-lfa.com/ Everything from specially weighted paddles to the unique concept of a rigid and locked torque tube or how the chassis and interior design works to fool your body into feeling as if the car is rotating around a singular point under the drivers seat. However all of this aside, the car is an exercise in manufacturing, design, technology and driving experience. Beyond those concepts the car is advertising. This is what all sports cars are. Its a well understood fact that there have only really ever been 3 sports cars that have ever turned a profit (911, Corvette, Mustang). Sports cars in any shape and form have to exist for a reason and advertising, whether it be direct or indirect is that purpose if you want to look at it from a business perspective. Furthermore the LFA is a supercar. These cars are designed in evoke strong emotions. In the case of positive ones it makes us mortals want a Toyota or Lexus with LFA inspired features. And in some cases these features will see a trickle down effect. Things like the way mass centralized in the LFA can definetly see its way it things like the FT-86 or the other sports projects underway. Finally remember, every road car is a compromise and this is a Lexus, for all the performance and excitment there has to be a Lexus level of reliability, luxury and refinement.
Some very good points there.

Whether YOU think the performance or the price don't add up these other characteristics have to be factored in because there are plenty of current Lexus owners out there with the cashflow and desire to buy an LFA and they won't settle for anything less when it comes time to park an LFA next whatever Lexus they are currently enjoying. Why else would Toyota market this car towards current Lexus and Toyota owners. To speak to this point, an interesting side note: A good number of well heeled, well respected Supra enthusiasts were "invited" to test drives and "unveiling" events. Whether Toyota intended to make a world class supercar, they intented to make it first a Lexus.
There are a lot of "well heeled, well respected folks" with "plenty of cashflow" who drink Heineken too. It doesn't make them smart- it means they fall for marketing hype. There's a reason they call it "hiney" for short... it has to do with the taste.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Initiate

From what I read, Toyota started developing the car about 10 years ago to make a "Supra on roids" type car and the frame was originally aluminum. They were bored with it and handed it over to Lexus a few years ago. Lexus wanted to make the car lighter so they ditched the aluminum frame and redesigned the frame a few times using carbon fiber. I think they said it can go from idle to redline in less than a second so it can't use an analog tach. The engine is a V-10, with the size of a V-8, with the weight of a V-6.

Different departments design different cars. Sure Toyota has had issues lately but to say the comapny on a whole sucks is just ignorant. If a Chevy Silverado had engine problems, would you also say the Cobalt or the Corvette is junk?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by FLASH1970 View Post

Different departments design different cars. Sure Toyota has had issues lately but to say the comapny on a whole sucks is just ignorant. If a Chevy Silverado had engine problems, would you also say the Cobalt or the Corvette is junk?
Dude....The Chrysler ME 4-12 makes the Lexus effort look pretty lame..850 hp at the wheels, and it out performs the Lexus in every category, plus it took Chrysler only a year..and given ALL the problems that Toyota has had with their cars..yea pretty much they suck..it's NOT just one model that their having problems with..and given their reluctance to address problems I would have to say I would not buy a Toyota, I would buy a Honda over a Toyota any day.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

They have enough engineering prowess to build an engine that can go from idle to redline in under a second, take the entire engine from a few hundred RPM to several thousand RPM Iím assuming. Yet they canít make an analog tach needle move something like 180 degrees in that time frame? Really?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
They have enough engineering prowess to build an engine that can go from idle to redline in under a second, take the entire engine from a few hundred RPM to several thousand RPM Iím assuming. Yet they canít make an analog tach needle move something like 180 degrees in that time frame? Really?
Yea..but that would take "mad" engineering skills..
Old 07-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
HAHA!!!

That is hilarious and a good point!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.