Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Post your bad experiences using VENOM products lol >

Post your bad experiences using VENOM products lol

Post your bad experiences using VENOM products lol

Old 01-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default Post your bad experiences using VENOM products lol

I was thinking today and just wondering how many horror stories there were pertaining to Venom products as I'm sure pretty much everyone has used them at one point.If you have a story lets hear it.I'll start..........

2400 AA batteries caught fire while in a wall charger,ruined two batteries,the charger,and my wall

2 of their fireball motors LITTERALLY turned into fireballs while running in my vehicles,both caught fire!!

2 3300-3600 battery packs,1 burst into flames and exploded,the other completely melted itself out of the pack.

Keep in mind these items were all used correctly and properly maintained,still they all failed
Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Damn, you should carry a fire extinguisher! The only Venom product I have ever bought was a stick pack a long time ago. It still works.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Yea, I think it may be something YOU are doing. I've yet to have anything from them go up in flames.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I have two Venom stick packs and a Venom RX pack in my Baja. Now stop scaring me
Old 01-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Theslowguy View Post
Yea, I think it may be something YOU are doing. I've yet to have anything from them go up in flames.

I don't think its possible for me to mess up such a noob process being that I have been in RC 23 years.I'll tell you exactly what happened on each account.

2400 AA batteries were set on a digital wall charger programmed specifically for these type of cells with an automatic cutoff.

2 of their fireball motors I had were both run on the same car with correct gearing and no limit esc,motors burned up nothing else.Upon further investigation the one brush was worn more than the other leaving almost no brush material left,this happened on both motors also the bushings wore into an oval shape after 2-3 runs.I always completely dissasemble my motors,clean,lube them frequently.Even though I did regular maintenance they still burned up.

2 3300-3600 battery packs -As far as these things go I guess the Stock C027 motor I was running them on was too much power for the poor little cells

Funny thing is I when I go to my LHS they have a box behind the counter that always has venom products in it,(mainly battery packs) that customers have returned.hahahha
Old 01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

23 years and you are still buying venom stick packs and fireballs?

Originally Posted by speedemall View Post
I don't think its possible for me to mess up such a noob process being that I have been in RC 23 years.I'll tell you exactly what happened on each account.

2400 AA batteries were set on a digital wall charger programmed specifically for these type of cells with an automatic cutoff.

2 of their fireball motors I had were both run on the same car with correct gearing and no limit esc,motors burned up nothing else.Upon further investigation the one brush was worn more than the other leaving almost no brush material left,this happened on both motors also the bushings wore into an oval shape after 2-3 runs.I always completely dissasemble my motors,clean,lube them frequently.Even though I did regular maintenance they still burned up.

2 3300-3600 battery packs -As far as these things go I guess the Stock C027 motor I was running them on was too much power for the poor little cells

Funny thing is I when I go to my LHS they have a box behind the counter that always has venom products in it,(mainly battery packs) that customers have returned.hahahha
Old 01-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

23 years and you are still buying venom stick packs and fireballs?
Well I was running the fireballs back when brushless first came out so I didn't get the chance to convert right away,I now run brushless in everything I own.I stopped buying venom sticks a few years back,I now run a different brand but only in my scale trail trucks since they are cheap and easy to waterproof,I run lipo packs in my other vehicles
Old 01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have never bought a venom product (allright, i have, 8 alkaline double A's for a budy's radio), but it always makes me laugh HARD when somebody dumps 70 bucks into a 4600 mah venom stick pack instead of a nice, matched promatch ener-g 4600 pack that is sitting next to it for like 40 bucks.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Suspended

while I can't imagine enough scenarios to account for three seperate fire issues by everyone I know in 20 years of racing, that it's all but physically impossible for a round peg to wear an oval hole in a round hole unless someone forced it to do something terribly wrong and I also find it odd that while you say you did "regular maintenance" on the motors that any brush could be left to wear to the point there was no brush left.

considering all, I hope you have a really good personal injury policy
Old 01-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I have numerous 6 cell 5000 mah (I think there 5000) packs and have never had any problems with them. Venom has great customer service too.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fullsyzz View Post
Damn, you should carry a fire extinguisher!
That about sums it up for you bub.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
it's all but physically impossible for a round peg to wear an oval hole in a round hole unless someone forced it to do something terribly wrong :
Apparently it is a common problem with cheap motors using soft brass bushings.My Titan motor in my slash did the same exact thing as have some of my tamiya 540's in the past.The brush wearing to almost nothing was the result after running one full battery pack on the motors very first outing lol
Old 01-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Suspended

Apparently it is a common problem with cheap motors using soft brass bushings.My Titan motor in my slash did the same exact thing as have some of my tamiya 540's in the past.
"Apparently"??

only time i have heard of that was when someone had a gearmesh set too tight.

The brush wearing to almost nothing was the result after running one full battery pack on the motors very first outing lol
i would guess that is physically impossible

considering all, I hope you have a really good personal injury policy
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

Apparently it is a common problem with cheap motors using soft brass bushings.My Titan motor in my slash did the same exact thing as have some of my tamiya 540's in the past.The brush wearing to almost nothing was the result after running one full battery pack on the motors very first outing lol

You had a slash motor go up on you?!?!?!? Yea dude, it's you. I'm sorry, but if they can do a 5 hour enduro race with those without one single motor issue then it's you. Those things are bullet proof.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

You had a slash motor go up on you?!?!?!? Yea dude, it's you. I'm sorry, but if they can do a 5 hour enduro race with those without one single motor issue then it's you. Those things are bullet proof.
OH no,no!!! Don't get me wrong the titan was a very good motor but I ran it almost every day for 4 months straight so it got a good workout before it went.While doing maintenance on the motor I found it to have some play from left to right opposite the pinion side,eventually the bushing oval'd and the armature went out of balance burning the motor up.I have since gone brushless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.