Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Hobbico Closes A Main Hobbies Dealer Account >

Hobbico Closes A Main Hobbies Dealer Account

Hobbico Closes A Main Hobbies Dealer Account

Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedybill View Post
I am appalled that you would even insinuate that your LHS makes that kind of profit. If they did there would be a LOT more of them around. IF and I mean IF< you have a lot of $$ & I mean a LOT, you could do like A-main & several others do & buy in bulk, that is where the discounts are at, and I sure that your LHS doesn't have that kinda $$ to do that

Speedy
I'm starting to get a better picture on why you don't make any money...LOL
Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Yeah, the world is so unfair...
no one said anything about the 'world' being unfair, cept you
you have your opinion & I have mine
we agree to disagree

I think its laughable than 'Hobbico' did what they did
you don't
now what?
more smart-a$$ comments?
probably
Old 11-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am appalled that you would even insinuate that your LHS makes that kind of profit. If they did there would be a LOT more of them around. IF and I mean IF< you have a lot of $$ & I mean a LOT, you could do like A-main & several others do & buy in bulk, that is where the discounts are at, and I sure that your LHS doesn't have that kinda $$ to do that

Speedy
I don't know how much my LHS makes based on what they charge me, as I don't know what Kyosho America and Mugen USA charges them. I'm also not privy to how much Kyosho Japan and Mugen Japan charges Kyosho America and Mugen USA. All I know, is the difference between what it costs me if I buy it from Japan and what it costs me to buy it at the store. That's all I'm saying.

BTW - By double, I mean it would cost me $183.42 if I bought it from my LHS, not $335.54.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

no one said anything about the 'world' being unfair, cept you
you have your opinion & I have mine
we agree to disagree
You can't buy as much as A-Main, Carolina's, Speedtech, Ultimate and Losipartshouse...so you can't compete, right?

Like I said, I'm starting to get a better picture about why you can't make any money...LOL Ever think about maybe selling more?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Joe your not stupid ok. Nor are a lot of other people on here.
We are off coarse in this battle to keep tracks open and sales are the key.
In years gone buy a track stayed open until they sold out or just retired around here. Then the net came along and in the last 8 years or so its really put some hurt on the tracks.
Now are you saying the net has absolutely nothing to do with this?

Sorry A-main you are just getting the shaft here aren't ya?

A-main would not be so cheap if they only had 50 or 60 patrons.
Tracks are trying to maintain a facility with very minimal stock.
They cant afford to have stuff sitting collecting dust.

Giving it away to 50 or 60 people wont pay the bills.

The net has not only put the hurt on tracks but in major shopping centers as well.

If A-main had a facility bigger than there market they would down size.

The tracks don't have that privilege. We are all weak when it comes to getting the same thing for less with out the compromise of quality.

If A-main reached 1000 people in base sales and profited 100.00 in a cudical.
And the track had 50 base patrons selling the same thing yet in scale its facility is is a small quick stop. Theres going to be a price hike in order to maintain the same margin of sales profit.

So the track has no choice but to charge more..........orrrrrrrrrrrr.

Raise the price to race. And charge an arm and a leg for the parts you might need on a whim. Every place I've been is very close on parts kits are very off the chart in prices. I would bet thats because the volume of A-main is getting them lower bulk rates.
Also A-main sells a lot of non RC stuff which is eveidence of buying power.

A debate ends face to face with a solution. And with all involved winning.

An argument ends back to back and no one wins. We all lose.
There may be no answer.
I would say on road in the park if you can get your city to build it.
And race when you can.

Off road in some ones back field if the cows don't mind.
The nets here to stay its up to the patrons to keep the tacks open.

Unless some one wants to franchise like hobby town.
And I'm sure the thought has crossed there mind.

So do you really think lowering the cost of products will help the tracks and LHS's?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If 'net hobbyshops are putting major hurt on the LHS, the LHS can always sell on the 'net themselves. Many types of retail businesses have a physical store and an Internet presence as well. Why can't the LHS do that?

It's not like the internet is exclusively for Tower Hobbies or A-MAIN. Any LHS can sell on the 'net.

So the LHS should stop complaining. Everyone is playing on a level playing field. If the LHS chooses not to sell on the 'net, then they shouldn't be complaining about other 'net hobbyshops destroying their business.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

I think you guys have it backwards on a couple things...

First, again and again I will tell you: "Local Hobby Shop" does NOT equal "track". At least in SoCal, it is far and away the exception, rather than the rule. You guys use the terms as if they're interchangeable and they clearly aren't.

In a reasoned debate, you have to agree on a set of facts first.

Second, most of the best shops ARE brick and mortar.

Third, people don't always shop online based on prices alone. Prices are part of it, but I don't necessarily the way you might think. At least for me it isn't. At my local place, the prices are based on full list...sometimes they sell at market/normal prices, sometimes they don't. Sometimes, they're at/near full list. If you think I'm paying 289 for a 13.5 combo or $50 for a set of Sorexes...or if you think I should...we're never going to agree.

For me, it's parts availability and knowing what the price is going to be. Amain really isn't much cheaper on the stuff I buy...but they have it and the price is posted. I can buy what I need and I know what I am going to pay for it. Not so at the local place.

"Kyosho? " is the usual response...and knowing that the MSRP on Kyosho parts far exceeds the "street price", I never know what th eparts are going to cost me...or since they have to order them direct, when I'll get them. I can give them the part number for a spur gear and it may be a couple days and it may be a month or more...it may be $3 it may be $8.

I can go to Speedtech and walk out with what I want, and the prices are posted. It's WAY worth the keystrokes or the gas money.

You need tires for the weekend? Good luck getting them in the same week here, but Losipartshouse will ship whatever you need to you next day. The price is really the same with shipping...or really close...but THEY HAVE IT. I can also drive by there and get what I need...they have all the inserts...you name it.

So...what's you guys' issue with traditional brick and mortar places that sell online?

About tracks (with shops) closing...I've also said this time and time again...the track fees should reflect the costs. If you expect the local (non-racing) crowd to pay significantly higher prices just to subsidize your racing, then you might as well start looking for another track tonight...because that place is doomed.

The local tracks that sell stuff (Rev, Socal and Pegasus) are pretty good. SoCal always had what you needed and at decent prices and while i can't speak for everyone that raced there...I always spend plenty when I go there.

Revelation's shop used to SUCK when I started going there...no inventory...stupid prices (full MSRP on everything) and the place almost went under. I think he had too much on his plate and not enough capital to make it work. Dana sublet the shop, it became AirLand Hobbies and now it kicks ass...competitive prices, great selection (for gas guys, that is) and it's pretty much jammed all the time. 180* turnaround. They'll met or beat anyone's price, online or local. Not a big shop, just a great shop and it's thriving from what I can tell.

Pegasus sells at/near list, they have decent selection...service pretty much sucks and they're closed when we race. I do buy what I can, but during the few minutes they're open while we're there, it's almost impossible to actually get anything from the kids behind the counter.

Decent (not cheap) prices + service + selection is the answer...the online places that kick ass offer all three. Any two will do for a local place. They can't stock everything of course, but if they don't have what you need...they better not think they can charge you extra for them not having it and give you attitude because you had the nerve to ask for it.

I really think you guys should stop complaining about the online places and look at the real reasons that people don't buy in your local shops. For the most part, Tower and the bigger online places don't really have low prices, they're actually pretty high compared to the better local places.

The blame game is not really productive in this case.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 403forbidden View Post
If 'net hobbyshops are putting major hurt on the LHS, the LHS can always sell on the 'net themselves. Many types of retail businesses have a physical store and an Internet presence as well. Why can't the LHS do that?

It's not like the internet is exclusively for Tower Hobbies or A-MAIN. Any LHS can sell on the 'net.

So the LHS should stop complaining. Everyone is playing on a level playing field. If the LHS chooses not to sell on the 'net, then they shouldn't be complaining about other 'net hobbyshops destroying their business.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

First, again and again I will tell you: "Local Hobby Shop" does NOT equal "track".
this is also true where i live...

amain is a great sales site, and i pretty much never buy from anywhere else online...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 403forbidden View Post

Thats a great idea. Only thing is our carpet track did just that. Its been a flop.
They still have it but its worthless. And it just links you to other sites.
They don't even stock 80% of whats on there. It just comes threw them.
I've seen this on other sites one was out of California. I don't know any thing about that aspect aside from what I've seen and it appears that advertisement is greater with the big vender's and recognition is there.
I personally think its to little to late for that approach.
Its not working here. Thats Midwest Missouri BTW.
I don't own a track but it seems to me if a person could get the stock built up and get it out quick it would work. It takes a lot of exertion.
And the list of stock you would need is endless.

Close outs on BST's work to unload but just getting it to grow is the hard part.
There serious competition and theres years of a head start to catch up.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

You can't exactly blame Speedtech because your track place doesn't do it successfully. Speedtech started almost entirely advertising on THIS site alone. They grew from the trunk of Steve's car to his garage to a nice full-fledged shop with a great online presence.

The thing you have to get over is that just because you don't like the results, you can't just blame the other people in the game for playing it better.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Tech Lord

I think you guys have it backwards on a couple things...

First, again and again I will tell you: "Local Hobby Shop" does NOT equal "track". At least in SoCal, it is far and away the exception, rather than the rule. You guys use the terms as if they're interchangeable and they clearly aren't.

In a reasoned debate, you have to agree on a set of facts first.

Second, most of the best shops ARE brick and mortar.

Third, people don't always shop online based on prices alone. Prices are part of it, but I don't necessarily the way you might think. At least for me it isn't. At my local place, the prices are based on full list...sometimes they sell at market/normal prices, sometimes they don't. Sometimes, they're at/near full list. If you think I'm paying 289 for a 13.5 combo or $50 for a set of Sorexes...or if you think I should...we're never going to agree.

For me, it's parts availability and knowing what the price is going to be. Amain really isn't much cheaper on the stuff I buy...but they have it and the price is posted. I can buy what I need and I know what I am going to pay for it. Not so at the local place.

"Kyosho? " is the usual response...and knowing that the MSRP on Kyosho parts far exceeds the "street price", I never know what th eparts are going to cost me...or since they have to order them direct, when I'll get them. I can give them the part number for a spur gear and it may be a couple days and it may be a month or more...it may be $3 it may be $8.

I can go to Speedtech and walk out with what I want, and the prices are posted. It's WAY worth the keystrokes or the gas money.

You need tires for the weekend? Good luck getting them in the same week here, but Losipartshouse will ship whatever you need to you next day. The price is really the same with shipping...or really close...but THEY HAVE IT. I can also drive by there and get what I need...they have all the inserts...you name it.

So...what's you guys' issue with traditional brick and mortar places that sell online?

About tracks (with shops) closing...I've also said this time and time again...the track fees should reflect the costs. If you expect the local (non-racing) crowd to pay significantly higher prices just to subsidize your racing, then you might as well start looking for another track tonight...because that place is doomed.

The local tracks that sell stuff (Rev, Socal and Pegasus) are pretty good. SoCal always had what you needed and at decent prices and while i can't speak for everyone that raced there...I always spend plenty when I go there.

Revelation's shop used to SUCK when I started going there...no inventory...stupid prices (full MSRP on everything) and the place almost went under. I think he had too much on his plate and not enough capital to make it work. Dana sublet the shop, it became AirLand Hobbies and now it kicks ass...competitive prices, great selection (for gas guys, that is) and it's pretty much jammed all the time. 180* turnaround. They'll met or beat anyone's price, online or local. Not a big shop, just a great shop and it's thriving from what I can tell.

Pegasus sells at/near list, they have decent selection...service pretty much sucks and they're closed when we race. I do buy what I can, but during the few minutes they're open while we're there, it's almost impossible to actually get anything from the kids behind the counter.

Decent (not cheap) prices + service + selection is the answer...the online places that kick ass offer all three. Any two will do for a local place. They can't stock everything of course, but if they don't have what you need...they better not think they can charge you extra for them not having it and give you attitude because you had the nerve to ask for it.

I really think you guys should stop complaining about the online places and look at the real reasons that people don't buy in your local shops. For the most part, Tower and the bigger online places don't really have low prices, they're actually pretty high compared to the better local places.

The blame game is not really productive in this case.
Now your getting to the goods no argument here and it comes off a lot better with out the sarcasm.
I buy from the track but I buy from A-Main and Horizon. I just ordered some Shock shafts that no one around here stocked.
So in part I would never say never buy from the net. That would be stupid. I am saying that theres an issue.
And looking for answers to a Q. You have really shed some bright light on a very sensitive subject.
I Have a whole new perspective to see from on this post. Makes sense to me.

I would say its also a solution.
I hate it when I have to concede.
Really I will look at this in a different light.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Between the 2 LHS that I visit (there's another one the first name is hobby and the last name rhymes with "clown" since thats who they hire). I buy 80% of my gear from them. Kits, engines, batteries, chargers, fuel, parts, whatever.. I only buy online what they don't stock or are out of stock because I can get the parts faster (not really cheaper.. I'd rather pay the extra 5 or 10% and tax to get it NOW rather than wait 3 or 4 days). Nobody has mentioned the support you get when you buy locally. I'd rather spend the extra $$ for a "big ticket" item and if I have a problem with it I can actually go and talk face to face with someone and get the situation rectified rather than box it back up, send it in and play a waiting game. I've gone to the LHS, bought the wrong stuff, taken it back and got store credit (if they didn't have the correct item) or got my $$ back and ordered the stuff online.. You get the wrong stuff by mail order then you go through the hassle of having to send it back. I like going to the LHS more because they actually KNOW me. I walk in, get a "hello" or at least a heads up, shoot the shit, talk about the race, whatever. You build a realtionship with the LHS owners/workers like you do with the guys at the bar or the shop you take your car to. You don't get that personal touch with the internet.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

I live right around the corner from the local place. Like 200 yards. I like the people who own it. I consider them to be my friends...I've been to their house, they've been to mine, I've worked on their cars, I help them behind the counter and I helped them expand their store. It's not a like/dislike appreciate/not appreciate deal...they have ridiculous prices on the stuff I buy if they have it at all.

They're into gas stuff and RTR's, noobs, rather than racers. Their business plan doesn't really include people like me...electric guys. They have some electric stuff (often at exorbitant prices) and I'm sure I could talk them down to normal prices on some of whatever they do stock, but I don't like to do business that way. I hate when people grind on me, so I don't do it to other people. I go in there and hang out, help people when I can, but if I'm looking for something more than $20...if they have it...I'm probably not buying it there.

Shims? Bearings? Duratrax crap at $2.50 each. $15/pr Losi 1/10 tires, but never a matched set or more than one. It's basically a "nooby shop", rather than a race-style shop. They have a beautiful place, but they have everything from dollhouses to trains to planes to tons of helis...lots of Revos and traxxas stuff and maybe 2 Tamiya parts in the whole place.

"Mini? What's a Mini?"

I love the place and I really like the owners, I just can't bring myself to buy anything there anymore. If I need a rocket, I'm there though.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I hate it when people get on there high horse about supporting your local hobby shop.. Maybe its just me but Id rather pay $10 for a part sitting in my lounge chair and waiting 3 days than drive to my local hobby which is 20 miles away with gas being $3.09 and paying $20.
Maybe its just because my local hobby shop sucks balls. I have to order fuel, (which takes a week and a half to get in) and they dont carry any decent brands.. There idea of a high end R/c is Cen.. So I aint having that. I brought my Baja in there and they nearly shit. I honestly dont think they had even heard of it before.. So its kinda hard to support a place like that. Theres another one in town but there prices are crazy! (and the dude thinks Traxxas is god..lol). They charge $30-$35 for a gallon of fuel, sell fuel line for $5 a foot and other crazy shit like that.
Amainhobbies is awesome. Great prices, great customer service, and just overall a great experiance every time. Its Hobbico/Great planes loss if ya ask me..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.