Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Help me! I'm New! :) >

Help me! I'm New! :)

Help me! I'm New! :)

Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile Help me! I'm New! :)

Hey guys!
I'm Rory , Im from the UK and im 15 years old.
Ive seen a load of videos on youtube (including yours) and I'm really interested in starting this hobby, I drift online on "Forza Motorsport 3" on Xbox360 and ranked under 100th in the world on some of the tracks so , I recon I could pick this up pretty easily. Oh and also , I drive a real car in the Junior Autocross championships in England so

Anywayy..
I've been looking around and I've figured about by what people have been saying that the Yokomo and Tamiya cars are the best to go for. TT-01 , TAO5??

And I know people say that U have to start with something a bit smaller and more "Beginnerish" but I'd rather dish out the cash straight away that bother with all that. Im sure ill be fine.

So what Im asking for is a list of sites that are in or will deliver to England ( that sell Yokomo & Tamiya RC drift cars) also, Is is 1:10 im supposed to have?

Thanks .
Rory.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I know a lot of folks here are from the UK, but to get a better idea for local retailers in the UK area, you might have a better chance at asking this question at oople.com.

Oople.com is a wonderful RC site, it's one of my favorite. Jimmy, the guy who runs the site, is from the UK and most of the community there is from the UK).

But fear not, I believe someone will be able to answer your question quickly.

For all things Tamiya, I primarily go to rcmart.com. They are one of the sponsors of this wonderful site, rctech.

I've read many posts from the UK guys that they get their stuff fairly quickly, even though rcmart's point of origin is in Hong Kong...

Try there...

Regarding the TT-01 versus TA05 debate, I personally prefer the TA05 because I own one (TA05 version 2), you should come join us in our discussion, as many of the owners are drifters...

The TB03 is similar to the TA05. Many would refer the TB03 as a "TA05 but a shaft version."
Old 01-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

XRAY T3 all the way.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RLMW VQ View Post
XRAY T3 all the way.
Yeah, because he needs a $500 TC to drift with.

If you have no desire to race in the grip world then maybe the brushless HPI Sprint might be a good choice as well.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

X-ray is dominant in racing, but in drifting they dont even rank. Mainly because the gear is too expensive to abuse like that.

The Tamiya cars that you have listed are fine for drifting RC. if thats what you plan to do. I wouldnt bother with the biggest carbon fiber kit if I were going ot drift it. A high quality plastic tub car will do fine. HPI has a high end car that is balanced for drifting and they have a lot of rims and tires that are differrent hardness depending on the angle you like to attack and the surface you will be using. A lot of drifters still make their own tires from black PVC pipe. Some are really good at making them look real.

If you want to race touring then i would suggest an X-Ray T3 or a Tamiya 416x, or maybe a TOP photon. There are lots of great cars out there that you can win with at local tracks. But just like in real racing the bigger the game the more is required of your equipment.

Look here:
www.groovydrift.com
http://www.genkidoridori.com/

http://hpiracing.co.jp/contents/hotb...tcd/index.html

Last edited by snoopyrc; 01-05-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

Well to make it a bit clearer for you guys to help me find what Im looking for :

I just want a car that has good drifting capability , Im not interested in grip racing whatsoever. And I thought the HPI Drift2Sprint ( Which I've looked at a few times) was like , a cheap copy of the tamiya and yokomo rc drift cars?
Which I would not be so interested in because Id rather have something with reasonable durability cause I cant keep dishing out money for spares & repairs. And yeah $500 which is what , nearly 300? Would be a bit out of my price range

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Ooh, What about this?

# 100599 - CUP RACER 1M DRIFT KIT WITH TOYOTA LEVIN AE86 BODY
True Ten Scale 4WD Electric Touring Car with shaft drive, ball bearings, FRP upper deck and chassis. Unassembled with clear body, wheels, and drift tires. Electronics not included. WB225mm

I see its not brushless, thats bad right?
And if I took this car to a drift meeting , would I get "Looked down on" so to speak, because mine is a cheaper version or?
And also , I think my parents would appreciate paying 120 less than a Sprint 2 Flux car :/
Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rozza7 View Post
Ooh, What about this?

# 100599 - CUP RACER 1M DRIFT KIT WITH TOYOTA LEVIN AE86 BODY
True Ten Scale 4WD Electric Touring Car with shaft drive, ball bearings, FRP upper deck and chassis. Unassembled with clear body, wheels, and drift tires. Electronics not included. WB225mm

I see its not brushless, thats bad right?
And if I took this car to a drift meeting , would I get "Looked down on" so to speak, because mine is a cheaper version or?
And also , I think my parents would appreciate paying 120 less than a Sprint 2 Flux car :/
I wouldn't say you'd get looked down on at all. The Cup Racer is a fine car. The only thing is for that price you still need all of the electrics and support equipment.

The Sprint is not a cheap copy of any other car. It is an older platform, but it is totally fine for drifting. The Sprint Flux is the only RTR that comes brushless that I know of. So any other car you get you'd have to get a brushless setup as well adding to the overall price. Don't get me wrong you can drift with a brushed set up, but it will eventually end up cost you more.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

And I thought the HPI Drift2Sprint ( Which I've looked at a few times) was like , a cheap copy of the tamiya and yokomo rc drift cars?
HPI Sprint 2 is not a copy of any other brand car. HPI has been making AWD belt driven cars for awhile. The Sprint 2 is basically a standard belt AWD car. The Drift version just has drift tires, drift springs etc.

Just like the Tamiya TT-01 chassis which isn't a "drift" chassis but could made into a drift car with the proper springs and tires.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im kinda in the same situation as you. i have been racing off-road for 5 yrs or so and just now getting into on-road (Vintage Trans AM class). My advice would be to find what you like and buy one used but still in good condition. that way if you do find that you don't like it (which i doubt cause it's a blast) you wont be to deep into it $$ Wise. You can usually save a good amount of money doing it this way.

Also, if you have to get electronics (motor, ESC) try to get refurbished items (Novak has a lot of Refurb items) I saved $50 by doing it that way and refurb items have the same warranty and has to pass the same tests as the new items have to.

This will help keep the cost's down and like i said before, If you end up not liking it, you get the majority of your money back.

Hope this helps you out and hope you have fun in this hobby ( I know i do! LOL)
Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Well to make it a bit clearer for you guys to help me find what Im looking for :

I just want a car that has good drifting capability , Im not interested in grip racing whatsoever. And I thought the HPI Drift2Sprint ( Which I've looked at a few times) was like , a cheap copy of the tamiya and yokomo rc drift cars?
Which I would not be so interested in because Id rather have something with reasonable durability cause I cant keep dishing out money for spares & repairs. And yeah $500 which is what , nearly 300? Would be a bit out of my price range

Thanks.
hey rory
im ryan. im also 15 and been doing this hobby for 3 years now. i see your interested in this hobby.its a real fun hobby. isee your on a pretty tight budget. sooo you wanna be a drifter eh? well if your on a tight budget and looking for a great and easy car that can be modded i would definately suggest the tamiya tto1, w/o the mods you will be spending from 230-350 bucks. i have one myself except im a grip racer, but there is a tto1 type d. tto1 type d is basically a tto1 but it has the necesities already in it to make it a drifter, such as the tires, front and rear adjustable arms(the orignal tto1 doesnt come with that), tuned motor, and full ball bearing. the regular tto1 does not come with any of that. heers is a few pics of mine.

my tto1 is modded.and again im only 15 and able to do all of this.im sure ull be good at it. in my opinion the tto1 would be great for you
Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Hi Rory,

I am based in the UK, we race as a team of friends at our local club and to be honest we could probably hook you up with one of our 'older' TC's for 50 - 60 and I for one can certainly do you a Brushless Motor and ESc (9T) for 50 a set pf LiPo Batteries (last seasons) for about 30 and a charger for about 25 all you'd need is a Radio combo and I believe one of the guys has a 2.4Ghtz steerwheel for about 60.

It's just an idea but it might be worth you asking some of the UK based racers for some of their older gear as we tend to replace these things on a fairly regular basis. Maybe you will get more bang for your Buck.

Good luck mate and welcome to the sport. (BTW 'grip' Racing is best lol)

Cheers

C2B

Last edited by cherry2blost; 01-05-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You'll find lots of cheap stuff on www.msuk-forum.co.uk. Its probably the biggest UK forum for non racers. I have some 19T motors, ESC's and servos you could have very cheaply if you want them. Also have a few sets of radio gear.

Join up, I'm also hide on there. I'm also sure there will be some people local to you who would help. Not sure you'd want to to go racing in this weather though!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

See told ya lol, always someone to help out us Brits gotta stick together the way that Racechat keeps banning us all.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for everyones help!
from what I can see in any case im going to be spending atleast 300, and tbh. Not to be lazy or anything :P I'd rather go for the Ready-To-Race cars so I can get into it straight away! Also , Im not such a Wizz with mechanical things , my dad runs my car , I just get in a drive Much what I would like to do with this car. I'd like to know how much the TT-01 is in ? For whoever recommended that. With the TT-01 , I would need Tires & Suspension?

EDIT* OH DEAR I just realised the TT-01 is a kit! Dumbass

EDIT* What about the Yokomo Drift Package? They have alot of good bodies and there one of the cheapest Ive seen , No electrics thou. Maybe someone here could sell them to me?

Last edited by Rozza7; 01-06-2010 at 02:16 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.