Why are you into RC and who got you into it

Why are you into RC and who got you into it

Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Why are you into RC and who got you into it

Just like the title says! Who got you into the hobby/sport

And why are you into it?

I have somewhat if a gay story to tell. For me its rather sad. And it all happen in 1994 I was 7. Its something that stuck with me for a long time! And its part of the reason I'm into the hobby.

I wanna hear you guys first!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My dad bought us a 1/8 Nitro Buggy, we used it a lot and its still in our garage. My brother was never that interested, but I carried on with RC.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Paintball kind of died where I am. And I was going through an adrenaline withdrawal. RC seemed like a good release for that.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

my parents bought me a "life-like" slot car track for my 10th birthday. it was awesome to a 10year old kid, the my parents said that I could use my Christmas $$ to buy some different cars, the hobby shop had an onroad parking lot race going on... never had enough $$/parents wouldn't let me get a true RC, but once the LHS owner let me drive his mini-t(when they first came out) I annoyed my parents day and night, till they finally they let me buy a RS Xmod, soooo much $$ was wasted on those little POSes... then I got a RC18b

and it all went downhill from there

cars I own, or have owned...
RC18b
mini-t (x2)
stampede
evader BX
RC10B4
Ofna Hyper 7 PBS
tamiya mini cooper
old style E-maxx
TT-01D
slash
new style E-maxx
xmods
and a few more that I can't remember
Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
And why are you into it?
Because it's cheaper than the real thing.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

I got into R/C in '89. I ran a tamyia midnight pumpkin, with a old futaba 2 stick radio. I was only 4, so i really couldnt get the hang of anything, so my dad had to move my fingers on the remote for me.

My dad got my into it, as he was into it for a few years. As the years went on, I became as addicted to this sport, as a crack head looking for a fix, and sadly my father quit, to get into boating.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Because it's cheaper than the real thing.
+1
Old 05-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

When I was a 10 yr old kid back in the 70's I had an RC mustang that steered itself with 2 motors on the drive wheels and a pivoting front axle - ran on AA's. All it could do was pretty much spin donuts on the linoleum but I could never get enough of it, I just couldn't afford anything bigger or faster.

When I had my own kids I put controllers in their hands when they were toddlers and every couple years they'd get a little bit faster cars, always a matched set so they could race each other. One day a buddy needed cash and sold me all his RC stuff for $200 and it came with some jewels like a Monster Beetle, Losi Jr2 and a 4wd Vanquish. I gave one to each kid and it was all over, no more RadioShack RC for us!
About that time a local hobby shop opened up with a track and we started racing Duratrax's and then trading up to better cars and trucks. We've been through about 40 cars in the last 6 years, but still have those original 3 that got us hooked.

I probably would have given up on RC a couple years back due to the expense and time needed but the kids really wanted to keep it going. It's a great way to spend time with them (now in HS and college) and I figure I'll have plenty of time to fish when they're gone...

So what's your story Hyde?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

About 12 years ago my friend and I were watching a marathon of Junkyard Wars and got the urge to build something. We went to the nearest RC store and bought our first kits. 12 cars later I'm still in and racing but my buddies interest has died out.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

i was born in 1988 so in the early 90's i got 3 electric RC's and ripped them around and finally broke them.. then i didnt bother with RC till 3 years ago when i saw a video on youtube of the nitro's... i went to my local hobby shop and saw a savage 25 RTR sitting there asked a few questions and stuff.. then went back the next day and bought it plus all the stuff to run it.. fuel, batteries, chargers etc.. and now im hooked on nitro's... i do also race lawnmowers too but thats much cheaper than RC!!! got 500 bucks into my ford racing lawnmower and 2000 bucks into my savage... hehehe..
Old 05-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Initiate

well when i was 8 i walked into a hobby store and i saw a video of the jato and said i have to get that. then 2 weeks before my 14 i walked in the hobby store and talked with the guy so i got talked into the tmaxx and 2 weeks later a big gift wrapped box showed up in my room and i got hooked
Old 05-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A friend of mine got me into it back in 1984, I had been racing bikes (gsxr 750) and had a pretty bad crash at willow springs..got taken out going into turn 1, I was not going to be able to race for a few months so my buddy talked me into trying RC..I'm still pissed at him..
Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fas1 View Post
A friend of mine got me into it back in 1984, I had been racing bikes (gsxr 750) and had a pretty bad crash at willow springs..got taken out going into turn 1, I was not going to be able to race for a few months so my buddy talked me into trying RC..I'm still pissed at him..
Amazing. I rolled my 2000 GT mustang coming OUT of turn two at willow... suposedly, one of THEE worst crashes the track had ever seen. I rolled it at 90mph.. car rolled and rolled, then slid 700 feet. The cealing of my car was resting against the center console / gear shift when all was said and done.

Anyway... I got into RC when i was 12 or so, back in the late 80s. My first car was the original Losi JRx2. I don't recall what first sparked my interest, but my dad helped me purchase all my stuff... been racing basically, ever since, with breaks here and there.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Rookie

as a child, i've always wanted to play with rc toys...cars, planes, helis....but really had no one to do it with, or did I have money to buy any....as I grew older I got into different things..sports, motorcycles, cars, etc...
now that I have a 3 year old, I've got an exuse to get really into it...
just got my first rc car yesterday (hpi sprint 2), and ordered my first heli, Esky 6 CH Honey Bee King 2, which should be coming sometime soon...I did order as well the Picoo Z heli so my son can actually try to fly that little thing..
now I'm getting to be a kid again, and at the same time spend quality time with my son..I think RC hobby would be great for kids, along with other sports to get into rather than spend countless hours on video games..
Old 05-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

i go by this r/c airplane field all the time...soo much fun lookin at them so i got into electric planes 1st then electric helis but no luck on both of them so i bought me a jada toys toyota celica 1/10th scale over at tower for 50bucks...i had electronics from my plane so i decided to mod the celica using the goodies i had on my plane that how i got started....got my 1st nitro r/c back in highschool and collection was growing but now i lost interest cause too busy building my s13 drift car....good shitt

sold most of my r/c stuff all i have left is my trinity reflex with an engine that still needs break-in

my rides was featured on r/c car action mag 3 times....my blue m3 beamer and my greddy 350z drift car twice....

thi hobby ate my money!LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.