Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Synthetic vs Petrolium Oils ?? What is the best oil & brand ?? >

Synthetic vs Petrolium Oils ?? What is the best oil & brand ??

Synthetic vs Petrolium Oils ?? What is the best oil & brand ??

Old 02-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Tech Champion

Default Synthetic vs Petrolium Oils ?? What is the best oil & brand ??

What motor oil do you use ?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:04 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 199 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
What motor oil do you use ?
dont know what my local BMW dealer uses but my oil changes are every 15,000 miles
Old 02-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I used to use Castrol High Mileage, but have since switched to Synthetic. Right now I have Mobil 1 in my truck as it was cheap at WalMart when I bought it. Valvoline synthetic was on sale at Advance Auto last month so I now have a case of that to use up. IMHO, pretty much anything synthetic in a car will work more than good enough.

In my motorcycle I use Repsol syn blend, but may change to Amsoil my next oil change.

NEVER use a Fram oil filter!!! I used to use them until I saw test data and can that were cut open. Talk about cheap parts. Only Purolator Pure One and Purolator MC oil filters from now on.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 199 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeInCtown View Post
I used to use Castrol High Mileage, but have since switched to Synthetic. Right now I have Mobil 1 in my truck as it was cheap at WalMart when I bought it. Valvoline synthetic was on sale at Advance Auto last month so I now have a case of that to use up. IMHO, pretty much anything synthetic in a car will work more than good enough.

In my motorcycle I use Repsol syn blend, but may change to Amsoil my next oil change.

NEVER use a Fram oil filter!!! I used to use them until I saw test data and can that were cut open. Talk about cheap parts. Only Purolator Pure One and Purolator MC oil filters from now on.
i stopped using FRAMS back in 1989 they did suck
Old 02-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Be very carefull with synthetic oils. If you have a high milage engine that used conventional oil and you switch over, it may cause major problems
Old 02-15-2008, 09:34 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gearheadz80 View Post
Be very carefull with synthetic oils. If you have a high milage engine that used conventional oil and you switch over, it may cause major problems
Thats not necessarily true.

The only problem you have with switching high milage vehicles over to synthetic oils is that older vehicles tend to have a lot of "gunk" inside the engine, a lot of that accumulates right up next to the seals of the engine. Synthetic oil has a lot of detergents in it, and will clean out that gunk, letting the oil have direct contact with that seal the way it "should" - but over time the seal may have hardened and cracked - allowing synthetic oil to leak once the gunk in the engine is cleaned out. Synthetic oil will however soften seals, and sometimes they will eventually re-seal themselves.

When you switch a high milage engine over, you also want to make sure that the first oil change is right at 3,000 - or even less. Just to make sure you change the filter more than anything.

I switched a vehicle with 100,000miles over to synthetic years ago. It leaked a little more than normal for a few months, then it only leaked as much as it ever did with regular dino-fuel. The advantages was that you can go much longer without an oil change, increased gas mileage and less wear!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
dont know what my local BMW dealer uses but my oil changes are every 15,000 miles
In my country ( 98% of the time is stop and go driving ) we change oil every 8000km or 5000miles.

Once I saw a Mercedes Benz S600's engine got stuck because of sludge,.... the owner forget to change oil since new, the car's odometer show 19,000km or 11,800 miles. Strange..... I guess S600 engine is not suitable for humid, hot weather, and low speed road conditions.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have a 1987 Ford Ranger with 281,000 miles on it. Pennzoil, Quaker, Castrol, Motor craft, mobil-1 you flipping name it, its been in it.
fram oil filters you name it they have all been in there.
NO MORE synthetic for the reason stated above.
It marks its spot where ever it goes. Its a heap. But every 3,000 miles and filter, and just about any motor will last.