Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Just Bought My First Gun >

Just Bought My First Gun

Just Bought My First Gun

Old 01-18-2008, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

When I bought my first gun i was uncertain about having it because of feeling uncomfortable owning it. I was held at gunpoint and then shot at. It was in a car jacking for hanig Dayton Wires. Once I picked up my gun at home I started to disassemble and reassmble it a bunch of times to get familiar with the gun. Getting used to hold and the mechanics of one seemed to help me a ton. Going to a range was suddenly easier to do because I was familiar with my gun. Now the internet is an option for you to do research and learn. Remember knowledge is power. Good luck with your purchase and control the gun. Don't become a big man because you now own one. Peace.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Team Tekin

If you ever find yourself in the postition of actually using that gun as self defense, make damn sure it is obvious in your favor. You can't pop someone in the back just because you're pissed he broke into your house, the police will look at that as he was trying to flee for his life and you would be charged with murder. It's a fuzzy line between self defense and homicide.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

why dont you use pepper spray or an alternative or even a stun gun or those new ones that shoot 2 wires at the bad guy and stun him. a gun you can use at longer range like down a hall using rubber bullets then go up to him and shock him.

this isnt a jokey comment this is seriouse that is what ill do, get the highest quality equiptment, you dont want cheap stuff breaking on you during the "conflict" in your house.

so....get a silencer + pepper spray + stun gun/tazer
all high quality and MAKE IT LEGAL

p.s a bb gun (proper own) can hurt as much as a gun with metal pelets (gas powerd) thats also an alternative.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Remember the 3 steps in fire your weapon..

Load....
Shoot...
Aim....
Old 01-18-2008, 10:53 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwik-kid View Post
this isnt a jokey comment this is seriouse that is what ill do, get the highest quality equiptment, you dont want cheap stuff breaking on you during the "conflict" in your house.

so....get a silencer + pepper spray + stun gun/tazer
all high quality and MAKE IT LEGAL

p.s a bb gun (proper own) can hurt as much as a gun with metal pelets (gas powerd) thats also an alternative.
Coming from someone in the UK, We surely cannot take your advise on guns...

A silencer is completely unnecessary for home invasion protection. In fact, I would rather them KNOW i'm shooting at them in case there is another guy outside waiting for the first guy that made entrance to open the front door.

Another FACT, Silencers aren't legal in all states, and are not the easiest items to get your hands on in other states ( You can thank the NFA for that. ). You'd have to go through an ATF background check before getting one if you happen to live in a state that they're legal in.

Suggesting that one use a BB gun as a main protection device is just ludicrous.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post

A silencer is completely unnecessary for home invasion protection. In fact, I would rather them KNOW i'm shooting at them in case there is another guy outside waiting for the first guy that made entrance to open the front door.

Another FACT, Silencers aren't legal in all states, and are not the easiest items to get your hands on in other states ( You can thank the NFA for that. ). You'd have to go through an ATF background check before getting one if you happen to live in a state that they're legal in.

Not if it a big ass BB!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason View Post
One thing you also might want to do is review why the intruder thought your place might be a nice target. Think about things like lights not being on.. yard not mowed, pile of newspapers on the drive way or wherever. big target items within view of the window/door like flat screen tvs, the leg lamp from christmas story, etc..
Yep, I've already made some changes. I installed a couple of motion sensor lights in the back yard and I reinstalled the iron door that the previous owner took off the back door and stashed in the attic for some reason.

If you've pissed off anyone lately that might be another reason they would want in.
The policeman who came to my house said the very same thing. The only enemy I have right now is the current layout at the local electric offroad track.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks for the info TSR6. I went to the shooting range today on my lunch break. I plan on going once per week until I'm really comfortable with my 45. I grew up with a mom who believes that "guns are evil" so I almost have a genetic fear of them.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:38 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
Thanks for the info TSR6. I went to the shooting range today on my lunch break. I plan on going once per week until I'm really comfortable with my 45. I grew up with a mom who believes that "guns are evil" so I almost have a genetic fear of them.
No problem.

I'm sending you a PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post

first of all, why is it ludicrous? just becausee have strict gun controls, doesn't make us any different... people still own guns, and people still get shot.

you can get BB guns that will go through plate steel, or 1/4 inch plate glass with a few simple mods (like super high pressure gas, or massive springs). i would rather have on of those than a real gun. its then assault with a weapon, not a shooting. also, BB gun's arn't neccesarily a defense, but a deterrent. if you have an AK in your umbrella stand and a winchester above the mantelpeice you're alot less likely to get robbed.

of course,all this is coming from me, as when last time my room was in danger of being 'broken into' (someone was staying round who had... light fingers) i electrified my doorhandle with a huge supercapacitor charged with a few thousand volts.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think the most intimidating thing is the sound of a 12 gauge...LOL You have a nicer spread too, but a lot harder to keep in the night stand.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I would have gotten a shotgun, A 12 gauge is a much better home defence weapon, A pistol is better in close tight situations but for 99.9% of home defence a Shotgun is the way to go..
Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
A week ago last Sunday, somebody tried to break into my house at 6AM while I was sleeping. Needless to say, that left me feeling a little unsafe in my own house so I upgraded my home defense weapon from an ice axe to a brand new Springfield Armory XD 45 Compact with 4" inch barrel. I only used guns a handful of times when I was a kid so I feel like a total noob. I signed up for a free intro class at the shop where I bought the gun, but it would be cool to get some info on ammo and other accessories... What kind of bullets should I buy? I've heard that there are bullets that lessen the chance of collateral damage in case I miss the bad guy. Is that true? What's the best way to conceal and carry a compact 4" 45? etc, etc........ Thanks in advance for the help.
Well just go to your local gun shop and do the class that you said you signed up and know the gun inside and out.After you learned all about the gun inside and out go up to your local gun shop/Shooting place and shoot the gun everynow and thene.Now i have been shooing gun's since i was 12(.45,.22,
12G and many more) and i know a lot about guns and every gun i have ever shot i know how to strip it down and clean it inside and out.
So like i said gun to your gun shop everynow and thene and do shoot a few clip's.
Now about the bullets about which if you can get one that doesnt hurt the other guy if you shot him i am not sure about that but i am pretty sure that they got some.
Just my 2 cent's
Remeber learn all about your firearm and clean it and know how it works inside and out.

PS:Long time ago i went to my gun shop and shot my 9MM and a nother guy next to me had a .22 and he though he was out of round and turned to go back to the table and the gun was pointing at the ground and he pulled the trigger and there was still a bullet in there and i was about 2 feet away and i got hit with the little shreds from it hitting the ground but i had jeans on but just leting you know always make sure your gun is fully out of ammo.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

being born a raised in the UK, having worked on a millitary base for 14 years and seen semi automatic rifles on a daily bases, I must admit, the way you guys in the US are allowed to own firearms is still surprising.

I do like the fact that if you do find someone in your house, you can defend your self and give the intruder a pasting, in the UK, you woul be done for Actual Bodily Harm and the intruder get compensation.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst View Post
being born a raised in the UK, having worked on a millitary base for 14 years and seen semi automatic rifles on a daily bases, I must admit, the way you guys in the US are allowed to own firearms is still surprising.

I do like the fact that if you do find someone in your house, you can defend your self and give the intruder a pasting, in the UK, you woul be done for Actual Bodily Harm and the intruder get compensation.
Well i know here in Ks,USA they just passed a law and you can carry and armed weapon but you have to be 21 and pay $1000 take around 3 shooting classes and never been in trouble with the law,My friend went and got his permit and everything once the law went out and he feels much safer.
But i dont know what other states have that law also but Ks just passed it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.