Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Local Hobby shop vs. Online >

Local Hobby shop vs. Online

Local Hobby shop vs. Online

Old 09-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Had a good lhs with knowledgeable, pretty friendly staff on my way to where I used to be working. Was easy to stop off on way home once or twice a week. Don't work there anymore and that lhs has relocated farther away. I still make the 1hr+ trip to buy nitro from a diff shop. Rest of my stuff comes from online. When I break something, I never buy just one so I build spares.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
Had a good lhs with knowledgeable, pretty friendly staff on my way to where I used to be working. Was easy to stop off on way home once or twice a week. Don't work there anymore and that lhs has relocated farther away. I still make the 1hr+ trip to buy nitro from a diff shop. Rest of my stuff comes from online. When I break something, I never buy just one so I build spares.
Man that sucks! Well rite now we have guys traveling 1.5hrs+ just to do buisness with us, so not complaining and we must be doing something rite!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Champion

For consumables i'll use the trackside shop, check what they have online, then email them asking them to bring it with them for race day. They usually give me a little discount too from the internet price which is really good of them

For bigger purchases, such as servos and cells etc etc, i'll shop around.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Initiate

It really depends on what I need. I found a small hobby shop ran by an old japanese lady about 3 minutes from my house, so I go there if I need something then I go their. I found some really good ones closer to Tokyo that I go to. But if I can't find what I want and I can get it online for cheap and don't mind waiting then I'll buy online.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

While I use the internet, I'd prefer to use my local track/hobby shop! They are the ones that provide everything that's needed when it is race time, electricity, pit space, track, excitement, technical (can't get hands on tech online) assistance, etc. The prices are comparable (when you figure in shipping for online purchases it's actually better locally). Example, Havoc 21.5 locally is $149 as it is online but then you tack in shipping and tax (I live in Illinois and Tower has to put tax on it, I know they are not the only online shop). Yes they occasionally offer good discounts and if you "join" their club you get a better discount but the prices usually even out.

I had a hard time recently buying my new RS 17.5 online recently but since I saved over $100 off retail on the set and a hotwire (brand new) I went ahead and did it.

All in all, please support your local shop as much as possible. Without them, many tracks might not be there!

Shameless plug:
The Track @ Harbor Hobbies
Old 09-19-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Here's what I have found. I only race kits the track stock. Parts are always there and if I want any thing special I order it from the track. I have found with shipping unless its a major size order the shipping brings in the same cost usually. I can go to my track 5 minutes from my house and get any thing I need the pro shop is second to none. I'm fortunate in that respect.

Now that said. Its impossible to beat Avids bearing prices. So the net comes in handy.

One thing I like about the net is its a one stop shop-a-tron. Anything you want at your fingertips. Gotta love that.
Shops will have to make it on bashers, cause racers generally buy at the track and on the net.

A track with a supporting shop should survive but the hobby shops are taking it pretty hard. We have to left in a 50 mile radius.

The bashers are going to have to crash over time to keep the shops open.
I have to wonder if the basher market is still as strong as it once was?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

i prefer to buy online because in my area the LHS only have tamiya's and cheap nitro-if-it-is-broke-sorry-I-cannot-help-you-with-spares-throw-it-in-a-thrascan-cars! So I order most of my stuff direct in Taiwan at the factory. I also shop at RCMart and RCmodels.hk. For my boats I prefer Rocketcity Racing in Florida where I order and Dave myles in the UK and some German shops.