Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Who are these "Team Terribles"??! >

Who are these "Team Terribles"??!

Who are these "Team Terribles"??!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wait. So you have made deals with companies to get prices reduced directly or through your site?

Dude, your not helping the hobby any if so with local shops and tracks. There was a good discussion in here recently about how people got sponsorships to get reduced pricing at the cost of killing the LHS. Not because these people deserved it or were good enough.

I cannot support such, and thus I will say again. If this is so. You are not helping the hobby versus yourselves with a glorified group buy.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
No offense, just jumping in with a little logic.

If they gave you a shirt, who pays for it? I'm sure there's no Uber Rich Guy just buying and giving them away. If the team pays for it, and you're on the team... then logic would dictate you buy the shirt. If you're sponsored by a big $$ making company, and you are more or less a rep for their company, then by all means, they should provide a shirt. That doesn't appear to be the case here.

I thought about joining myself, but after a racing buddy told me you had to speak highly of all the sponsors involved, regardless of your personal feelings, I declined. I have to be honest about the products I buy... they don't always work well, if at all.
well i see where your comming from but... for an example i race with a few tekin drivers and there both 50% off and even thow they are only 50% they get a free shirt. but the only sponsor i have is SMX but i dont really buy from them
Old 02-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by x60Driver View Post
well i see where your comming from but... for an example i race with a few tekin drivers and there both 50% off and even thow they are only 50% they get a free shirt. but the only sponsor i have is SMX but i dont really buy from them
Of course. Because Tekin is a manufacturer that is making money from their products, therefore they can afford to give out a few t-shirts.

How can a non-manufacturer, with no revenue possibly afford to give out free shirts? Figure out a way and I'm sure someone will do it.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Let me see if I can help clear things up for some of you. I am James Allara and I am the person who started the team. About 15 months ago I decided to start Racing my Hyper 7, which was my first ever 8 scale buggy. I had spent 10 years previously in the Nirto RC hobby but with only RTR's and only bashing. When I went to my first track to run and maybe race I went alone. I did not know anything about setting up my buggy to race, nor how to race tune my engine..I spent hours just sucking! Nobody offered to help, and the couple of people I asked for help were too busy with their own stuff. After several Failed attempts at trying to do it myself, someone finally offered to help me. After several months of me learning and someone helping me, I started sharing what I was learning with other new racers. It was at that point that Someone called me a "terrible" My driving was still bad, but at least I knew what I was doing now, and vowed to never let another new RC racer have to experience what I went through. If it wasnt for that one person who offered to help me, I would have quit RC altogether. When I decided to start the team I had a good relationship with a couple of up and coming Rc companies who were trying to promote their products and get the word out, so I called them and told them about the team and one by one they all started to offer us team discounts, promotions, and give aways. As the team grew, companies started contacting me to offer sponsorships, and for the good of the team I obviously accepted. We now have 15 team sponsors including some well known companies who wanted to give back to the racers. Our team is now over 500 members in 23 countries, and never again will any of them have to go to a track and not find a friend, a helper, or a pitman. Team Terribles has grown so large, so fast that we are event sponsors of The Physco Nitro Blast, The Alabama Manufacturers Shootout and the Make-A-Wish Race in Texas. None of this could have been accomplished without our Team sponsors. They are directly responsible for the size of the team today. As far as T-shirts go, we had quite a few people who joined the team only to get discounts, with no intentions on being a good teammate, so we implemeneted a $20 registration fee, to keep out the riff-raff. This Fee INCLUDES a team T-shirt, which we encourage our members to wear so they can be recognized at tracks. We do not mandate that they wear them. I hope this makes things a little clearer for some of you, you can rest assured the team was not started to close any local hobby shops, or take business from anyone
Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
Wait. So you have made deals with companies to get prices reduced directly or through your site?
Some of each.

Dude, your not helping the hobby any if so with local shops and tracks. There was a good discussion in here recently about how people got sponsorships to get reduced pricing at the cost of killing the LHS. Not because these people deserved it or were good enough.
It is NOT a sponsorship. Let me say that again: It is NOT a sponsorship of any kind. None, zero, zilch, zip, nada, nothing. There are vendors who provide group discounts (To a 500+ member group? Who wouldn't?) Honestly though, most members don't even use any of that. (I haven't so far.)

Most of us DO support our local hobby shops- I buy what I can from them (they don't have everything I want or need, and in some cases can't even get it) so I go online for that- but my first choice is to give the local business my money.

I cannot support such, and thus I will say again. If this is so. You are not helping the hobby versus yourselves with a glorified group buy.
We are helping the racers... and frankly, this isn't even the point. It isn't about discounts, or an online store. Those are just side benefits that ARE available that most people don't even use. It is about the hobby, and the social interaction with other racers. Helping the noobs out. Helping each other out, and in general having fun.

It's a hobby. This is just a group of people with the same hobby having fun as a group, and trying to do a few nice things here and there.

If you can't support that, then so be it. Not everyone sees things the same way. You're welcome to join or not, at your discretion, as is any other racer out there... electric, nitro, on-road, off-road, rock crawler guys... if you compete, you are our friends and peers in the sport/hobby. That's what we're all about.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:48 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

eh, i like getting to pick what shirt i wanna wear when goin out to the track. hmm....this 1 doesnt smell too bad

give the guy credit for doin somethin new, but alot of this is just old fashioned (what george carlin called) 'DICK FEAR'. many of us are terrified that our pricks are inadequate thus we need sponsors and fancy logos/gear/cars etc etc to feel better bout ourselves.

oh well, does make some facets of the hobby fun like when u bump mr bigballer outta the show with the ride that your 'sponsor' (the wife) let u pay for.

R
Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok folks, I've got to roll. I have to be in Kansas tomorrow morning for my stepbrother's funeral.

Feel free to PM me with any questions regarding Team Terribles and I will try to answer as soon as possible when I get back.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
It is NOT a sponsorship. Let me say that again: It is NOT a sponsorship of any kind. None, zero, zilch, zip, nada, nothing.

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
We now have 15 team sponsors including some well known companies who wanted to give back to the racers.
hurr
Old 02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RCNitroDude999 View Post
hurr

I call them Team Sponsors for lack of a better word..Our Team members themselves are not sponsored by these companies and they know it
Old 02-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I call them Team Sponsors for lack of a better word..Our Team members themselves are not sponsored by these companies and they know it
Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I have never had a problem finding someone to pit for me or help out with setups and such.Sometimes I even ask complete strangers to pit for me and have had complete strangers ask me to pit them.But I could use a friend to wash my tires in between rounds.Someone to marshal in my place would be pretty sweet too.If anybody wants to volunteer,I'll buy the shirts.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post

You do realize that it's not just local hobby shops that are closing, but ALOT of local shops are closing.

It's not just RC man, welcome to the era of the internet.

It's only going to get worse and worse, no matter how many of you throw the "support you LHS" flag.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi i am very new to the 1/8th racing as i am coming up to my 2nd race meet next weekend. I am just curiuos is thier many team terrible members in australia?

cheers
Old 02-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by yuppi1 View Post
Hi i am very new to the 1/8th racing as i am coming up to my 2nd race meet next weekend. I am just curiuos is thier many team terrible members in australia?

cheers
We have about 20 members in Australia but that is spread out across the whole country. I cant promise you that there will be any at your track. Go to our team website (if you are a member) there is a list of where they all live and what tracks they race at
Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by boomgagem View Post
You do realize that it's not just local hobby shops that are closing, but ALOT of local shops are closing.

It's not just RC man, welcome to the era of the internet.

It's only going to get worse and worse, no matter how many of you throw the "support you LHS" flag.
You do understand this has been going on before the net with especially track shops? The net has just exasperated things even more, which makes things like this that much more hurtful.

If you want to argue it further, I suggest raising it up in the below thread.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lou...ed-driver.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.