Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
New Hobby shop ideas. >

New Hobby shop ideas.

New Hobby shop ideas.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Make sure the employees arent azzholes and look at you as a complete moron.
Allow people to sell used vehicals there.
Try not to mark up prices too much. People who shop have a general idea of what they want to spend on that particular vehical already.
Parts Parts Parts. Carry parts for your class types, the vehicals you sell, and allow for a quick option on what you may not have on hand.
Diversify....

oh and you MUST have a track. :P If you do, you will sell lots more.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

One thing I have yet to see mentioned, carry a variety of fuel (batteries too)
Byron's, O'Donnell, Traxxas, etc. I hate walking into a shop and they carry only 2 kinds of fuel, which is normally either over-priced garbage, or some specialty fuel no one will ever need.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have 3 LHS....Our club keeps them all alive with our Racing in their parking lots..............

If i had the "Money" to Startup a Facility...........I envision a place kinda like Chuckie Cheese............IE "Birthday Parties for little ones........Here is what i would do........First figure out what kinda "Track" you will have.........ie Carpet,dirt,Or lot racing....then..........Setup 10 Cheap cars,for that format....Gear them down so they are slow and not so easy too "Break"..Put on BIG BUMPERS......figure out a Package Deal for Racing Party's........run 2 qualifiers and a Main........Ofcourse you will have your serious "Racing" on set night's/Days.....On those days you would also have a Rental Class....with the regular Racers.....this way you introduce to beginners the Thrill of racing and they get the Bug for the Fast Stuff...........
I have seen this work with rentals.......As a matter of fact...the guy started getting people paying a week ahead of the next Race to guarantee a Ride..LOL!!

In my Vision i see all these little kids begging mommy for a Party at "YOUR RaceTrack"...

If i had Deep Pocket's my "Dream" would live even though we do have a HobbyTown USA,Mid-South hobbies,and also Nitro R.C. Chop Shop....

Not only would i get alot of "New" Racers out of it....they would be buying my Pizzas,cokes and hotDogs.....Oh,don't forget the IceCream/Cake.......LOL!......
My version of a PinBall Arcade!....................Just MY DREAM!! LOL!!

Only 1 of our shops is just for "Racer's"....He does well.............

to Succeed you must Stay Streamlined too a certain degree........dont try and sell everything.......you must find your nich in the market in your area........you will have to get a distributorship of somekind to be competitive price wise...........

If everyone around you is racing the same Surface....Stick with that and you should do fine..........Or start something "New"........
GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

www.hobbyplexraceway.com

but realistically, a hobby trailors probably the best I dea if you already have a full time job.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

In the town where I grew up, there was only one successful hobby shop. All of the others closed down whereas the owner of the this shop finally retired. Two things I noticed about his shop that I think made it successful:

1) Good location. A lot of people get RC stuff as an impulse purchase. How can they make that impulse purchase when you're shop isn't visible from the street or way out in the sticks?

2) Airplane guys. The money they spend on RC stuff makes the money we spend on cars seem like chump change in comparison. If you get in good with the plane guys, the store will have a better chance of staying in the black.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

coyote ugly wemon dancing on glass cabinets ftw i would b there every day
Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

In my country not every shop have a track,most tracks are run from no-profit associations made of hobbyst's.It takes few people,some paperjob and a particular bank account.
Once you find land to place your track,most of the job is done.Usually shop owners don't want to mess around organizing races and stuff so they rather sponsorship some tracks to allow theyr customers to have some place to go.
It' s hard to see a shop with his own track since 98% nationwide are ass.n's related.
Rc prices are very high and taxes to,so not every shop owner wants to add more expenses in a limited market.
I've always dreamed about opening a family oriented Bar & Grill with a coupple of outdoor tracks where to organize racing.Triy'n to promote from indoor slotcar racing to 1/12 e Mini's for wintertime,and from 1/5 on road racing to 1/8th off road in outdoor tracks.
I know for sure for my country "RClifestyle",this idea could be a big shot and it would work.
Dunno were you live if it could be a feasible idea.

Well the real part of the business is that i'm living 30km from the swiss border. . .
Old 05-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Initiate

- TV showing latest RC races... Highlights blabla blah
- Lowest prices on glowplugsXD
- a whole row dedicated to magizines... Right were u walk in u see them
- RC bodies that are organized in productions (ie. team losi ofna Team assosiated)
- RC planes that hold up signes
- used RC cars/planes on counter
- trade/buy/sell service
- Easy to use internet site
Old 05-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Do repairs! If you are knowledgeable in rc do repairs. We've gained a lot more business because of this . Have good prices, find out whats popular in your area. What people like. There's no use of stocking $600 buggies if the people in your area like monster trucks and 2wd trucks. Verity is good too. keep the most common parts in stock .I your able do demos, demoing a trucks and cars. We've sold quite a few trucks because we were demoing trucks.(the biggest one is the traxxas slash rite now.) Customer service is a must. At our shop, we have guys driving from out of state over 60 miles away, driving rite bye 2 or 3 hobby shops just to come to our shop.
good luck man!
Ty
Old 05-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Get a few people to come in often to help others. or get a resident guru. they have one at my lhs and thats what kept me in the hobby for so long
Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Suicide View Post
Get a few people to come in often to help others. or get a resident guru. they have one at my lhs and thats what kept me in the hobby for so long
+1 Im one of those guys!!!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Owning a hobbyshop and track these days is alot different then back in the 80's. Between the internet and "sponsored" racers, focusing just on r/c racing is a extremely tight budget business.

If your intrested in owning a hobbyshop then make it a complete hobbyshop. Planes, helicopters, cars, models, toys, etc. Focus on reliable, time tested product lines and just dabble in quick selling fads.

If your intrested in a racetrack, then just do that, without the hobbyshop.
If I had to do it over, I would buy a bigger piece of personal property, enough for a track, pits and parking. I wouldn't do both again.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

when i go to hobbytown im just so overwhelmed with all the shit they got they have everything which is a good thing but the only problem they have is that the employees that are working behind the rc counter they all and i mean all of them talk out there ass they have no idea what they are talking about and also more than half of them dont even race or know anything about rc at all there was some times i would set them up with a question that if you drove or raced rc that you need to know and they gave me some bs answer that wasnt even close so what i would say is have a big variaty of products you dont have to have a million dollars worth of invintory but try to have a big selection of stuff and last but not least hire guys that have at least a year expirence for rc stuff wether if heli,cars,buggys, truggy ect but just make sure that they know what there talking about and make sure there friendly and willing to do anything to help a customer
Old 06-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

One of the most successful hobby shops here has a couple tracks, indoor carpet, outdoor dirt, asphalt etc.
The people are great, do repairs, and if I were to open a shop I would let people "rent" out a ride to try before they buy. Say 1 e-revo, 1 savage flux, etc for a nominal fee.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Recruit knowledgeable staff. Maybe even work it out to have a racer, pilot, or whatever your focus is, sometimes they'll work it out in trade for merchandise. And they know what to sell people (less returned, opened parts). I listened to a moron sell an 1/8th scale gas truck to a lady for her 10 year old before Christmas....guarantee he was crying by 9AM. He made the sale but probably created an ongoing problem where no one was happy. Try not to be opposed to buying and selling used items. Chances are you'll still make $$ somewhere on the deal. Good luck and props for even asking before trying it. Customer service keeps me coming back, something you can't get on the net.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.