R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Best light weight portable pit table?

I'm in the marlet for a portable pit table and finding that they are either really cheap and flimsy or expensive and REALLY heavy. I need something that will fold up to a max of 36" x 30" to fit in my trunk and will use weekly at an indoor track. A traditional old card table won't fit in my trunk as they are 36" square or larger.

Option #1 is a Coleman Dynasty 30x60 that has an aluminum frame but a Masonite top. I had one of these 20 years ago and the top ended up sagging quite a bit over time. It is very light at 12-13 pounds so it's easy to haul around. $40 at WalMart. The also have a 24x48 for just a couple of bucks less and made with the same masonite material top.

Option #2 is a molded plastic 72x30 from Lowes for around $50 that will be very durable but it weighs about 30 pounds.

Option 3# which is out of my budget is a Samsonite suit case table that I have only seen on the web. Looks nice and at 19 pounds not too heavy. Cheapest I've been able to find one on-line is around $80 + shipping.

I've been trying to find one of the molded plastic ones that are 24x48 and fold in half, but have not had any luck. What do you use and and where did you find it? Budget is an issue so I would like to keep it at $50 or less if possible.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

I've got this little white thing from Sam's Club by a company called Lifetime, 2'x4' that folds in half and has legs that adjust to 3 height positions (4 if you count the very bottom setting that the legs are in when you fold it up). Seems to me it was like $25, and makes 1 perfect pit space for nitro races. Just the right amount of room to work on/start & bench tune a car, my toolbox tucks under one side while my chair is on the other, and I keep my fuel bottles, transmitter, food, water, etc. on the tailgate of my truck under the shade from the tonneau cover.

We've used a bunch of Lifetime tables, 2 more are permanently in my basement shop, and after seeing how nice they were we have 10 or 12 of them at our local church. Worth looking into. Your "Option #2" kinda looks like one, looking closely at the picture. The legs on #1 look like they'd fold over and #3 is just plain hella expensive
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

The one you have sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm not a Sam's member but I guess I'll have to stop by one to see if its worth joining. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

You can go in if you're with someone that is a member and just have them buy it that way you wont be out the $$ on a membership too.
Jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

#2..Costco has them for $30..The other ones just dont hold up..I've been using mine for 3 years now and other than the nitro stains it's like new..a bit heavy but I am putting it in the back of my truck so that's not really an issue..
Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Tech Adept

walmart has option two for 35 to 40 dollars have had mine for going on three years it folds and is strong enough to support at least 150 lbs and it fits in the back of a 00 mazda protege
Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Here's a look at my table setup in my shop, plus my nitro table with my Gas Truck sitting on it for scale. The way I've got it now, the legs can go about 1' higher or 1' lower. The whole thing folds in half and locks together that way, and when opened the legs lock out and the table halves lock together with a sliding bolt. Not sure offhand how much it weighs but it's far from heavy, and I drive a little standard bed Chevy S10 and I usually end up having to brace something next to it so it doesn't slide around, so it takes up hardly any space.

OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I ended up running by Sams on the way to work this morning and looked at the 24x48 and although it was very well built I thought it was a little small for my use. Then went to Walmart and found a 30x60 version hiding back in the camping/sporting goods area that is nice for $41. Not adjustable for height but I really don't need that feature anyway. The weight is good and the price is right. The 30x72 at Lowes was just way to big and heavy for weekly use. Thanks for all the feed back!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
I've got this little white thing from Sam's Club by a company called Lifetime, 2'x4' that folds in half and has legs that adjust to 3 height positions (4 if you count the very bottom setting that the legs are in when you fold it up). Seems to me it was like $25, and makes 1 perfect pit space for nitro races. Just the right amount of room to work on/start & bench tune a car, my toolbox tucks under one side while my chair is on the other, and I keep my fuel bottles, transmitter, food, water, etc. on the tailgate of my truck under the shade from the tonneau cover.

We've used a bunch of Lifetime tables, 2 more are permanently in my basement shop, and after seeing how nice they were we have 10 or 12 of them at our local church. Worth looking into. Your "Option #2" kinda looks like one, looking closely at the picture. The legs on #1 look like they'd fold over and #3 is just plain hella expensive
I have that same one and it has been great for 2 years and it isn't that heavy and just barely fits folded up into the trunk of a Monte Carlo SS.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goodtunes1978 Send a message via MSN to goodtunes1978 Send a message via Yahoo to goodtunes1978

goodtunes1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Just curious why you picked this thread to post those pictures? I trust that is NOT your wife who is having the trouble.

Picked up my new pit table this morning from Walmart and like it a lot. Very well made and pretty light weight at the same time. Thanks to everyone that posted, except for the Oposum pictures.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goodtunes1978 Send a message via MSN to goodtunes1978 Send a message via Yahoo to goodtunes1978

cause i have nothin better to do in life except for praying for my wife and coming on here occasionally and posting dumb stuff to break up the manotany and how was your day there fella
goodtunes1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Just curious why you picked this thread to post those pictures? I trust that is NOT your wife who is having the trouble.

Picked up my new pit table this morning from Walmart and like it a lot. Very well made and pretty light weight at the same time. Thanks to everyone that posted, except for the Oposum pictures.
Oposum

LOL