Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
NEED HELP! TENNESSEE LAW??!! >

NEED HELP! TENNESSEE LAW??!!

NEED HELP! TENNESSEE LAW??!!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default NEED HELP! TENNESSEE LAW??!!

hi! my girlfriend recently moved to Tennessee against her family's will and she hates it. shes 16 now. at what age can she legally move out without it being considered a runaway? i have a lot of people saying 17. i know a lot of states let it be 17.

i have no idea where to look for this stuff. please help.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!

Originally Posted by MoparRules View Post
hi! my girlfriend recently moved to Tennessee against her family's will and she hates it. shes 16 now. at what age can she legally move out without it being considered a runaway? i have a lot of people saying 17. i know a lot of states let it be 17.

I think that she can be emancipated at 16, but that doesn't mean that the court will allow it. There has to be certain reason to be emancipated, not just "she hates it".

I'm no legal expert though.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

well basically her mom is making her go to therapy because she thinks she has mental problems.

plus her moms verbally abusive and she always getting thrown outa the house.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I live here and it is 18.

EA
Old 04-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!

Just a note, emancipation probably isn't the best idea either. She'd have to have a reliable means of income in order to live as an adult. that would most likely mean dropping out of school. If the current housing situation for her is the way it should'nt be with her perants, then that should be taken to the local authorities to be investigated.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

her parents can still hand over custody to her aunt or grandmother that lives up here right?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

as long as she doesnt get knocked up
Old 04-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goodtunes1978 View Post
Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

her parents can still hand over custody to her aunt or grandmother that lives up here right?
Here's a tip. Don't get involved, crazy girls are crazy.
Best thing to do is run Forest run before she drags you in deeper.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NuthinFancy91 View Post
Your a wise man my friend!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NuthinFancy91 View Post
I hate to say it but it's true

Originally Posted by goodtunes1978 View Post
If you stay, wrap it up
Old 04-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Tech Elite

OK! she IS NOT crazy. her mother thinks shes crazy because she spends alot of time alone in her room. well no shit. she was just moved away from all of her friends. shes not going to immediately make friends.

and no shes not getting knocked up. im glad your guys are seeing this as a joke. because to me, theres nothing funny about it.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Addict

Have you seen/heard the mother verbally abuse her? I'll tell you another truth, people say there are always 2 sides to the story. Well, that is wrong, there are 3 sides to the story...his side, her side & the truth. (replace his & her as you please) People will always tell things as they see it. An objective third party will tell you how it really happened but good luck finding that.

Oh, and lets all be clear, your girlfriend isn't the first girl to be 16 and have problems. There is help out there, find some.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Mopar,

I know that you probably don't want to hear this, but her folks are within their rights. If they feel that she is having emotional problems, and they have the ability to seek help, some states even REQUIRE them to do so. As far as moving goes, life unfortunately can be hard on kid's relationships. Families move and the kids have to leave friends behind. It's happened for thousands of years I'd guess. I grew up as a military brat, so it happened to me several times. I know that I would have done the same thing with my kids if I had moved. Parenting is a prime responsibility, and it should not be handed off to a relitive to finish up. And it certainly is NOT fair to a grandparent or aunt to hand over all the responsibilities of caring for and CONTROLLING a 16 year old. Let's face it, being 16 is a nightmare of emotional baggage and raging hormones. The good news is that teenage years are usually survivable, and can even overcome being uprooted to another state.

I know that it's hard to look at it that way from where you are right now. At 16 you FEEL like you are grown up and mature enough to handle things all on your own. Unfortunately, statistics don't support that conclusion. A 16 year old who quits school and moves out of the family home is over 5 times as likely to to end up earning a sub median wage at age 30 as someone who stays at home and finishes school. They are 7 times as likely to have problems with the police, and girls are almost 10 times as likely to end up as a single mother living on state assistace.

Think about it. What jobs are open to a 16 year old high school dropout? Fast food? Minimum wage WILL NOT provide a decent living income.

I'm certainly NOT looking at this as a joke or funny. These things are IMPORTANT to you and they hurt. It's hard to see the big picture from where you or she is now, but in the long run history shows that it's MUCH better that she stays at home and finishes school. Both for her to get her diploma and maybe go to college, and to gain a bit more muturity (even though you probably can't see that to be true from your perspective).
Old 04-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well I am sorry to say this but I am LAUGHING MY ASS OFF!!!!!!

Not for his situation at hand, but what this thread would have become without level-headed guys stepping in with solid suggestions and answers.

Mopar, seriously dude, you are on the outside looking in on that my friend.

The emotions of any 16 year old is always locked in high gear; especially for a girl.....and moving away from your friends doesn't help much either. In this day and age, a 16 yr old cannot survive on their own without some kind of serious financial support and guidance and that is most likely not going to happen. Besides learning to adapt to new enviorments and meeting new friends helps develop social skills....

Why?

Say for instance she got her wish (and you get yours) and she moves in with you and your family. The first major confrontation she will have with your parents will end up with this statement:

"You are not my parents!!! You can't tell me what to do!!!!"

Then you will become involved....against your family. Those don't end up well either.

Next thing we'll see is another episode of the Steve Wilkos Show or the Jerry Springer Show with you in it!!!

Be objective....listen to both sides and usually you will find the truth buried in there somewhere. Find a common ground and persuade them to stand on that. Moving away (which is really running away) isn't going to solve the problem, it compounds the problem.

Now, on the other hand, if her family moved and you just to still be with her then either you are simply selfish, or scared you are going to lose her to another guy.

Little insecure with your manhood huh?

If memory serves me correctly, 16 year olds changes boyfriends/girlfriends faster than they change underclothes......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.