Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Nitro trucks at Walmart?! >

Nitro trucks at Walmart?!

Nitro trucks at Walmart?!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Nitro trucks at Walmart?!

Thoughts, comments...do you think it will hurt or help out RC as a hobby???

http://www.hasbro.com/nitroxrc/
Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Both.

Some moron is gonna hand that to his 5 year old, with the resulting injuries blamed on the toy.

It may introduce some new folks to the world of RC, and hopefully, they'll find their way to a hobby shop or a track.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Both.

Some moron is gonna hand that to his 5 year old, with the resulting injuries blamed on the toy.

It may introduce some new folks to the world of RC, and hopefully, they'll find their way to a hobby shop or a track.
Yea they have been talking about these for at least two years and most concerns were injuries to young kids who are not experienced but some people pointed out that if they get them and say it breaks there could be a good chance for them to go to a hobby shop and then they will have there eyes opened upfrom all the different and more advanced rc cars and hopefully want to get more involved which would be good for the hobby.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Feasible, but unlikely. Go to Walmart, watch carefully who buys these things, and ask yourself, [ is this person "smart" enough to figure this out for themselves? ] More often than not, NO. Why, you may ask?... Because they bought a nitro RC from Walmart.

I'm all about getting new people into the hobby, but I recognize a disaster coming when I see it. Even with warning labels all over it, people will still manage to hurt one of two things: Themselves or the car.

I can see it now, X mas morning spent in the ER cause little Johnny skipped the important step of Reading the Freakin Manual.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah I've seen these before. I already tell people when they walk up to me during a public park bash, the last thing you ever want to do to get into the R/C hobby is buy a nitro for your first car. A Wal-Mart car with a nitro engine is gonna go about as well as a submarine with screen doors.

Originally Posted by beta bob
some people pointed out that if they get them and say it breaks there could be a good chance for them to go to a hobby shop and then they will have there eyes opened upfrom all the different and more advanced rc cars and hopefully want to get more involved which would be good for the hobby.
There's a possibility that could happen, but more than likely someone who paid, what, $80 for this POS and yard sales the thing on its first run will walk into a hobby shop, see the asking price for a fully-optioned Truggy and that it comes as an unassembled rolling chassis, and walk right back out convinced that the R/C hobby as a whole is reserved only for wealthy people with thousands of dollars to burn on toy cars.

That's what we had by me when the Evader ST first came out. The idea that you could buy a truck for $200 and have it on the racetrack that night sold a ton of units, but when people realized the truck had all to do to hang with track regulars AND the plastic all but exploded in the cold Midwest air, people that were optimistic about getting into R/C cars immediately decided anything of worthy quality was waaay outside of their price range and gave it up.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The original deal from two years ago was to sell these at Walmart and sell parts at Hobbytown USA's. My local Hobbytown had all the parts and fuel ready to go when they were recalled or never shipped out, never got the whole story on it. I believe they originally had a radio range problem, as in they had NO range.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
Yeah I've seen these before. I already tell people when they walk up to me during a public park bash, the last thing you ever want to do to get into the R/C hobby is buy a nitro for your first car. A Wal-Mart car with a nitro engine is gonna go about as well as a submarine with screen doors.

There's a possibility that could happen, but more than likely someone who paid, what, $80 for this POS and yard sales the thing on its first run will walk into a hobby shop, see the asking price for a fully-optioned Truggy and that it comes as an unassembled rolling chassis, and walk right back out convinced that the R/C hobby as a whole is reserved only for wealthy people with thousands of dollars to burn on toy cars.

That's what we had by me when the Evader ST first came out. The idea that you could buy a truck for $200 and have it on the racetrack that night sold a ton of units, but when people realized the truck had all to do to hang with track regulars AND the plastic all but exploded in the cold Midwest air, people that were optimistic about getting into R/C cars immediately decided anything of worthy quality was waaay outside of their price range and gave it up.

well said OTE

this used to happen all the time back in the day.
when everyone was running frogs and hornets and wiperblade mechanical speed controls, people could show up with some offbrand radioshack piece of junk and not embarrass themselves too bad.
but as soon as the environment changed and cars starting with the original rc10 hit the track and Bob Novak invented the electronic speed control, those same type people that bought junk showed up and couldn't get their cars off the track fast enough.
then the inevitable questions, "why's mine so slow?"
because yours is a toy bought at a toy store, this one's a hobby quality racer
"so how much does yours cost, because mine costs 89.95?"
when everything's said and done, you're looking at 5-bills to get your foot in the door
eyes rolled, some fainted, all were shocked, and most walked away never to come back again and never even bothered stopping at the hobby shop to look.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
A Wal-Mart car with a nitro engine is gonna go about as well as a submarine with screen doors.

LOL!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
The original deal from two years ago was to sell these at Walmart and sell parts at Hobbytown USA's. My local Hobbytown had all the parts and fuel ready to go when they were recalled or never shipped out, never got the whole story on it. I believe they originally had a radio range problem, as in they had NO range.
I forget what the problem was, but they were recalled. out shop got 4 in, and they were the biggest POS's ive ever seen, and that includes radio sh*t/toysrus cars. For the $$ it cost to get them, it wouldve been more practical to get a rustler or something similar. same price, faster, less hassle
Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I can see it now............RUN-A-WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

It's not a Nitro Truck, it's a Garbage Truck.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer View Post
It's not a Nitro Truck, it's a Garbage Truck.
You could probably have more fun with a garbage truck at least it will run
Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yeah, A garbage truck would be pretty fun.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

They have been advertising putting these on the market for a good 3 years now. I dont know if they will ever see shelves at this rate.

I dont think its a good thing for the hobby. All these cheap Chinese/Japanese companies already make the low dollar shit pile R/c's and they do nothing but discourage people in the hobby because they have so many problems with them and think all rc's are like these.. Im sure they will do something like traxxas and smartech do and advertise crazy unrealistic speeds to lure in the noobs just to make the buck. Its pretty sad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.