Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
DO NOT SEND PERSONAL PAYPAL PAYMENTS >

DO NOT SEND PERSONAL PAYPAL PAYMENTS

DO NOT SEND PERSONAL PAYPAL PAYMENTS

Old 09-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)
Default .

Personal is only good to use for ppl you know and dont want to charge paypal fee. But if you buying or selling something to someone you dont know, is best not to use personal.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RaptorRidr660r View Post
Yes it is different, its for personal transfers and they don't take any fees out. so if you wanted to loan your bother money(for example) its free on both ends to do on Pay Pal now.
I gotcha guys now, so this can actually be a good thing. If you don't know the guy send it normal and let paypal have their fees.

Steve
Old 09-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My opinion...

I haven't sold anything on rctech yet but I have on other sites. I have had people pay me with the personal option with no problems. I guess you would have to go with your instinct if you were gonna use this option. (Sellers comunication, feedbacks, etc.) I have talked to guys on the phone first even. Anyway it does help. The 10R5 oval I am selling I make $15. After paypal fees it would be about $7 so I am grateful for the payments through the personal option.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Paypal tip: When paying high ticket items.. select additional funding option and use a credit card, preferably American Express (less paper work for disputes). This way if Paypal decides to against you, you have a second line of defense, your credit card. When the credit card disputes the charge, paypal will get the money from the other party
Old 09-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Paypal tip: When paying high ticket items.. select additional funding option and use a credit card, preferably American Express (less paper work for disputes). This way if Paypal decides to against you, you have a second line of defense, your credit card. When the credit card disputes the charge, paypal will get the money from the other party
Thats all well and good but how many individuals can take a credit card based paypal? I don't think I can. Everytime I've tried, the person I'm trying to send money too doesn't/can't accept it.

I do it with businesses though, always if its the 1st time I've doine business with them.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

i see.....thankz for the heads up....
Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Be careful with the personal payment. I almost lost some money on a small deal elsewhere but the person mother came through after a little "pursuading".
Old 09-16-2009, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
We'll see.

I did a personal payment for $195 to a scammer. No ability to dispute it, but I used an Amex to fund it and disputed the charge yesterday. I will let you know how it turns out.

I don't expect it to be positive for me in anyway, but I'll let you know.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jamog View Post
My opinion...

I haven't sold anything on rctech yet but I have on other sites. I have had people pay me with the personal option with no problems. I guess you would have to go with your instinct if you were gonna use this option. (Sellers comunication, feedbacks, etc.) I have talked to guys on the phone first even. Anyway it does help. The 10R5 oval I am selling I make $15. After paypal fees it would be about $7 so I am grateful for the payments through the personal option.
That's your choice. I have made one personal payment and I got scammed so I will never be doing it again unless I know the person I'm sending money to.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

I have attached a screen print with the personal option circled. I was frustrated when I created this thread because I just got scammed so I was thinking that most people wouldn't know what I was talking about.

Sorry.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
Thats all well and good but how many individuals can take a credit card based paypal? I don't think I can. Everytime I've tried, the person I'm trying to send money too doesn't/can't accept it.

I do it with businesses though, always if its the 1st time I've doine business with them.
It depends on the type of paypal account. I'm not clear on the account name types, I think premier paypal accounts can accept cc backed payments, these accounts can also be charged fees by paypal. The other account type is not charged fees by paypal and can only accept bank backed payments. I believe the reasoning is paypal has to pay fees to the cc companies but not to banks.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Doesn anyone know what percent paypal takes for their "fees"?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
We'll see.

I did a personal payment for $195 to a scammer. No ability to dispute it, but I used an Amex to fund it and disputed the charge yesterday. I will let you know how it turns out.

I don't expect it to be positive for me in anyway, but I'll let you know.
I've had AMEX back all my paypal purchases, never tried a personal payment. Lately AMEX has been advertising their purchased goods warranty, nice to see a credit card not droping all customer perks. Thanks for the heads up and good luck with this!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mach1rustler View Post
Doesn anyone know what percent paypal takes for their "fees"?
http://blog.brush.co.nz/2007/08/payp...s-for-dummies/

The juicy summary

So, in short, assuming you have a U.S. PayPal account:

The basic fee when people pay you is 2.9% + $0.30. The percentage goes down if your monthly sales are over $3000.

The international fee when non-U.S. people pay you is 3.9% + $0.30. Again, reduced percentage for high sales volume.

These fees are charged to the you, the seller. To calculate the total if youíre passing on the fee to the buyer, just re-arrange the formula like so (rate is 0.029 or 0.039):

total = (amount + 0.30) / (1 - rate)

PayPal charges the buyer a 2.5% currency conversion fee if heís paying you in a different currency than you asked for. You as the seller donít have to worry about this.

MassPay fee. If youíre using the MassPay feature or API call, PayPal charges you 2% of the amount youíre paying, but itís capped at US$1.00.

Rounding. PayPal fees are rounded using arithmetic rounding. So $4.505 rounds to $4.51, not $4.50.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamog View Post
My opinion...

I dont know what fee structre your looking at , at max paypal and ebay charge you 10% of total selling cost. Might want to look at those again....No where near 50%+

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.