Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Electronic Scoring >

Electronic Scoring

Electronic Scoring

Old 07-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Lightbulb Electronic Scoring

So I am looking around for tracks that want to try out our Electronic Scoring product. We are on the verge of releasing a new Transponder that will attach to an RC and produce laptimes and overall time during a race. The same kind of thing that NASCAR uses but on a much smaller scale. The transponder will cost dramatically less than any other product out there and will be direct wired so no Re-Charging of the Transponder will be needed.

Anyone want to try it out or can you direct me to some tracks that would like to use electronic scoring. It will work in the dirt or on pavement.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoeBoeDog View Post
So I am looking around for tracks that want to try out our Electronic Scoring product. We are on the verge of releasing a new Transponder that will attach to an RC and produce laptimes and overall time during a race. The same kind of thing that NASCAR uses but on a much smaller scale. The transponder will cost dramatically less than any other product out there and will be direct wired so no Re-Charging of the Transponder will be needed.

Anyone want to try it out or can you direct me to some tracks that would like to use electronic scoring. It will work in the dirt or on pavement.
how much does the transponder weigh and whats the draw?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm interested.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

I would to get some info please.

Tyler
Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

I own a track - www.rchr.biz, currently have AMBrc3 decoder, 20 house transponders, and RC Scoring Pro standard, also familiar with Autoscore, Sparc2 and Laps Free software.

lets see what you got

The first thing I think about customers plugging the transponder into their own stuff is, will it be damaged being plugged in backwards, and will the lead wire be replaceable when the customer rips out/destroys the connector? <--- It will absolutely happen.

Is it optical, or radio transmission?

Your own software or does it use other software already available?

Can customer buy their own personal transponder?

Last edited by RCHR; 07-14-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Rookie

So the size of the Transponder is 1" x 0.58" x 0.1" - It weighs about 2 grams and it will draw 5 milliamps of of power.

The cost of the transponder is 40 dollars when sold individually and I will sell them in a multi pack of 5 transponders but I am trying to nail down that price still. I am trying to get the package price down to 150 dollars for a 5 transponder pack, that would be 35 dollars each when sold in a pack of 5. I could work out lower prices as the package quantity goes up.

To answer RCHR's question about software: We have software that goes with our transponder system. We are currently working out some minor details so that our software can read an AMB transponder. This will help in switching over to our product, that and my ability to severely undercut the cost of the AMB transponders that you are currently using.

The transponder will use a standard crimp on type of plug that will be easy to replace if for some reason the plug is ripped off during the fervor of a race, if the user wanted to they could remove the plug and direct wire. If for some reason the transponder is plugged in backwards it would not be damaged, but it would not work. This would be easy to detect on a service loop.

I am trying to get the transponder price low enough, that a racer that has more than one car, can afford a transponder per each car. The software will track more than one transponder to a racer.

BTW: Nice track RCHR
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You DEF have MANY interested folks here. I like the idea that an AMB transponder will eventually work with your software, but will your transponder work with an AMB system, like Jlap, etc...? That part is CRITICAL. AFAIK, 90% of tracks use the AMB system. Even as cheap as yours would be, if people can't use it at their local track they likely won't sell as well.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
You DEF have MANY interested folks here. I like the idea that an AMB transponder will eventually work with your software, but will your transponder work with an AMB system, like Jlap, etc...? That part is CRITICAL. AFAIK, 90% of tracks use the AMB system. Even as cheap as yours would be, if people can't use it at their local track they likely won't sell as well.
LOL If they do now, I bet they won't after the first AMB software update after this new transponder hits the street. I doubt that AMB will be pleased at all with a competing system.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

How much does the software cost for this system? If its a good price and it compatible with AMB transponders you mite have something here. I'm in charge of building a track and we will be looking for counting system in the future.
Whats your companies name? website?
Tyler
Old 07-16-2009, 04:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
LOL If they do now, I bet they won't after the first AMB software update after this new transponder hits the street. I doubt that AMB will be pleased at all with a competing system.
+1. Once AMB gets wind of whats going on here, I'm sure there will be an update of somekind. As far as them not being happy about it, well, thats their problem. AMB has been raping us for years, and it's about time someone comes along with a better, less expensive mouse trap.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
+1. Once AMB gets wind of whats going on here, I'm sure there will be an update of somekind. As far as them not being happy about it, well, thats their problem. AMB has been raping us for years, and it's about time someone comes along with a better, less expensive mouse trap.

Oh I aggree. The AMB transponders cost WAY more than they are worth. Honestly, there is probably $5 worth of circuitry inside those things. Except for the fact that they transmit, there isn't any more technology in them than the average parking garage pass card. All the real magic is in the software. My point is that AMB will NOT want a competing transponder to work with their system. I'm sure if there is some way to lock them out that they will.

This is pretty common. Back in the email wars days when the big software companies were battling over whose corporate email system would win, the biggest battle was between IMB Lotus and Microsoft Exchange. I had a freind who worked at Microsoft at the time, and he told me that they had a saying: "Windows ain't done til' Lotus won't run". I'm sure the same feelings will be going around at AMB if some ture competition pops up.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Oh I aggree. The AMB transponders cost WAY more than they are worth. Honestly, there is probably $5 worth of circuitry inside those things. Except for the fact that they transmit, there isn't any more technology in them than the average parking garage pass card. All the real magic is in the software. My point is that AMB will NOT want a competing transponder to work with their system. I'm sure if there is some way to lock them out that they will.

This is pretty common. Back in the email wars days when the big software companies were battling over whose corporate email system would win, the biggest battle was between IMB Lotus and Microsoft Exchange. I had a freind who worked at Microsoft at the time, and he told me that they had a saying: "Windows ain't done til' Lotus won't run". I'm sure the same feelings will be going around at AMB if some ture competition pops up.
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
+1
Old 07-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

You are all correct: Our Transponder will not be read by any of the AMB Transponder Software systems.

This is where we (Westhold) would want you to switch over to our System. I am hoping that the low overall cost of our system will move you away from the AMB product.

I understand any ones hesitation from moving away from AMB when you have invested money into that system already. This is way we have driven down the cost of our Transponder so low. Furthermore that is why we are working so hard to crack the AMB System so that our software will pick up an AMB transponder crossing the finish line and be recorded like any transponder. I am working out the cost of the software now. I want to make the deal so attractive; that you will unplug your AMB system ASAP.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

You are all correct: Our Transponder will not be read by any of the AMB Transponder Software systems.

This is where we (Westhold) would want you to switch over to our System. I am hoping that the low overall cost of our system will move you away from the AMB product.

I understand any ones hesitation from moving away from AMB when you have invested money into that system already. This is way we have driven down the cost of our Transponder so low. Furthermore that is why we are working so hard to crack the AMB System so that our software will pick up an AMB transponder crossing the finish line and be recorded like any transponder. I am working out the cost of the software now. I want to make the deal so attractive; that you will unplug your AMB system ASAP.
Let me know how much a hole system would be or starter package for a track. Will your transponders be readable by some of the downloadable programs? ILap i cant remeber the over ones.

Tyler
Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

The affordability as far as the transponders sounds great, but what about the cost of things like decoders, scoring loops etc? Also, just as a suggestion, perhaps make your hardware compatable with RCScoring Pro's software?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.