Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
RC Hobby - Pouring money down the drain? >

RC Hobby - Pouring money down the drain?

RC Hobby - Pouring money down the drain?

Old 12-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RC Hobby - Pouring money down the drain?

Hi there. Now that you've been in rc for a while, do you regret pouring all that money down the drain? What do you have to show for it other than lots of old batteries, charger's, radios, and unattended models clogging your living space. All this rc stuff - did it live up to your expectations when you bought them or do you find that the excitement plummets after you bought that new rc and you don't like it nearly as much you expected.

Is the hobby hurting you?

This is imporant. You've gotta speak up and make your opinionated opinions heard.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2008, 11:51 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes.

The only thing is that ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you do in life can be considered pouring money down the drain. The truck I drive, the gas I put in it, the TV i have, the DVD's I buy are all pouring money down the drain. I don't NEED any of this. I'm stopping at the local watering hole after work tonight, and that might be a little more litteral on pouring money down the drain.

The difference is that it's something we all enjoy doing. It's the friendships we make while involved in the hobby ( both online and face to face ), the memories of the races, the crazy stuff we've broken, or the insane guy on RCTech that says that you're always wrong. The only time that it would be a true waste of time, would be if none of that mattered to you, and you did not enjoy the hobby in any way shape or form. I think we'd all be hardpressed to find anyone that can actually say that.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Legend

Default Regrets

If I had put every dime I spent into a 4O1k instead racing R/c I`v be a millionaire by now .....
Old 12-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HoaRC View Post
Hi there. Now that you've been in rc for a while, do you regret pouring all that money down the drain? What do you have to show for it other than lots of old batteries, charger's, radios, and unattended models clogging your living space. All this rc stuff - did it live up to your expectations when you bought them or do you find that the excitement plummets after you bought that new rc and you don't like it nearly as much you expected.

Is the hobby hurting you?

This is imporant. You've gotta speak up and make your opinionated opinions heard.

Jeff

This is why i race, not bash.

I am also extremely selective on the items i buy, if i don't beleive that i will be able to use something for a while, guess what? i don't buy it.

I don't see how people could buy a vehicle to drive it by themselves in their backyard, of course its gonna get boring after a while, and your big buck setup is gonna become useless.

When you race, you look forward to working on your RCs, spending time with fellow racers, and duking it out on the track.

I've used one chassis for the last 1.5 years and i will still run it untill it is completly unusable, i've had the same radio for four years, and i can make it through a race season or two with three 4200 nimhs (before i ran lipo).

I rarely regret purchasing something that brings me hours of fun, and i may have some stuff that i don't use anymore but i'm fine with that as long as i got my use outta them.

my 0.02.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:35 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I have bought way to many this year and sold most of them, I found one I like show hopefully the car buying is done, but I could use a new radio. I have a pretty good creadit car bill but don't even have these r/c anymore.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

1/12th scale was throwing money away... $30 in tires just to race.

1/10th rubber TC on carpet and 1/18th is well worth the money. Everything you buy for your car is going to last, with the exception of castor blocks on my Losi Type-R... those break. Rubbers last half a season or more(depending on track time), and only cost $30. 1/18th is a little fragile at times, but pretty much any given stock part on the suspension is $2.50.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, and for me it is not throwing money away, because it lets me do something with my life and meet people. Sure I could be saving for college more (I put a good amount of my money in the bank), but what good would I be when it comes time to go to college, and I have no technical experience?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

it does give me a reason to get out of the house and beat people but a lot of times it hard to find time with a family and permisson from the wife.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I spend a pretty big sum every year on Rc stuff. But thats what hobbies are about. The enjoyment I get from Rc is well worth it. The only thing I really regret in Rc is dumping $1600 into a Tmaxx just to make it as tough as a Savage when I could have spend the $420 and just bought a savage from the get go. Other than that, I dont regret anything. Money is just paper until its spent!
Old 12-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
Money is just paper until its spent!
So true!
Old 12-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
If I had put every dime I spent into a 4O1k instead racing R/c I`v be a millionaire by now .....
Probably a lot less than a millionare with the what has happened to the stock market
Old 12-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
I have bought way to many this year and sold most of them, I found one I like show hopefully the car buying is done, but I could use a new radio. I have a pretty good creadit car bill but don't even have these r/c anymore.
That's how I'm thinking, too. I've bought way too many and, this morning, sold two xxx-t's - the mf1 and the mf2 - and i feel so much better. The car buying is done for good. I am tired of "buying" and "selling" rc's - it's unhealthy; this buying/selling cycles is like bulimia: psychological disease with overeating followed by enduced vomitting.. One rc - the Stampede - can stay, but everything has got to go.

You don't have to spend money to have fun. You can download free plans and make free flight balsa and tissue planes for like $5... you can make rc boats from anything and on the cheap as well.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

For me rc is fun for a couple of reasons. Competition. I don't have to win (I do enjoy it though) but I enjoy competeing against myself and others. Friends. We meet different people, make friends and go places we wouldn't otherwise go. Family. Its a family type activity that you can do for years. Money can be wasted in this hobby just as it can and is in any hobby.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I think I'm done racing. I'm probably going to sell alot of my race stuff and buy a crawler and just bash it and have as much if not more fun than I would have racing. Every hobby takes alot of money and if you don't want to spend money you usually won't have any fun.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

The hobby wont burn a hole in your wallet if you spend carefully.

For me, I love 1/12th scale. Its cheap, and durable. Since i'm running a 12L4, parts are somewhat cheap. I buy most of my equipment used, so I save there. I also run brushed motors, and its relatively cheap. I got a Lathe for $20, and a ton of brushes for 15. I will never need to buy another motor at this rate!

The highest costs for me are entrance fee's for the races!

So no, i do not regret spending in the hobby. I spend carefully, so i dont waste much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.