Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Who does LEXUS think they are??? >

Who does LEXUS think they are???

Who does LEXUS think they are???

Old 07-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

The test pilot in the LFA was driving outside of Nurburgring on a public road. The police said he was breaking the law by wearing a helmet when he shouldn't have been. BMW denies their drivers (not testing anything, just taking a 3 series out for a stroll apparently) were wearing helmets.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
The test pilot in the LFA was driving outside of Nurburgring on a public road. The police said he was breaking the law by wearing a helmet when he shouldn't have been. BMW denies their drivers (not testing anything, just taking a 3 series out for a stroll apparently) were wearing helmets.
Common practice in Germany with the auto companies..The Autobahn is famous for "late night runs", Porsche is one of the top offenders when it comes to street testing..
Old 07-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

who cares what there thinking they already sold every one. they sold out be for it was even released.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ckfactory View Post
who cares what there thinking they already sold every one. they sold out be for it was even released.
Just goes to prove the old saying..a fool and his money are soon parted..
Old 07-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Lets see... the lexus LFA, or the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo... uhmmm .... yeah, the Saleen

Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 95lscoupe View Post
I don't know if anybody watches Top gear or not but the car is more than just a super car. The v10 engine is comes with revs so fast that analog tacks cant keep up so it has a full lcd tach to keep up. Lt drives like a caddy but handles like a farari and is a engineers wet dream it has everything you can put in a car. If I had alot of money to blow and was in the market I would pick this before a farari. Because the ones that can beat this ride very stiff most have no radio and need rebuilt after 15000 mi.
I'm going to ignore the obvious spelling and grammar mistakes and not poke fun at them- I can understand what you mean.

My whole problem with anything "performance" from Toyota/Lexus is exactly what you said about the feel... "drives like a caddy." I have to say I have NOT driven a Supra (but I've been in an RX-7 that was spanking one like a redheaded stepchild!) but I have driven numerous other Toyota/Lexus products. I hated every single one of them. They wallow like a tugboat in high seas, and turn about like a supertanker. They're soft, sloppy pigs. Sure, they're reliable, and the Supra makes a great dyno queen... but that's about it.

I test drove a GS the week I bought my S-Type. (I was looking for a sporty, classy medium sized sedan that still was at least marginally fun to drive.) There is a night and day difference- the Jaguar is tight and responsive. (And yes, I realize it is the same "platform" as the Lincoln LS was...) The Lexus was... as I said before... a sloppy pig.

I've also driven the new Camry and Corolla while looking for a car for my daughter... oink oink!

The only Toyota product we drove that had decent road feel was the Scion TC. We ended up buying her a VW Rabbit- nicer interior, road feel like a BMW, and cost less... while having more room than any small car we drove.

If I had the kind of money to waste on a car like that... I'd almost certainly look elsewhere. Toyota would have a hard time getting me to test drive one given the feel of all the cars of theirs I have driven in the past. They are absolutely sub-par.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think something that we're missing is that a lot of the people that bought the car didnt exactly do it for its performance. Im sure many of them are speculators, they buy the car, they garage it for years, and in 10-15-20 years they sell it at auction and if they're lucky they make money on it, not for how it drives, but simply because of uniqueness and how few were made. Its like a colectors item.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
I think something that we're missing is that a lot of the people that bought the car didnt exactly do it for its performance. Im sure many of them are speculators, they buy the car, they garage it for years, and in 10-15-20 years they sell it at auction and if they're lucky they make money on it, not for how it drives, but simply because of uniqueness and how few were made. Its like a colectors item.
What a waste.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
What a waste.
Couldnt agree more, same feeling I get when I see a woman driving a 911, what a waste.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
I'm going to ignore the obvious spelling and grammar mistakes and not poke fun at them- I can understand what you mean.

My whole problem with anything "performance" from Toyota/Lexus is exactly what you said about the feel... "drives like a caddy." I have to say I have NOT driven a Supra (but I've been in an RX-7 that was spanking one like a redheaded stepchild!) but I have driven numerous other Toyota/Lexus products. I hated every single one of them. They wallow like a tugboat in high seas, and turn about like a supertanker. They're soft, sloppy pigs. Sure, they're reliable, and the Supra makes a great dyno queen... but that's about it.

I test drove a GS the week I bought my S-Type. (I was looking for a sporty, classy medium sized sedan that still was at least marginally fun to drive.) There is a night and day difference- the Jaguar is tight and responsive. (And yes, I realize it is the same "platform" as the Lincoln LS was...) The Lexus was... as I said before... a sloppy pig.

I've also driven the new Camry and Corolla while looking for a car for my daughter... oink oink!

The only Toyota product we drove that had decent road feel was the Scion TC. We ended up buying her a VW Rabbit- nicer interior, road feel like a BMW, and cost less... while having more room than any small car we drove.

If I had the kind of money to waste on a car like that... I'd almost certainly look elsewhere. Toyota would have a hard time getting me to test drive one given the feel of all the cars of theirs I have driven in the past. They are absolutely sub-par.
Thank you for saving me the trouble of typing with a cut index finger. Could have not said it better.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What a waste.
Yeah, so true. Cars are meant to be driven, its what they are built to do. My daily car is a collectors item and I enjoy driving it.

Its just that high performance cars tend to break down easier and tend to be more sensitive to anything that goes slightly wrong.

There is apparently a new veyron being released with an extra 200bhp and a top speed of 430km/h, why is a street car built to be that fast?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

An "extra" 200 hp? Like 1,001 wasn't enough?

For the earlier comment, I have a Scion TC (for commuting, don't laugh! I also have a 5.7L Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited when I need to feel like a man again!) and they are decent little cars. 2.4L 4 banger is not too shabby but I wouldn't compare it at all to a BMW. I had a modded E36 sedan and they are WORLDS apart.

Never had the pleasure of driving in or riding in a Supra. I sat in an RX7 once but couldn't close the door so we didn't go anywhere. 6'5 265lbs (at the time ) of frame doesn't like such small areas.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

Lets see... the lexus LFA, or the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo... uhmmm .... yeah, the Saleen

Ya, Saleen S7 TT FTW definitely!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
They said they are looking for specific people to have this car just to avoid what you said here. They don't want it to be sitting in a garage for the next 30 years, they want it out being seen. I think it's a good looking car but agree with the OP that they probably need to be working on other things than this super car, but then again this could have the fixes in it that could save them.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
An "extra" 200 hp? Like 1,001 wasn't enough?
As Colin Chapman said... "Simplify, and add lightness."

For the earlier comment, I have a Scion TC (for commuting, don't laugh! I also have a 5.7L Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited when I need to feel like a man again!) and they are decent little cars. 2.4L 4 banger is not too shabby but I wouldn't compare it at all to a BMW. I had a modded E36 sedan and they are WORLDS apart.
To clarify, I was talking about the VW Rabbit, not the Scion... but your point still stands. I don't mean the Rabbit matches the BMW on performance. I mean the road feel is very similar, even though the VW is front wheel drive. It drives like a go-kart!

Never had the pleasure of driving in or riding in a Supra. I sat in an RX7 once but couldn't close the door so we didn't go anywhere. 6'5 265lbs (at the time ) of frame doesn't like such small areas.
The RX-7 is not exactly ROOMY. The Supra has more room... and the engine is practically bulletproof. I just don't like Toyota's road feel in general. (And a Lexus is just a Toyota...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.