Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
What's your Story.. >

What's your Story..

What's your Story..

Old 01-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 116 (100%+)
Default What's your Story..

As I sit here at work, I have some time to reflect..So I submit this.. a question with a story..

In your vast array of R/C goodies.. what's your most cherished, memorable, or unique piece(s) of accessory? (Not your New Ride or Radio..)
I.E .. your Hakko, becuase you just don't see how you soldered without one before.. Or your F8 bag.. cause you can now haul your gear in style..

I used to have one.. It was actually a Towel. I got it from a driver back in the early 90's at a race in Florida.. wasn't anything special, but kinda made me feel like the kid in the Coke commercial.. I was new to the hobby, had my trusty allen wrenches, craptastic NiCds and was constantly borrowing everything from solder to a "real charger" .. Wow.. how far the hobby has come... I believe it had a Tekin logo, but can't remember honestly.. A Towel.. nothing to him.. everything to me...

I bring this up because I was recently searching for an AE towel. No luck.. I even called AE's Bill M. who laughed a bit ofcourse, but was unable to locate one either..

It's the little things that count.. Every Season when I go race, indoors or out.. I always try to find that one kid.. who is sooo into the fun, the excitement, the Hobby in whole.. and give them something they can use.. just for that one moment when the eyes light up.
That.. and It makes me feel better for being such a grump during the other 16 hours of the day...

Whats your Item.. kill some time.. tell a story..
Old 01-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

my mom and dad bought me a life-like 1/64 slot car track, worst mistake they ever made...
Old 01-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lemme see here, probably when i was 11, i would show up at the track every weekend eager to run my car. I was sooo excited to get up on that driver's stand every heat. One of the many memorable moments would be pitting with the entire E-team family. They had brought laughter, good times, and they where the very first ones that i pit with the very first time. The simple things such as providing me a spot under the easy-up as well as proving an extra spot on their power strip ment so much that i couldn't garentee that i would be racing still to this day if they where not there when i first started racing.

Another memorable time would be when a fellow racer noticed some issues that i had on the track. At the time i was extraordinarily young and didn't konw half of what i knew now. Turns out that my receiver wire was frayed. Much to my dissapointment, i expected that i had to get an entirely new receiver. Then, a guy came up to me and said that "i can fix that" and had a package with some receiver antennea wire in his hand. He soldered it right up for me and charged me nothing for the antennea.

The last absolute amazing time would be when a seasoned racer (the owner of darksidemotorsports, actually- http://darksidems.com/index.php ) handed me 5, yes 5 matched and soldered GP and sanyo 3300's. They where useless to him, but they where like my holy grail for the rest of the season.

It is indeed the little things that count in racing, next time you see a newb, help them out! who knows, maybe they'll be offering you advice in a few years.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

two items really I guess, the first one I no longer have.

1) When I got my first r/c car, a tamiya boomerang, complete with 1200nicad and slow charger. If I hadnt asked for it for my 15th Birthday, I probably wouldnt be racing now.

2) My transmitter. A futaba T3VC... I had a friend who got it for me, back in about 2000/2001. He was more of a mentor than a friend, took me to a few of the big races off his own back, let me use all his equipment as money and good equipment wasnt easy for me at the time, and got me the Transmitter from Malaysia or somewhere really cheap.

Its never let me down in the 8 or so years ive had it, and it's something i'll have to remember him by, as he lives far away now and doesnt race.

I chatted with him a few months ago, after not hearing from him for years and told him I still have the transmitter and thanks for the help you gave me, 2 sponsorships and almost 15 years later and i'm still racing
Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

My most cherished piece of RC gear is a print-out. A print-out of qualifying results from a race many many years ago showing me as TQ and Ralph Burch second. Only time that has ever happened.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have small phillips screw driver with a pen clip on it to put in your pocket I got from a track that closed down like 20 years ago . Still has their logo on it I almost never use it but it is always in my pit box .
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

most cherished i think would be my wall clock cut out in the shape of Arizona,from the state races back in like '85 or '86.i won novice.it was my like my second off road race.i had only ran dirt oval before.it still hangs in my parents house.

one really cool item that i got recently was a hot wheels car from my wife and daughter.i'm 35 and it was kind of a joke for my birthday.it came in a 4-pack.3 of the cars you could see,but one was a mystery car,that was totally blacked out that you couldnt see at all.naturally,that was the one i was most interested in.when i opened it,i saw a el camino looking truck they called "jester".when i looked closer,in the bed of the truck was a little diecast onroad car,toolbox,and transmitter molded into the bed!there was no way my wife could have known that it was the "mystery car"!or even that a hotwheels with an rc car in the back even existed!It was just a really funny and fitting coincidence.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mine is an RC10 T.

I got it in '94 or '95. My oldest brother was way into r/c and always had something really cool and i was always stuck with the radioshack stuff. Then my dad gave me his RC10T, i helped him build it (ok, i just watched and asked questions) and it was always my favorite. It was slow as hell and the battery's sucked, But i drove that thing weekly until about about 2000. I'm sure he regret's that decision heavily, because i cost my parents so much money on r/c's before i was old enough for a job

Since then i've owned way to many to count but have only kept my AE's.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

No long story here, I just cherish the memories I have from 20+ yrs. of racing,meeting new people,running new places(and old),and just all the time spent having some of the best clean fun ever.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Mine would have to be my first RC car, a Marui Big Bear. I remember sitting with my fater building it when I was 12. 21 years have passed and I still have it and will cherish those memories as long as I live.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Mine would be from my first year of Racing..........We had an indoor offroad track in Memphis.......
Ofcourse i didn't Know anything,Accept i wanted too Win a Race.......
I knew nothing about Setup on my gold tub RC10 and was racing in the Novice class.......
After a few months of Racing and getting my Brain's Beat Out......Sitting at my Pit,Looking at my Leaking Shock's....
We had 2 local Factory Driver's....One with A.E. and one with Losi......

The A.E. Pilot David Hill came over and looked at my Car and said Dude let me work on this for a Minute....turned into a Shock Rebuild class....and he also rebuilt my diff (his parts)and gave me Tires.I was running 1800 cells and he gave me 2 Orion 2400 Matched Pk's and a Motor......

He also gave me the Cool Ass ShockPump Air Remover,That i Still use Today!

I went out and Won my next Qualifier!
Also Scored a 2nd in the Main.............Been Hooked Since!!

I have had Many offers for the pump over the years,Rebuilt a Bunch of shocks for Rookies.......It always reminds me of those days!.....
Old 01-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I went over to Spokane with my parents for a raquetball tourney my dad had entered. I was sitting around bored in the hotel room cruising through the yellow pages looking for something to do. I noticed an ad for an indoor offroad RC track. After bugging the crap outta' my mom she finally agreed to drive me out there and check it out.

The first time I saw modifieds hit the rythm section flawlessly, I was hooked.

I wish I still had my Kyosho Ultima ST with the "team" shocks, that thing could take some hits.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

My vintage cars and childhood memories

My parents got me my first RC kit that I built all by myself, it was a Tamiya Grasshopper with a 380 motor, 7.2v MRC Tamiya hump pack and a Futaba Attack controller.

If it wasn't for them I would never have gotten into this hobby. The most memorable thing as a child was waking up early each Saturday morning bashing around with all the neighborhood kids in the street or at the local school yard. All the neigborhood kids and one dad happened to have Tamiya's. At last count there were 4 Hornets, 1 Frog, 1 Grasshopper, 1 Falcon, 1 Hotshot (a father of one kid), 1 Boomerang. When we would break we would ride our BMX bikes to the local hobby store to buy parts and stare at kits, drool over hopup parts, and read magazines. The good ol' days.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by a_main_attendee View Post
Lemme see here, probably when i was 11, i would show up at the track every weekend eager to run my car. I was sooo excited to get up on that driver's stand every heat. One of the many memorable moments would be pitting with the entire E-team family. They had brought laughter, good times, and they where the very first ones that i pit with the very first time. The simple things such as providing me a spot under the easy-up as well as proving an extra spot on their power strip ment so much that i couldn't garentee that i would be racing still to this day if they where not there when i first started racing.

Another memorable time would be when a fellow racer noticed some issues that i had on the track. At the time i was extraordinarily young and didn't konw half of what i knew now. Turns out that my receiver wire was frayed. Much to my dissapointment, i expected that i had to get an entirely new receiver. Then, a guy came up to me and said that "i can fix that" and had a package with some receiver antennea wire in his hand. He soldered it right up for me and charged me nothing for the antennea.

The last absolute amazing time would be when a seasoned racer (the owner of darksidemotorsports, actually- http://darksidems.com/index.php ) handed me 5, yes 5 matched and soldered GP and sanyo 3300's. They where useless to him, but they where like my holy grail for the rest of the season.

It is indeed the little things that count in racing, next time you see a newb, help them out! who knows, maybe they'll be offering you advice in a few years.
what he said