Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
New Hobby shop ideas. >

New Hobby shop ideas.

New Hobby shop ideas.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default New Hobby shop ideas.

I have been long debating opening a LHS and I am looking for ideas that would help make it a successful business.

I would like some of your opinions on what you would like to see in a LHS, and one thing that you dont like about your LHS.

Please be realistic.

For example, I would like a LHS to have hours that are open at times other than the times that I am actually at work.

Meaning open to 7 or 8 pm and / or on a Sunday - which is when Im not at work and would actually have the spare time to go and shop or use a track.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Be diverse. A hobby shop that only races one type of class and only sells cars and parts for that class is doomed unless the overhead is zero.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Internet prices and at there time of delivery. Personally I think most of the stuff is close so I usually buy from the track or shop. But if you offer the same as internet prices and can have as wide a range of choices then you will most likely have a good crowd of buyers.
The internet is a 3 day one stop shop and with a huge variety of spontaneous choices.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have 2 Hobbysucks USA pet peeves which i think you could improve on.

1. make it equal. say the room is 30x30. dont have half for puzzles and other small hobbies, then other small parts divided for others(RC, collector cards). have it sectioned equally.

2. make sure your employes are good people. have your friends come in as secret shoppers. 5 out of 7 people that work at my lhs are complete dicks.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Be diverse. A hobby shop that only races one type of class and only sells cars and parts for that class is doomed unless the overhead is zero.
Diversity is good, but stocking items for TOO many different vehicles can run you broke unless there is a constant turnover, or you have ALOT of cash to sit on a large inventory. More than a few businesses have gone bust because they had too much money tied up in shelf stock.

I think that a good idea is to have a reason to keep them comming back. I think that this is a universal rule, whether it be by having a track and having events for an RC shop or pottery classes for a ceramic shop. If all you are is a parts seller, folks can always do better online. In the same vein, make sure that you are a source of information. One of the biggest reasons to go to a LHS is to get expert advice. So do homework and be that expert.

One thing I find frustrating about some LHS owners is that alot of times they are reluctant to offer advice on stuff that you bought somewhere else. I know that their income comes through selling stuff, but if I get good advice reguardless of where I purchased an item, I'm alot more like to buy OTHER stuff from HIM.

Just my $.02
Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My LHS is great, Some of the big things that keep me buying there are:

1: Every employee is very personible. You can walk in and talk to any one as if youve been friends for years. No "I'm Better Than you" attitudes. They understand that their customers are key.

2: They promote the hobby in a fun and enjoyable way. We race for fun and we keep it fun for everyone.

3: No one turns any one away for anything. They will help you wrench, look up specs, answer any question you may have.

4: Knowledge. Everyone at my lhs knows their shit, they may all have there strong points in different hobbies but they all know what their talkin about.

5: There just great guys!!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Internet prices and at there time of delivery. Personally I think most of the stuff is close so I usually buy from the track or shop. But if you offer the same as internet prices and can have as wide a range of choices then you will most likely have a good crowd of buyers.
The internet is a 3 day one stop shop and with a huge variety of spontaneous choices.

The problem with internet pricing is that it basically has no overhead built in. That won't pay the rent for a shop with a storefront or the utilities to run it. Plus, a LHS doesn't have the exposure that an internet site does (unless you do both). Honestly, a LHS usually HAS to be at least a bit more expensive than an internet sales store just to break even.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
The problem with internet pricing is that it basically has no overhead built in. That won't pay the rent for a shop with a storefront or the utilities to run it. Plus, a LHS doesn't have the exposure that an internet site does (unless you do both). Honestly, a LHS usually HAS to be at least a bit more expensive than an internet sales store just to break even.
Yep I hear ya. I really think they are close on most items but the closer you are and can offer delivery in the same time frame then it will help. Customer base will be determined first on price. So if its close enough its most likely they will buy then if you can deliver in the same amount of time the deal is sealed.

If you can can conquer a way to get a large customer base then its worth the venture. Internet prices are the the key element. Most will wait for a front door delivery at large discount before driving to a shop to pay 15% more.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Lord

I will add this to. I frequent my local shop so I usually get a 10% discount.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

whatevers popular
Old 05-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Don't let the magazine covers dictate what you sell in your store.
You'll go outta business in no time tryin to constantly re merchandise the store. I've seen it happen. Instead, take a look around at what the truly popular products in your area are. Find products YOU believe in, and have good parts support for them. Customers are going to be more responsive to a store that finds a product and sticks with it as opposed to the store selling the flavor of the month.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Tech Elite

Last year a local R/C helicopter guy named Craig opened up a little hole-in-the-wall hobby shop in town, and it didn't take long for me to pal-up with him. When I first walked in there and looked around his inventory was all over the place, seemed like he had about 3 parts for every car, truck, boat, plane, and helicopter on the market, all in a room a little larger than a walk-in closet. It's a tiny place and there's no tracks or regular flying fields in the immediate area (although there used to be ), so I can understand why he took the "shotgun" approach to see what was a hit and what wasn't, but after he got to know me and how long I've been racing R/C I noticed that every time I'd order something from him, he'd ask me if that was a pretty common part to stock or if it was a wear item on the truck I was ordering it for. Or like when I bought an Onyx 230 charger from him, he put mine and 5 more on the order to stock the store with.

Long story short I guess, instead of trying to estimate what'll sell well in the beginning, stock a little of everything and see what your regulars keep asking for. And I also like to see hobby shops that stock a lot of the little stuff: soldering irons and supplies, specialty hardware (you could cover a whole wall with different kinds of Traxxas shoulder screws), oils, greases, motor spray, shims/spacers/washers, CA glue...all that stuff that you forgot you ran out of 3 weeks ago and NEED NOW to get your truck ready for tomorrow's race

As far as the price thing goes, internet vs. LHS, for me Craig's always been able to match what the internet sells for, at worst maybe a buck or two over, but where he beats the internet for me is if I place an order with him by late Monday/early Tuesday, assuming it's in stock at his distributor he will have it in my hands by that Thursday, and the price I pay for it is based just on the part cost. Even with a distribution center a hop, skip, and jump south of the border in Champain, IL, I'd be waiting a week for Tower to send me stuff Ground, and I think they still wanted another $5 for Ground shipping.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Have parts IN STOCK as much as you can... You dont want to be walking into a hobby store and them saying "it will be a couple of weeks before that comes in".

That would be my number 1 rule keep most popular parts in stock with a few others.

Be diverse.
Be Honest.
Have prices on things.

Etc etc.

My .02
Old 05-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Don't talk down to your customers!! Treat them like idiots and they'll start searching the internet. Granted there are gonna be customers that need help but the ones that know their stuff are the ones I'm talking about.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!

Be patient with new people, both to the hobby store and the hobby. Be concise and honest with your words, and always help somebody in need- but then again this advice isn't just for a hobby shop.

Take it slow and don't get in over your head. Try to live in harmony and cooperate with the other hobbyshops around the area, competition only fuels anger and nobody wins.

Always give good, sound advice. Remember that somebody looking to purchase a touring car has completely different intentions than a person who is looking to buy a monster truck... Always try to suit somebody else's needs, not your own.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.