Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Hobbico Closes A Main Hobbies Dealer Account >

Hobbico Closes A Main Hobbies Dealer Account

Hobbico Closes A Main Hobbies Dealer Account

Old 11-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hobbico Closes A Main Hobbies Dealer Account

Chico, California, November 16, 2007 – On Tuesday November 13th, Hobbico decided to close the A Main Hobbies dealer account with Great Planes Model Distributing. This account was closed without A Main Hobbies’ knowledge, and Hobbico/Great Planes will not provide any reason for closing this account. The A Main Hobbies dealer account with Great Planes was in good financial standing. Since the morning of Tuesday November 13th, A Main Hobbies had been trying to reconcile this situation with Hobbico/Great Planes, and on Thursday November 15th A Main Hobbies received a final phone call from Hobbico/Great Planes indicating their decision is final and will not be changed. Read More...
Old 11-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Good Job Hobbico!

Well its about time!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Why would Hobbico do that?
Old 11-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCSteve93 View Post
Why would Hobbico do that?
My GUESS, there was something going on behind the scenes, something that A main was doing didn't sit well with Hobbico.... Seems hard to lose something like this if you are ordering a fair amount of stuff, and paying your bills.... I doubt we are gonna get the full straight story from either side, just speculating.....
Old 11-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Suspended

somebody did a naughty naughty thing
Old 11-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

coz they didnt like Amain selling at a low price.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

No better time to support your local hobby shops anyway !...

TWO local hobby shops just opened in the town I live, and I was more than happy to purchase a Losi Slider from one and various parts from the other. One of the shops is already planning a grassroots style racing program...I'm pumped!

Support your local hobby shops, they are what will keep this hobby growing!
Old 11-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fascist business, 1
Company that enjoys saving you money, 0

I have a lot of respect for a company willing to sacrifice their business before following ridiculous MAP policies.

Adam Glatt
Old 11-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

There are people on the other side of those MAP prices that need to make money too, and the other smaller shops on this end that need to survive... Kind of like the Walmart effect......
Old 11-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The people on the other side of MAP are the suppliers and distributors, who make more money when retailers violate MAP. The smaller shops that suffer are the ones that fail to provide a useful service to their customers.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A Main Hobbies is an internet-based company. Hobbico has policies agienst internet based companies. Infact, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to prove that you have a real storefront. If A Main provided false facts about having a store front, then Hobbico has every right to close their account. I'm glad Hobbico did because internet based retailers screw over the local economy and LHS's have a hard time competing.

Can a rookie take his new T-Maxx to A Main and ask them to help him tune his new truck? Sure you can save $10 buy shopping online, but will you get personal service and help when you need it?

-Frank
Old 11-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
A Main Hobbies is an internet-based company. Hobbico has policies agienst internet based companies. Infact, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to prove that you have a real storefront. If A Main provided false facts about having a store front, then Hobbico has every right to close their account. I'm glad Hobbico did because internet based retailers screw over the local economy and LHS's have a hard time competing.

Can a rookie take his new T-Maxx to A Main and ask them to help him tune his new truck? Sure you can save $10 buy shopping online, but will you get personal service and help when you need it?

-Frank
Oh please...LOL...they just don't want anyone to compete with Tower.

I think I'm going to go and order something from Amain right this minute as a show of support. They rock.

If the shop here in town had half the selection or prices anywhere near close, I would buy more stuff there, but they don't...and I'm not paying extra just so some kid can get his T-maxx broken in for free.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Oh please...LOL...they just don't want anyone to compete with Tower.

I think I'm going to go and order something from Amain right this minute as a show of support. They rock.

If the shop here in town had half the selection or prices anywhere near close, I would buy more stuff there, but they don't...and I'm not paying extra just so some kid can get his T-maxx broken in for free.

Exactly

Most of the time, the information you can find on message boards is more accurate that the info given out by some minimum wage employee in the hobby shop.

Furthermore, shopping on the internet is better because you don't have some creepy guy always following you thinking that you are gonna shoplift something.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shop where you want. I don't care. But, don't cry to me when you break a part and have to wait a week because all the LHS closed down. And don't whine because there are no more local tracks in the area.

-Frank
Old 11-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
Shop where you want. I don't care. But, don't cry to me when you break a part and have to wait a week because all the LHS closed down. And don't whine because there are no more local tracks in the area.

-Frank
1) The local store doesn't carry parts for anything I own, aside from my 18t. It's all Revos and Savages. They have a little on-road stuff (tires), but again...I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $50 for a set of Sorexes to pay for the service they give to someone else.

2) Maybe it's a rural thing, but "Local Hobby Shop" (or "LHS" in interweb-speak ) does not mean "track" around here. There's a hobby shop that has a track, but closes during the hours they have races . There's a track that has a hobby shop, but they carry NOTHING electric.

Most of the shops around here have nothing to do with any track. I drive 35 miles to go to another shop (Speedtech) or order from Amain. Speedtech is *my* "LHS". Like most internet places, he's a brick-and-mortar shop as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.