Star Trek

Old 05-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Star Trek

Well, saw the new trek movie in IMAX tonight. I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Anyone else seen it yet?
Old 05-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ive got mine for Sunday for Imax.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Was it more like Transformers or Independence Day?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I usually wait for movies to come out on Blue-Ray and watch them on the front projection system in my home theater (120"). But Star Trek and Angels and Demons will rate a trip to the cinema. When we DO do to the theater now we make a night of it and go to our new theater in town that serves dinner and drinks while we watch. Pricy, but it makes it more of an event.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Was it more like Transformers or Independence Day?
Nothing at all like transformers. A little like Independence Day.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Legend

watch-movies.net

Free !!!

enjoy the movie , best Star Trek ever !!!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
watch-movies.net

Free !!!

enjoy the movie , best Star Trek ever !!!

Hmmm let me see....

First - it's illegal.

Second - it SUCKS.

Why would ANYBODY want to watcha jerky copy made with a handheld video camera in the middle of a theater? I'll ether wait for the DVD or pop for the cost to see it in a theater.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

They should have named it "Star Trek the alternate Universe" because they used a different timeline altering from the oringinal....that is all I will say because it will give up the movie plot.

It really messes up the past Star Trek movies becuase of what happened that this movie is suppose to be events before the other movies.

It is still a good movie!

PS. Of course not many here are old enough to have watched the oringinal TV show on TV when it came out! I did!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

I always wait for the DVD rip to come out. Much better quality than a shaky, grainy pirate video.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Craps View Post
They should have named it "Star Trek the alternate Universe" because they used a different timeline altering from the oringinal....that is all I will say because it will give up the movie plot.

It really messes up the past Star Trek movies becuase of what happened that this movie is suppose to be events before the other movies.

PS. Of course not many here are old enough to have watched the oringinal TV show on TV when it came out! I did!
I'm old enough, that's the primary reason I'm not as "Stoked" to see this one. I could tell by the trailer this wasn't Star Trek in concept, only in title. Oh well, next we'll have a realty show version of it... some nudity, blood & gutz, some Zombies, oh... and the Rock will be in the next one...
Old 05-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Legend

Watch again this morning for free !

Great movie ....
Old 05-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Watch again this morning for free !

Great movie ....

Sure you can WATCH it on a web site like that. But an anticipated action movie souldn't be WATCHED the first time. It should be EXPERIENCED. It should be as big as life and in your face. I converted a room in my house to a home theater a few years ago. The system has a front projection system with a projector on the ceiling in the back, a 120" screen, and a sound system that can LITERALLY rattle stuff off the wall 2 rooms away. As big as that is, I STILL go to the actual theater to watch a movie like Star Trek or Angels and Demons the first time. There will only be ONE first time to watch a movie like that, and I like to make the experience as memorable as possible.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

lol, wow dude. I guess us average joes are missing out, no?

Any movie that i would "experience" is on my 15" widescreen pavillion with cheapo harmon/kardon speakers.

I think the last movie i saw in theaters was iron man. Holy sh!t its been a while.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Legend

I really do appreciate going the theater to watch a movie just for its big screen & pop corn . In a way its the best way to enjoy great movies like the new Star Trek.
A audience add`s that extra power to a film ...

But PLEASE !!!

I still enjoyed it twice as much as
someone who went and paid to see this film ...

Captain Pike alive in the end ?

The way he ends up alive in the wheel chair ?

That was perfect...

Nice touch ...

This Star Trek makes all the earlier versions pale .....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 05-10-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craps View Post

Good post and I totally agree. Going to nerd out here so bare with me...

I guess cannon means NOTHING to JJ Abrams. Wtf, like let's just destroy a huge part of the history of Trek like its no big deal? Seriously, very bad form in many aspects.

I will say I loved Zachary Quinto as Spock and the new McCoy. Thought those two nailed the performances of the origional actors perfectly. Also a neat explaniation as to how Christopher Pike was replaced as Captain. All in all better than ST1, 5, and Insurrection but this is a total reboot of the franchise that has next to nothing to do with anything that came before it.

Spoilers below for those who haven't seen the movie yet. Consider yourself warned...

JJ Abrams has totally destroyed the continuity that existed. Literally ST6 can no-longer happen, or at least is very unlikely to happen as the odds of Lieutenant Valeris even existing is very unlikely. What about the odds of Tuvok existing? What does that do to the Voyager time line, the destruction of the Borg unimatrix and more.

I guess I saw a reboot as being something with new directors, writers and producers. I guess I didn't expect it to be a complete and total casting aside of what we already knew about this universe. Additionally the destruction of Vulcan makes it highly unlikely that the Ministry of Science would even exist in a form that could manufacturer the ship or "red matter" that Spock developed to eliminate the Super Nova, creating a paradox. All in all this plot has a number of holes in it...

So, The good:

Zachary Quinto, Bruce Greenwood, Karl Urban were all excellent. Karl Urban absolutely nailed Deforest Kelly and it was an honorable performance and homage to one of the series most beloved personalities.
The special effects were amazing
The Beastie Boys music! Yeah!!
The computer having issues with Checkov's accent was priceless

The passable:
The Enterprise didn't look quite right. I thought the Nacelle standoffs were more vertical in this version that from TOS.
The time-traveling Romulans
The bridge of the Enterprise and how bright it was, how more advanced it was versus TOS or even ST 4-6
Chris Pine as a Prick of a young Kirk
The credits say that Majel Barret was the voice of the computer. It did not even sound close...

The bad:
The Nokia ringer? Really?!?!?
The soundtrack just didn't feel right. I guess I was looking for more of what we were used to and it wasn't there.
Simon Pegg was ok as Scotty, but what was that little thing with him? Added nothing to the story.
The inside of the Enterprise was HUGE! It looked like it was larger and more expansive than even the Enterprise D or E. The scale was way off.
I was always under the understanding that Spock was considerably older than Kirk but this inferred they were virtually the same age.

The Inexcusable:
Tossing aside 40-years of cannon like it never existed
The creation of a number of temporal paradoxes that were never explained or solved
Eric Bana's performance was crap. In fact until about the 3rd or 4th scene he's in the angels don't even show that he has Romulan ears/physical tendencies.

The WTF
The obliteration of Vulcan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.