Like Tree286Likes

Formula 1...

Old 02-26-2002, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Darkseid
I used to be a huge NASCAR fan. But, its gotten so commercial now, that I just cant get into it like I used to.

Same here with me...I used to love it...but now its a 4 hour commercial to me. I love how Jeff Gordon HAS to take a sip of pepsi after he wins, LOL.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

<----- CART Fan. F1 may be consider'd the most elite motorsport but they have way to many DNF's for my taste and there only really a few teams that win all the time where as in Cart there is alot more variety. Pitty they broght in that stupid engine rule, now cart will go to the crappers too.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry about that. I meant he is fun crazy not crazy crazy LOL.
What I hate in Nascar is the provisional starts. We have a local guy here Brendan Gagahn(sp?) who runs some of the Busch races and the truck series. He qualified last year for the 400 here and was bumped out by I may be wrong 4 provisional starts(horrible cars but have a name) so he had to spend the day on the sidelines.

There still is no better sound than an F1 winding up. Nothing like it
Old 02-27-2002, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Darkside, thanks for your mail, and for informing me about this site. Well done.

Unfortunately I have had a rough time the last couple of weeks with visits to hospitals and doctors more on the agenda than anything else.

Everything starts this Sunday. We start our National Hill Climb and Sprint Championship this Sunday too, and it's a bit special, so I have been being extra nice to my doctor, who is very understanding. He assures me I will be well enough to compete, Sunday.

It's special because son Josh makes his race debut exactly 37 years after I made mine, on exactly the same hill, and hopefully we will both be driving, though in different cars and classes.

Now to F1. Well, what can I say. It looks like one hell of a season. In over 40 years that I have followed F1, I don't think I ever remember so many competitive teams.

Mc Laren have been going very well, with Coulthard breaking the lap record at Valencia convincingly at their last test session.

Montoya is always quick. Let's hope the BMW engine is more reliable this year.

Michael Schumacher can never be discounted, new car or old. Unfortunately they test at their own circuit so there is very little comparison.

The Saubers are flying, as are the Jordans and the Renaults, and Villeneuve seems happier with the new Bar, though he is not so enthusiastic about Australia....understandable!

So what do you guys think? Well all the experts seem to think either Coulthard or Montoya. I am a Montoya fan so no guessing who i would like to see winning.

In our part of the World the GP is early morning. 5am practice, 6am GP. I'll get on here again after practice. It will be early Saturday morning, though it's going to be a real busy day, preparing our RC cars, as well as our real race cars.

This is our programme for Sunday. Wake at 5am. Switch on telly.
Start charging rc batteries. 6am Start of F1 GP. 8am hitch race car trailer onto van and off to hill climb. 9am Start of Hill Climb. Should be over by 2.30pm.
Hopefully as soon as it is over we will dash straight down to the Rc meeting. Josh presently leads the championship so we wouldn't like to miss any rounds if possible.

Speak to you all later.

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:49 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Really, I didn't want this to become a CART is better, NASCAR sucks type of deal. If your not a F1 fan, thanks for stopping by, but please don't start the whole my style of racing is best thing. If you don't like NASCAR, there has to be at least a couple threads out there that bash NASCAR and Fox.

Lets all just have a little fun talking F1 this season.

We've never had a thread to talk about it on(Johnbull and I used to take over the Yokomo thread!) but now we have one.Yeah!
Old 02-27-2002, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Has anyone gone to a F1 race to watch it in person? I've been to the last two United States grand prixs. UNBELIEVEABLE! If you even remotely like F1 you have to go and watch a race.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:21 AM
Regional Moderator

Johnbull: no problem, you know I had to get you over here.

My take on the up coming race:

Ferrari isn't at as much of an disadvantage as everyone thinks. All the other teams are saying they shouldn't start with their old car. Other teams drivers, like Montoya, justify it by saying"if we started with our old car we'd be tenth on the grid" He has a point, but their old car wasn't the best on the grid last year, Ferrari's was. So I expect them to at least be on the podium. That will be good enough until the new car is ready.

McLaren seems to be right where they were last year. Kind of somewhere there with Ferrari and Williams. With McLaren, they have to straigten out their reliability. I used to be a fan of Coultard. Watching him spend all last year whinning about one thing or another and hyping how "Montoya isn't afraid of Micheal S." and all that kind of turned me agaist him. Now I really hope Kimi R. comes in and out performs him. Coultard seems to be a life time "No.2" driver.

Williams has to get over this non-sense between the drivers. I'm not a fan of Montoya at all, but right now he gives them great chances at winning. Ralf can win on any given day, so he gives them a good chance too. Besides, once Montoya ask for the money he rightfully deserves next year, he'll be shipped out. Just like Villenueve, Frentzen, Button. So why fight? In any case, their success will be determined by whether their car design works on more than half the tracks this year. You can't win a championship winning only on the wide open tracks.

Sauber is the dark horse of this season. Their engine and car design are coming along, but do they have the drivers to properly develope those components?

Renault is getting exactly what they deserve....as an engine maker anyway. Remember when having a Renault engine meant you were going to win something that year, either driver or constructers championship. Then Renault got "bored" with always winning in F1. So they left for a couple of years and thought they could come back and dominate again......don't think so! On the plus side they do have two quality drivers that will net them so much needed points this year.

Jaguar seems to be just spinning their wheels. Every season you keep hearing "and the two Jaguars are running 9th and10th" They don't seem to be moving forward or backward, their just there! And for the love of Pete, Eddie Irvine needs to just SHUT UP! This guys claim to fame is what, one win! His biggest claim to fame is at one point being a team mate of Schumacher's at Ferrari. Where he says he wasn't "intimidated" by Micheal. Whoopty doo! This guy has an opinion of every top driver, all of whom finish in front of him every race! Doesn't make much sense, huh? This race weekend will be his FIRST time in the newest Jaguar! Maybe if he spent more time practicing and less insulting other drivers, he would have more than one race win.....Probably not!

Most of the remaining teams are just out there spinning their wheels. Hoping for some race breakdowns so they'll have a shot at the points.

Last edited by Darkseid; 02-27-2002 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:50 AM
Regional Moderator

Man, I was over at Formula1.com and saw a story that seems to have started about mid last year and just keeps growing. The story this time is being pushed by Montoya, but I cant remember who started this non-sense.

The idea behind the story is that M.Schumacher only wins races because he has the Ferrari team behind him and can only win when he has the best engine and car.

Am I missing something here. Can anyone who has a slightly longer memory than Montoya, tell me where M. Schumacher won his first two championships? Lets see..........hmmmmmm..........wasn't Ferrari.........oh yeah thats right, it was with Benneton.

And what was it about that first championship.......hmmmmmm......on yeah, they were using a FordV8 that was woahfully underpowered compared to the Renault engine that Williams was using.

And what about that second championship......hmmmmm.......thats right, he had the EXACT same Renault engine as the Williams team.

And that third championship.....hmmmmm.......he had a Ferrari car with a weaker engine and not as well designed car as the McLarens he was competing agaist.

The forth championship....for ONCE.....for ONCE!!! He actually had a car and engine combo that was better than his competitors. As a result he totally dominated. But apparently, hes had the best car and engine everytime he has won the championship.....not quite.

Thats what I liked about when Damon Hill and Hakkinen were Schumacher's main rivals, they didn't talk too much or make excusses for why they lost. They just took the car they were given, and did what they could with them. As a result, they both walked away with a couple of championships. There has to be a lesson there somewhere. Maybe, stop whinning and just race.

How much does a guy have to win before people give him a little credit? Jezzz.

Last edited by Darkseid; 02-27-2002 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah yeah, watching F1 in perosn is amazing said a friend of mine, but you don't get to see much of the cars when they come past, there so quick.

Nascar really doesn't interest me, either that or the UK tv channels don't show them All I think nascar is are road cars with stickers and a body kit, going around in circles or ovals.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Micheal Schumacher wins all the time only because HE IS THE BEST DRIVER IN THE WORLD!!!

You made some excellet points darkseid...im glad im not the only one that see it that way. Put him with anyteam and they will INSTANTLY be the best team. If he was driving for Jaguar I guarrantee you they would be a force to be reckoned with....hell, he could even take that minardi POS to the podium.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Modena AL
Micheal Schumacher wins all the time only because HE IS THE BEST DRIVER IN THE WORLD!!!

You made some excellet points darkseid...im glad im not the only one that see it that way. Put him with anyteam and they will INSTANTLY be the best team. If he was driving for Jaguar I guarrantee you they would be a force to be reckoned with....hell, he could even take that minardi POS to the podium.
I agree that he is the present best driver since Hakkinen has left for a year, but they thing is, he doesn't win all the races. Hakkinen kicked shuie's arse in the year before easily.

Schuie maybe a great driver but never can he be compared to Arton Sena, THE BEST RACING MAN ever to exsist. You may not have watched F1 long enough to know how great Arton (air-ton) Sena is.

Heh, just saw the F1 advert, this saturday qualifying.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Yokomo Fan

Schuie maybe a great driver but never can he be compared to Arton Sena, THE BEST RACING MAN ever to exsist. You may not have watched F1 long enough to know how great Arton (air-ton) Sena is.

My comment was meant to speak of the present time.

I've been a F1 fan for 12 year. I know of the Great Aryton Senna. Its a shame he had to go that way. I think that he would still be racing to this day.

Old 02-27-2002, 11:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Modena AL

My comment was meant to speak of the present time.

I've been a F1 fan for 12 year. I know of the Great Aryton Senna. Its a shame he had to go that way. I think that he would still be racing to this day.

Yes no doubt senna was the greatest driver of any sport, he died in a horrible way. His death made many people realiase that F1 needed to be safer.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:30 AM
Regional Moderator

Mondena: I'm with you. When I speak of who is best, who is worst or whatever. I'm speaking of right now. I don't go for that stuff where people speak of past drivers, players or worst of all (past baseball players ), because they will always say they are better. So whats the point of even speaking about it.

Yokomo fan: I find it odd that no one ever said the things about Hakkinen, that they say about Schuie. Even the McLaren team managers admitted, and I quote "to beat Schumacher and Ferrari, we must give our drivers a better car and engine". Thats coming from a quote give to Reuters in an interview while Hakkinen was still with the team. Yet, no one ever says Hakkienen had a better car and engine, and thats why he won two championships. Why not?

Also if I'm not mistaken, Schumacher has won the last couple championships, so it wasn't the year before when Hakkinen "kicked his arse"

Your right about one thing though, Schumacher doesn't win ALL the races.........but, then again who does?
Old 02-27-2002, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Darkseid
Really, I didn't want this to become a CART is better, NASCAR sucks type of deal. If your not a F1 fan, thanks for stopping by, but please don't start the whole my style of racing is best thing. If you don't like NASCAR, there has to be at least a couple threads out there that bash NASCAR and Fox.

Lets all just have a little fun talking F1 this season.

We've never had a thread to talk about it on(Johnbull and I used to take over the Yokomo thread!) but now we have one.Yeah!
My comment was not ment that way.

P.S. GO MONTOYA !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service