Building Coumputer >

Building Coumputer

Building Coumputer

Old 07-02-2009, 04:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

That's pretty awesome! I have just one question though............. Is the purple hair an absolute requirement to a sucsessfull build?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

Greetings:

I may have a slight change in plans for my computer...
after visiting a AV store I saw the new Samsung 53" OLED TV. I am thinking abut repacing my current TV with this and using my gaming computer I'm building as part of my HT setup.
I don't have anything as nice as CaptnCrunch's (I am in total likeness of your setup) but I have a small one in my house.
the 2ms on the 53" OLED is the same as the monitor I was looking at.
has anyone else do this??? I would still want to game and play/record DVD etc

Thanks

Best Regards
Old 07-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fakk2 View Post
Greetings:

I may have a slight change in plans for my computer...
after visiting a AV store I saw the new Samsung 53" OLED TV. I am thinking abut repacing my current TV with this and using my gaming computer I'm building as part of my HT setup.
I don't have anything as nice as CaptnCrunch's (I am in total likeness of your setup) but I have a small one in my house.
the 2ms on the 53" OLED is the same as the monitor I was looking at.
has anyone else do this??? I would still want to game and play/record DVD etc

Thanks

Best Regards

Check the resolution of the TV. Alot (MOST) flat panel TV's have a max computer resolution of 1366X768 which isn't really enough for computer gaming. Some though have a max of 1920X1200.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Actually I think that the weakness in the computer that I have hooked to the HT is in it's video capabilities. It has a decent Creative Audigy Pro 5.1 card. My sound system is 5.1 anyway, and the VAST majority of the DVD's I have use either Dolby AC-3 or DTS encoding, which are both 5.1. I don't really need a 6.1 or 7.1 system right now, and I'll have to do alot of hardware upgrades to support it when I do. The video in that comp on the other hand is only a Geforce 8600GT. The comp has a sub-micro case, and won't support a full length video card. It works great for online gaming at reasonable frame rates, but I'm not sure if it would suffice as a video card for a HTPC.

I might try it though just for giggles. What ripping program would you recommend?
I wouldn't try that yet....I am still looking at your video setup. What type of inputs you have for your projector? If you have a DVI input, chances are, you might really don't need to change anything....maybe your card, but that is depending on how the quality of the 8600 is for video playback. I used to use a S-Video to plug into one of my TVs. It was very dissapointing. However, if your projector comes with HDMI or DVI inputs, then you can use either DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI cables. This can improve your video quality greatly.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by GundamWZero View Post
I wouldn't try that yet....I am still looking at your video setup. What type of inputs you have for your projector? If you have a DVI input, chances are, you might really don't need to change anything....maybe your card, but that is depending on how the quality of the 8600 is for video playback. I used to use a S-Video to plug into one of my TVs. It was very dissapointing. However, if your projector comes with HDMI or DVI inputs, then you can use either DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI cables. This can improve your video quality greatly.
The computer is connected to the projector via a DVI cable. The DVD player has an HDMI to DVI cable going to the second DVI connection on the Projector. The projector is about 3 1/2 years old and does not have an HDMI connector. The original DVD player I had hooked to it went from DVI to component video. I think that as far as video quality goes, the DVI is basically as good as the HDMI. HDMI will also process the sound, but I don't do that anyway. That goes through my AV receiver and never touches the projector. I'm really not too worried about hardware. I can always tear the current computer down, transfer the components to a case that will handle a full length video card and drop in a high end card. I guess what I'm concerned about is introducing video artifacts into the movie during the ripping/playback process. A 120" screen IS NOT forgiving to video blemishes. If you can see it on a 50" screen, it will look BAD on the 120".

Actually when I say 120" I'm talking about non widescreen video, or 3:4 aspect ratio (standard non widescreen TV). In widescreen 16:9 output the prjector displays a 102" screen. I bought a projector that displayed natively in 3:4 because if I had chosen a native 16:9 projector, 3:4 video would be displayed MUCH smaller with blank areas on the sides. As it is, when I'm watching an older TV series on DVD that was filmed in 3:4 the display is HUGE. It literally fills the screen from floor to ceiling.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
The computer is connected to the projector via a DVI cable. The DVD player has an HDMI to DVI cable going to the second DVI connection on the Projector. The projector is about 3 1/2 years old and does not have an HDMI connector. The original DVD player I had hooked to it went from DVI to component video. I think that as far as video quality goes, the DVI is basically as good as the HDMI. HDMI will also process the sound, but I don't do that anyway. That goes through my AV receiver and never touches the projector. I'm really not too worried about hardware. I can always tear the current computer down, transfer the components to a case that will handle a full length video card and drop in a high end card. I guess what I'm concerned about is introducing video artifacts into the movie during the ripping/playback process. A 120" screen IS NOT forgiving to video blemishes. If you can see it on a 50" screen, it will look BAD on the 120".

Actually when I say 120" I'm talking about non widescreen video, or 3:4 aspect ratio (standard non widescreen TV). In widescreen 16:9 output the prjector displays a 102" screen. I bought a projector that displayed natively in 3:4 because if I had chosen a native 16:9 projector, 3:4 video would be displayed MUCH smaller with blank areas on the sides. As it is, when I'm watching an older TV series on DVD that was filmed in 3:4 the display is HUGE. It literally fills the screen from floor to ceiling.
Okay...I see. So you are on the hunt for an encoder, to bring those old school videos down to size...I can't quite help on that... I use PS3 Video 9 from Red Kawa. Although it can crunch the video size to different formats ( aspect ratios) I haven't see it tried for a 102" to a letterbox or widescreen version.

Speaking of which....here is my Kenwood THX Ultra/Yamaha 7.1 setup:

These were taken from when I was stationed in California. Here in Texas, the Yamaha speaker placements are on the ceiling.....except for the front Yamaha towers.....they are too heavy to hang on the wall.

Edit: While we are discussing computers....I just decided to "donkey punch" my Intel E6320 CPU from 1.86GHz to 3.15GHz:

Last edited by GundamWZero; 07-04-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Rookie

This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing
Old 08-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)