Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Anyone else race in iRacing >

Anyone else race in iRacing

Anyone else race in iRacing

Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Default Anyone else race in iRacing

I've been having a lot of fun and getting my race fix racing on-line at iRacing and was wondering if there were any others out there too. Let me know and let's hit a practice session some time!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been eyeing it for some time, and now that I've got my mondo custom gaming PC that my goofy brother built for me I think I might just pull the trigger on it. Just waiting on a custom internet cable to replace the crappy WiFi card I'm running now

Quick question, is there something like a trial or demo before I plunk money on this thing?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Tech Champion

Honestly it has been a good 9 months since I started and can't remember if there was any kind of trial deal or not. One thing I can say is if you aren't liking the rookie cars...try to hang in there...the cars get better as you progress. I'd say the most fun cars are the C license cars...they certainly get the most people driving them. Even the A and B license drivers tend to spend a lot of time in the C license cars.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Next saturday will be a classic F1 race in iRacing using the 1979 Lotus F1 on the classic layout at Silverstone with $50 iRacing credit prizes. Practice and qualifying starts this Saturday. Usually this is a B license class only but for this special event they have opened it up to lower licenses as well. I'm really looking forward to this race! It should be a lot of fun!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Next saturday will be a classic F1 race in iRacing using the 1979 Lotus F1 on the classic layout at Silverstone with $50 iRacing credit prizes. Practice and qualifying starts this Saturday. Usually this is a B license class only but for this special event they have opened it up to lower licenses as well. I'm really looking forward to this race! It should be a lot of fun!
Do you have a link to their site? I'd kinda like to learn more about it myself.....
Old 07-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

www.iRacing.com
Old 07-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Champion

So did either of you decide to try it?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
So did either of you decide to try it?
Actually, I lost track of the thread for a few days, but I'll check it out tonight...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

My goofy brother SWEARS he'll have the cable built and strung by tomorrow...

not only for my benefit but because I borrowed the crimper tool and tester from my LHS owner's brother

Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Well, as I promised, I did have a look, & it looks interesting, but there's one or two things I'm not too clear on(& I didn't see anything in the FAQ that covered it), like if there are any kinds of driver aids in it? I know it's a bit embarrassing, but I'm not too good with manual shifting(plus, the only controller I have right now is a Virtual RC one, works like a pistol grip transmitter, but only has throttle/brake & steering, no buttons for anything else), do you know if iRacing can use automated shifting? Also, on the prices, do they do their bigger packages with one lump payment, or can they do per month pricing(without going to the small packages)?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Tech Champion

Initially I tried it with my VRC controller as well and I could not get it to work. Not saying it will not though as I have heard of other people playing it on keyboards and on joypads so I am not sure on that. I went and got a wheel as soon as possible. Most people use the shifter paddles rather than the H-pattern shifter so it is almost like automatic.

If by one lump payment your talking about the annual membership and other things like that...I believe they do it by lump only...it is the discount you get for paying it all up front.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Got my cable done!

Stupid question, how do you tell who's who in iRacing? Does each car come with a bazillion skins for everyone to choose from, does everybody get to choose their own car number, or even (gasp) can you paint your own car with Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc. and import it into the system?

*I used to do skins for the Insane Rock Crawlers crew playing Codemasters/Invictus Games' 1NSANE, so custom car skinning would just make my day

And about wheels...I'm currently running (and am very happy with) a Logitech MOMO Force. Two axis gas/brake pedalset, paddle shifter, stick sequential shifter that can be moved from the right side of the column to the left for right-hand drive cars, and six buttons mounted on the 270 wheel. The paddles report separately from the stick, so for my road racing games I shift with the stick and use the paddles for Glance Left/Right commands, but for rally games like DiRT I shift with the paddles and pull back on the shifter for the handbrake
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Tech Champion

Oh FYI...if you do sign up use my e-mail as a referral: [email protected] I get a referral credit out of it if ya do
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Tech Champion

I've got the same wheel...it works really well but I'm so into the game I'm looking into upgrades in the near future

As for how you tell who is in...If you mean who is in a session if you put your mouse over the helmet next to the session it will give you a list of the people in it. Also once in a session before you get on the track there is a Entries button on the left side you can use to view who is in the session. If you mean who everyone is that is actually subscribes to the game...I dunno if there is a way to tell that.

As for paint schemes...there are several selectable paint schemes in game that you can customize by choosing the colors you want. The number is assigned to you when you enter a session so you can't pick what number you run. Also there are template files you can use to make custom paint jobs if you are talented in that area. There are also several painters who do requests in game. Also check out www.tradingpaints.com as a painting resource. From there you can upload your paint schemes so other people can download them so they can see your car in game. If they don't download it then they only see the in-game paint scheme you used, not your custom one. It also has a downloader so you can subscribe to different series and have all the schemes downloaded automatically.