Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Computer Questions >

Computer Questions

Computer Questions

Old 07-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Computer Questions

For all you computer geniuses out there who are using Windows Vista is it hard to set up? At Best Buy they told me that it is hard to set up and their Geek Squad can do it but it costs $200. Is it easy enough to set up that I ould do it myself? I found a nice Compaq desktop that I really liked. I am no computer genius but I know the basic things. Should i go to Circuit City? I like CircuitCity better and they have better prices. Best Buy said they would match competitors prices and it is closer. Any thoughts?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No way, Vista is easy to install. Just pop the CD in, enter some basic info like the key (included with the package), and you're set. The program will do the rest. Never EVER listen to what anybody at Best Buy says, they usually have only basic certificates if any, as well as it's pretty obvious to me that they nickel and dime people. I would definitely not pay $200 to have somebody put the disk in the drive for me, basically.

At this time, the computer/IT market as a whole has few standards so companies can get away with this kind of stuff...they're basically like car dealers though..

Personally, I build my own computers, so I don't know much about the retail stuff they sell in the stores...but I'm looking at Best Buy's and Circuit City's websites now and I can see that the desktops are around the same price, most of Circuit City's stuff is more expensive. They look like good computers if all you want to do is use the web, e-mail, stuff like that.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

I figured what they said is BS but now I know when I get it home I won't be lost in setting it up. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The install tells you exactly what to do and holds your hand the whole way.. You will be fine! Geek Squad sucks.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Swig, stay away from Worst Buy Geek Squad and stay away from Windows Vista (unless you bought a BRAND NEW PC)......
Old 07-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Whats so bad about Vista?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

It's a resource hog. If you're using a computer that is only 2 years old, it may not run very fast at all. Plus its slooooooow.....
Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

d4man is right. Only new machines make up for what Vista takes away. Sounds like you have a new machine?

Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer View Post
For all you computer geniuses out there who are using Windows Vista is it hard to set up? At Best Buy they told me that it is hard to set up and their Geek Squad can do it but it costs $200. Is it easy enough to set up that I ould do it myself? I found a nice Compaq desktop that I really liked. I am no computer genius but I know the basic things. Should i go to Circuit City? I like CircuitCity better and they have better prices. Best Buy said they would match competitors prices and it is closer. Any thoughts?
So Im confused, this new machine should already have Vista installed on it. All you will do when you boot it the first time is enter your information.

If your looking for a speed tip with Vista. Get 2 or more gigs of ram. If using the 64 bit version, 4 or more. If you want to look ahead versus behind, use 64 bit versions of Vista home. Stay away from integrated graphics chips, or cards that use system memory versus their own.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

I am planning on getting a brand new PC. The one that I want to get is 2GB RAM with a 500GB hard drive. That should be good right?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Should be.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Also, if this is a brand new PC that you're building yourself, set the MOBO to boot from CD ROM and that's all you need to know to install Vista.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The one that I want to get is 2GB RAM with a 500GB hard drive
If you're gonna get a machine with Vista on it, get more RAM, as Oxy suggested.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I know nothing about Vista but I'm still a bit confused. If you are buying a new computer it should have Vista already installed. I got my HP laptop from Best Buy already set to go and sure as hell didn't pay 200 bux for anything extra. That was with XP though. It came with the free upgrade to Vista but I never bothered to do it.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
d4man is right. Only new machines make up for what Vista takes away. Sounds like you have a new machine?

So Im confused, this new machine should already have Vista installed on it. All you will do when you boot it the first time is enter your information.

If your looking for a speed tip with Vista. Get 2 or more gigs of ram. If using the 64 bit version, 4 or more. If you want to look ahead versus behind, use 64 bit versions of Vista home. Stay away from integrated graphics chips, or cards that use system memory versus their own.
You're suggesting he gets 4+ gb's of ram? Come on now.. The average user will never even get close to utilizing all that ram. Save the money

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I know nothing about Vista but I'm still a bit confused. If you are buying a new computer it should have Vista already installed. I got my HP laptop from Best Buy already set to go and sure as hell didn't pay 200 bux for anything extra. That was with XP though. It came with the free upgrade to Vista but I never bothered to do it.
It's funny that you mention that.. Just recently I was building a professor a computer over on the Dell site and they're making people pay an extra fee if you want XP instead of Vista.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc10gt82 View Post
You're suggesting he gets 4+ gb's of ram? Come on now.. The average user will never even get close to utilizing all that ram. Save the money
Yes. I am. Vista is a hog. And all the new programs coming out that stay resident in memory for it aren't slouches either. As it was, that was for Windows Vista x64 Editions. You really need more ram to take full advantage of a 64bit system with the additional memory addressing it uses.

To be honest, I'm thinking about attempting 16 gigs for my next system with a Vista x64 Ultimate and Ubuntu dual boot. (Do 3d graphics and photoshop). Oh, and a 1 gig HD vid card of course.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.