Like Tree286Likes

Formula 1...

Old 02-27-2002, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

Montoya is good, but I don't favour him and his car. If he had a faster car then he would be a championship contender methinks.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:07 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Fatdoggy: I wasn't really focusing that comment on you. I was just trying to keep this from becoming a my favorite racing is better than your favorite type of deal.

Yokomo fan:Unless some of the other teams come up with something special in the engine department, Montoya and Ralf will have the fastest car. The question is whether or not the power that the engine puts out can be put to good use on anything other than the simplest of tracks. If they can get a good chassis design, Williams will be a force to be recond with. Early on the drivers weren't happy with the car, later Montoya set a track record somewhere(probably on a high speed course) So we'll have to wait and see what their chassis has to offer.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

It is a fact the Williams/BMW has the the most powerful engine on the F1 circuit and if they can get the reliability up this year it should be fun to watch. They are very happy with their new car in the latest testing. Ferrari said they were originally pleased with their new setup but recent testing has brought some problems and they were talking about switching to last years car until the bugs are worked out.

One question. Does anyone know why a lot of the F1 drivers make their home in Monaco? Is it a tax shelter?

IMHO Williams has the car, engine,drivers,$$$. But we will see if they have the luck and reliability that ****ed last year.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:27 PM
Regional Moderator

MDM3: yeah, I forgot about the whole reliability thing. I know about Ferrari's decision with the chassis. I think they and several other teams waited way too long to launch their 2002 chassis.

As for Williams being happy with recent test, we'll have to see what their chassis has to offer. I don't believe you go from being so unhappy with a chassis that your drivers are complaining about the car to the media, to the next week everything is okay and your setting lap records. Still their biggest problem will be end fighting within the team. Formula1.com ran a story today where Montoya is saying that he wants Williams team behind him, like Ferrari is behind Schumacher. Thats just not going to happen when you have two really good drivers at one team. Theres a chance that they might become their own worst enemy this year.

Either way, the better they are, the better the season will be.

I may be a Schumacher and Ferrari fan, but I still like to see competitive racing. I wouldn't mind seeing Renault and Sauber up there fighting for the podium positions.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Corrections-either I was on crack when I wrote down the time originally, or they changed the times on the banner ad on SpeedChannel's website. And since I'm not on crack, something must have changed.

Heres the corrections.

Thurs- live practice- 11pm est
Sat.-live race-9:30pm est

The times for the qualifying and preview show are still the same.

F1 tomorrow baby!
Old 02-27-2002, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by MDM3

One question. Does anyone know why a lot of the F1 drivers make their home in Monaco? Is it a tax shelter?

I think because it is a relatively small place, and they don't draw alot of attention to themselves. Imagine Montoya walking down the street here...he would be horded by thousands of people, and I don't think any of them want that everyday. Also, from what I've heard, is that its a very nice place and they can show of their riches .

Last time I heard there were 10 F1 drivers living there.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:10 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by Modena AL

Imagine Montoya walking down the street here...
I think he could walk down most streets in Tennessee and not be recognized...lol.

The drivers that claim Monaco as their residence is as much for tax reasons as anything else.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

I meant american as a whole.....but I guess your right. The only racing everyone knows here (tennessee) is nascar...its pretty damn hilarious watching them talk about racing. So I guess all F1 drivers should move here....

I dunno...I "tried" to answer MDM3's question
Old 02-27-2002, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Yep that would be my first guess to. C'mon not having to pay tax would be pretty sweet.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:53 PM
Tech Adept

Glad to have found a place to talk racing without going to war LOL
I think he could walk down most streets in Tennessee and not be recognized...

Speaking of Monaco I pulled this relic out of the closet . I couldn't stretch this T-shirt over the gut nowadays. LOL Any one recognize any of the cars?

Well falling asleep at the keys Goodnight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
101-0147_img.jpg (54.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-28-2002, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

WOW. This place has really taken off. Well done Darkside.

I think I'm the grandad among you so I can answer a few of the questions.

MONACO. Yes it is a tax haven. That's why they're all there. And many of those that aren't have a registered domicile address there, for that reason.

ENGINES. From what we hear and read the BMW is giving most brake, though we will never know what the Ferrari gives. Problem with the BMW still seems to be it's reliability, whereas the new Illmor (Mercedes) seems quicker and more reliable than last year's. It couldn't be much worse!

GREATEST DRIVER. I go a bit further than you guys. My all time favorite is Jim Clark. He was so totally dominant, I've never seen it done since. True the Lotus 25 was great but why didn't the other drivers that drove it get the same results. Clark was great.

Monza in 1967 was probably his greatest race even though he didn't win it. He started on pole, ran away, then puncturesd. A pit stop in those days meant a couple of laps, so suddenly everyone thought he was out of the frame. After the stop he drove like the great he was. He broke the lap record lap after lap after lap until 2 laps from the end he actually regained the lead. Then 2 corners from the finish he ran out of fuel, finishing 3rd.

hat does not mean there are no other greats, Fangio - 5 times Champ, Senna, Prost, Lauda, Rindt, Stewart, Moss - who never won a championship, so many. One of my all time favorites was Ronnie Peterson. He was out of the Villeneuve (Gilles, and also Jacques) mould.......head down and goes for it, like Montoya is today.

Of today's crop Michael is clearly ahead but I see lots of new talent.

So who's going to be on pole Saturday, and who's going to win Sunday.

Here's my guess. Pole to Montoya. Win to Coulthard.

Just a guess. Please don't shoot me down.

Darkside. Still on medication but getting better for Sunday. Took the cars to scrutineering yesterday evening. Both OK.

Hope to go down to the RC track this evening and play.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

MDM3.

Just seen your attachment. This is what I make of it.

Starting top left then top right, etc.

Williams, Ferrari, Benetton, McLaren, Lotus, Jordan, Arrows, Ligier, March, Osella - or possibly Alfa.

It's about 10 years old.

regards

Joe.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:37 AM
Regional Moderator

Mondena: in actuallity, some F1 drivers come to the US for vacation, because they know they wont be recognized. M. Schumacher has come here several times to do some rock climbing, skiing and some other stuff. He said that at most 2-maybe 3 people would recognize him.

Of course that was before people started flying planes into buildings and crap like that. Now hes afraid to even come to our country!
Old 02-28-2002, 07:39 AM
Regional Moderator

MDM3: yeah, I recognize all those cars! Nice shirt!
Old 02-28-2002, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

Glad to have found a place to talk racing without going to war LOL

Speaking of Monaco I pulled this relic out of the closet . I couldn't stretch this T-shirt over the gut nowadays. LOL Any one recognize any of the cars?

Well falling asleep at the keys Goodnight.
I see williams, ferrari,bennaton,maclaren

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service