Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
how many of you drove a vehicle home that you bought without insurance??? >

how many of you drove a vehicle home that you bought without insurance???

how many of you drove a vehicle home that you bought without insurance???

Old 05-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default how many of you drove a vehicle home that you bought without insurance???

i dunno... i was just thinking about how many of you drove home that you bought or was given that didnt have any insurance on it.. you just stole your buddies license plates and ripped it home?? im trading (if my uncle wants it, my broken 1988 s15 pickup) for an older 80's s10 blazer that is about 1 hour away from where i live.. course it has no insurance papers yet but i'll just toss my ranger plates on it ( i know the s10 blazers/jimmy's are a car plate, where i live) and drive her home on the backroads... all i gotta do is take a left out of my uncle's driveway, go down the road, take a left, then left at the lights hit the main highway for about 5-6 kms then take a left onto a skinny arse road (its about 1 1/2 lanes wide in one section) along a mountain, that will take me most of the way home, then once i hit the other highway, take a left, go down there till i hit the road my parents live on, take a right on that, then i'll be moved by then, so i take a right at a store, go down there for awhile take a left and that takes me to another highway then its right or left depending on where i find a place to live..

how bout you guys?? got any stories???
Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savage.25 View Post
i dunno... i was just thinking about how many of you drove home that you bought or was given that didnt have any insurance on it.. you just stole your buddies license plates and ripped it home?? im trading (if my uncle wants it, my broken 1988 s15 pickup) for an older 80's s10 blazer that is about 1 hour away from where i live.. course it has no insurance papers yet but i'll just toss my ranger plates on it ( i know the s10 blazers/jimmy's are a car plate, where i live) and drive her home on the backroads... all i gotta do is take a left out of my uncle's driveway, go down the road, take a left, then left at the lights hit the main highway for about 5-6 kms then take a left onto a skinny arse road (its about 1 1/2 lanes wide in one section) along a mountain, that will take me most of the way home, then once i hit the other highway, take a left, go down there till i hit the road my parents live on, take a right on that, then i'll be moved by then, so i take a right at a store, go down there for awhile take a left and that takes me to another highway then its right or left depending on where i find a place to live..

how bout you guys?? got any stories???
Uh.....nope.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Way too much effort. You're better off to get a bill of sale, don't put any plates on it, and carry your current insurance card with you. You have about 15-30 days to insure and plate a vehicle after you buy it. That way you're not hiding anything. If you don't have insurance right now, you may consider having your dad drive it home, carrying his current insurance card.

Done this many times. The odds of getting stopped for it are slim to none, but with that bill of sale being dated and signed, it keeps you out of trouble. I got pulled over in my first vette for no plates through a DUI checkpoint, but I had a bill of sale and an Air Force ID card, with an expired Illinois drivers license in California and they still didn't care.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think it was your Air Force ID that got you out of that.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

sounds like getting a bill of sale is too much work.. i have insurance on my ranger right now.. im paying 120 bucks a month, if i had the papers i could swap the insurance but here where i live you cant do piss all without the papers.. we dont have "insurance cards" here,unless your talking about a driver's license card???, all we got is the registration and insurance papers, a and of course DL card... im going with a friend of mine and we want to hit the hobby shop and buy rc stuff then a couple other places, then grab the truck and drive it home.. but i should probably get a bill of sale for it though even though its just gonna be a bush truck...
Old 05-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hell i would have and did

i drove around phoenix for years without insurance on my busa cause it cost 290 a month i dont hesitate but then again i dont put myself in situations to get into accidents or get pulled over

since in oklahoma all my insurance is 250 a month on the 3 trucks 1 car 1 suv and 4 bikes and thats the wife an d i both i was just payin that on 2 trucks and the suv in phoenix

i love the farm lol
Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Any car I buy, I am automatically insured in it the second it's mine.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well i get the pink slip of the car with a bill of sale with the date on it. just incase but iv done it numerous times... also helps to have a buddy drive right behind.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I've driven quite a few cars home right after purchase. Just make sure you have a pink slip, bill of sale and make sure the vehicle is safe to drive.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

oh ya its safe to drive and everything.. its at my uncle's automotive shop right now.. hmmm... ya i might get a buddy to drive behind me most of the way home.. im paying 120 bucks a month canadian for insurance and 140 bucks a month for the loan payment for my ranger.. so thats 260 a month for one vehicle. my s15 is not insured as its broken. looks like im not the only one driving without insurance!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
I think it was your Air Force ID that got you out of that.
Yes and no. It only got me out of the expired drivers license.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savage.25 View Post
oh ya its safe to drive and everything.. its at my uncle's automotive shop right now.. hmmm... ya i might get a buddy to drive behind me most of the way home.. im paying 120 bucks a month canadian for insurance and 140 bucks a month for the loan payment for my ranger.. so thats 260 a month for one vehicle. my s15 is not insured as its broken. looks like im not the only one driving without insurance!!!
Thats nothin... My car payment by itself is 580/month... and I think I pay about 70/mo in insurance.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I drove around without a license for 2.5 years...State said I didnt pay the fine on time but I did....cant fight city hall...so finally I just sent the DL in to the State and 10 days later my new license arrived in the mail..I had insurance the whole time....
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aaron2u View Post
Yes and no. It only got me out of the expired drivers license.
I drove on an expired drivers license several times in the Air Force. Most states have a rule that if you are a resident in the military and out of the country, you have like 90 days from the time you get back to CONUS to get a new license.

Savage: I definately WOULD NOT put someone else's tags on a car. I don't know the laws in Canada, but in some US states that's a Felony. As far as insurance, if you have it on your current vehicle, your policy MIGHT cover you to get the other one home. But you would need to check with your agent.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goodtunes1978 View Post
hell i would have and did

i drove around phoenix for years without insurance on my busa cause it cost 290 a month i dont hesitate but then again i dont put myself in situations to get into accidents or get pulled over

since in oklahoma all my insurance is 250 a month on the 3 trucks 1 car 1 suv and 4 bikes and thats the wife an d i both i was just payin that on 2 trucks and the suv in phoenix

i love the farm lol
Hmmmmm....... I hope that wasn't YOU that blew by me at about 140 one night on a Hayabusa when I was passing through that part of the state.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.