Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Building a home stereo >

Building a home stereo

Building a home stereo

Old 05-17-2009, 02:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Building a home stereo

ok guys im pretty sure this is the right forum but here goes.
i recently got given a surround sound system its really cheap but hey it was free problem is it doesnt have the av controller so it just sub box with rca inputs for front and rear left and right, centre and an input for a sub.
now all i want this for is my ipod so i bought a 3.5mm head fone jack to 3 rca (left right and video)
but how do i get this into the 6 inputs?
the front and rear speakers is easy just us a 1 to 2 adapter but im not sure bout the centre can i just use a 2 into one and take left and right into one this being the centre?
also can you make your own rca leads and do the require special wire (like resistive antenna wire)?
finally for the sub i was going to use a high lever to low lever converter from a car and just drive it off the speaker out puts? would this work?
cheers guys just a lil pet project
Old 05-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just run the right into the front rear right and left into the front rear left

now for the center and sub here is the trick you have to get 2 potentiometers and cut the wires hahahhahah all the shields go together and the left goes through a pot and the left goes through a pot get your volt ohm meter out and match the pots connect the left and right after the pots and then run them into the sub and center violla you get the left right seperation still but you still get the center definition

glhf diy

walmart or radio shack
Old 05-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

You'll have to use an amplifier or 6 so you don;t fry the ipod. BUT the surround sound system is 5.1, while the ipod is only stereo. You'll have to scrap a speaker, have 2 for each side, and connect the sub up as mono. Have a look at radio shack for amplifier kits, a 7w one should do you nicely. I made my own MP3 speaker with an old 30W cabinet speaker, a 7w amplifier kit and a 12v 6ah lead acid battery. It runs for about a week non stop, and is loud enough for parties outside.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

ok whoa before you start hacking stuff apart or buying bits, can you snap a picture of the back of the sub? That way we can figure out how to do this.

and no you won't fry your ipod at all. don't scare the guy like that joe.

Last edited by Sabin; 05-18-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
ok whoa before you start hacking stuff apart or buying bits, can you snap a picture of the back of the sub? That way we can figure out how to do this.

and no you won't fry your ipod at all. don't scare the guy like that joe.
Yeah....take a pic... particulary the input and output areas.

Goodtunes;

The second pic is of a RCA Y-adapter.... that headphone jack to rca adapter would not work.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

No seriously, if you haven't got an amp you'll fry the driver circuits. A tiny little ipod amp isn't enough to drive a 20W sub :P
Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
No seriously, if you haven't got an amp you'll fry the driver circuits. A tiny little ipod amp isn't enough to drive a 20W sub :P

I think you're missing something here.

the ipod outputs a signal to the speaker setup, so the power flows only one way. you name the setup, i've most likely have done it. everything from little room stereos to large dance halls.

the worst thing that can happen is very low volume from the speaker. you can run it direct.. but what's the point? he'll strain to listen to it.

that's why we need to see the back of the speakers/sub.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aus jd 2703 View Post
ok guys im pretty sure this is the right forum but here goes.
i recently got given a surround sound system its really cheap but hey it was free problem is it doesnt have the av controller so it just sub box with rca inputs for front and rear left and right, centre and an input for a sub.
now all i want this for is my ipod so i bought a 3.5mm head fone jack to 3 rca (left right and video)
but how do i get this into the 6 inputs?
the front and rear speakers is easy just us a 1 to 2 adapter but im not sure bout the centre can i just use a 2 into one and take left and right into one this being the centre?
also can you make your own rca leads and do the require special wire (like resistive antenna wire)?
finally for the sub i was going to use a high lever to low lever converter from a car and just drive it off the speaker out puts? would this work?
cheers guys just a lil pet project

Without an AV receiver you don't have enough hardware to decode the 5.1 which is where the center runs in. I'm trying to picture the inputs, but it sounds like you have an unamplified sub that uses the inputs from all the channels, filters the highs into outputs, and keeps the lows for the drivers in the box. If this is the case, you still must have an amp of some sort beyond your ipod to be able to play music through it.

Never ever ever try to run a center by combining multiple channels unless the amp is designed to combine multiple channels in a bridged mode... But usually that is only for subs unless you're running some high end gear. You could fry your ipod if you cross output wires like that.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

The only way he can fry his ipod is if there was power coming FROM the speakers, which seems highly unlikely since these speakers are unpowered.

the only thing that can happen is the driver circuits start to clip if he plays it at maximum volume.

so how are the pictures coming?