Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
ROAR hall of fame????? >

ROAR hall of fame?????

ROAR hall of fame?????

Old 05-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default ROAR hall of fame?????

Like any sport or activity there are certain members who are head & shoulders above the rest either in how they finish in competition or how long they have been a part of an organization.
I know a few drivers who are the grass roots of nitro racing who I would elect to a Hall of fame if it existed. These guys to me have seen and done it all since the early days & I think they deserve some recognition for keeping the hobby alive. I won't mention any names but I was just wondering what some other thoughts on this are?Any input from ROAR would be good.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Art Carbonnel gots my vote. His Roar membership number is in the double digits!!!!
He also still races with the young guns. Even thou he's qualified to run in the masters class.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Kurt - good thought but seeing that ROAR has not seemed to even mention the passing of Roy Moody (I think ROAR number 0002) who was a founding father of the hobby and rescued it from extinction after one of the bozo presidents made off with all the money I really believe you are spitting in the wind.(Naw this isn't a burr under my saddle) Note to Bump - ROAR numbers started at 4 digits for members and at one time region directors were three digits, I know mine is 1065.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up ROAR Hall of Fame!

I remember a bunch from when I started racing 1/8th
when I was just a kid living in SoCal racing out at
the Ranch Pit Stop / Pomona in the early 80's.
A great time to see a lot of development in our hobby!
Cool thing's to see every weekend / a lot of fast guys
and the guys that made them fast / Mfg's....

Dick McCoy
John Thorp
Gene Husting
Gil Losi Sr.
Ron Paris
Etc....

The Fast Guys from that time and present that I always
enjoyed watching as a kid at the Annual McCoy races,
several come to mind....

Ralph Burch
Art Carbonnel
Dana Smeltzer
Rick Davis .... the Suspender Dude!
Rich Lee
Curtis Husting
Gary Kyes
Butch Kloeber
Barry Grossenbacher
Re-Pete Fusco
Gil Jr.
Too many to list.... sorry if I left you out...

But there should certainly be a place in the Books /
Hall of Fame as with any sport for the Drivers & Mfg's!

Hopefully this is something that the Current / New ROAR
team in place will consider....

Take care!

T

Last edited by T-BODZ Terry B.; 05-12-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Kurt - good thought but seeing that ROAR has not seemed to even mention the passing of Roy Moody (I think ROAR number 0002) who was a founding father of the hobby and rescued it from extinction after one of the bozo presidents made off with all the money I really believe you are spitting in the wind.(Naw this isn't a burr under my saddle) Note to Bump - ROAR numbers started at 4 digits for members and at one time region directors were three digits, I know mine is 1065.
My point exactly Rick maybe ROAR should be a little more proactive in keeping the hobby alive .(suspender)Guys like you are far and few between I was trying not to mention names but i think you see were I am going with this.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I believe you are correct. I went to a race where they did a competition who had the lowest roar number. Art won. Not sure of his actual number but it was low
Old 05-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

A ROAR Hall of Fame is something that ROAR has been working on for several years. Mike Queller was and I hope still is, a huge contributor to ROAR and I saw him work endlessly on getting this going for the past several years. I'm sure once MQ has some time, he'll reach me and we can continue to work on this project.

Thank you for this thread though.. I love reading the suggestions of who should be included and the history of ROAR with the three and four digit membership numbers.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
Art Carbonnel gots my vote. His Roar membership number is in the double digits!!!!
He also still races with the young guns. Even thou he's qualified to run in the masters class.
i race with Art Carbonel every weekend i race and let me tell you what he is the man to be we all chase Art because he is so consistent and he is an awsome guy i give my vote to Art also
Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
A ROAR Hall of Fame is something that ROAR has been working on for several years. Mike Queller was and I hope still is, a huge contributor to ROAR and I saw him work endlessly on getting this going for the past several years. I'm sure once MQ has some time, he'll reach me and we can continue to work on this project.

Thank you for this thread though.. I love reading the suggestions of who should be included and the history of ROAR with the three and four digit membership numbers.
Dawn - is there any possibility of ROAR noting Roy Moodys passing on the website ?? and I'd like to suggest naming one of the national event trophies in his honor - I'll try and insert the link to the original posting. http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ight=roy+moody
Old 05-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

the one person that I had the priviledge to drive with one time was Jay Halsey. He was the one that outran a car being driven by a stunt driver with an R/C car with a bomb attatched to it. He also has his own product line Jammin' and he does video shoots for TV and Movies where they need to get special shots low to the ground. He would be the one that I would like to see placed in the "Hall of fame."
Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Dawn - is there any possibility of ROAR noting Roy Moodys passing on the website ?? and I'd like to suggest naming one of the national event trophies in his honor - I'll try and insert the link to the original posting. http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ight=roy+moody
Rick, send me an email with what you would like posted on the website.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

I'd like 2 c it start off with Ron Paris!!! That dude was 4 sure an RC GOD!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I'd like 2 c it start off with Ron Paris!!! That dude was 4 sure an RC GOD!!!
ABSOLUTELY!

Actually there are a lot of names.

Art Carbonell
Jay Halsey
Gene Husting and Roger Curtis
Mike Reedy
Gil Losi Sr. and Jr.
Joel Johnson
Bob Novak (who is already in the AMA Hall of Fame)
Bob Rule (Bolink)

I'm sure you all can think of more...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Art Carbonell
Old 05-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ron Rosetti is one of my favorites. Just quietly "lurking" around but often up on the podium.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service