Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Mountain Biking. >

Mountain Biking.

Mountain Biking.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Mountain Biking.

Hey Guy's, Im looking to get into mountain biking and was wondering if you knew some good forums on the web, Any mountain biking experence would be great! Thank's.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i used to ride downhill but quit due to injuries
what kind of riding would you like to get into : street, dirt jumping, cross country, downhill, trials theres heaps to choose from .
Old 10-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Chris, i was thinking about doing cross country..My friend's were refering me to the specialized stumpjumer. I would like a full suspension bike. Any opionion's?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

im not too sure about x country but
the giant reign range is good and so is the stumpjumper
go to pinkbike.com if you really want to learn alot its a great forum
Old 10-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I was an avid mountain biker. Dont have th time anymore. Always can plenty of water when riding. I used a Camelback often.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by freefallmarine View Post
Chris, i was thinking about doing cross country..My friend's were refering me to the specialized stumpjumer. I would like a full suspension bike. Any opionion's?

I use to race the expert class for year`s here in the N/w....

Full suspension is`nt necessary, in fact a full suspension bike will require a bit more effort to get it down a single track compared to a hard tail...

hard tail = more acceleration , better climbing & agility...

full suspension = better down hill and bumps , better ride comfort....

Its a tuff choice...
But if you are in excellent shape & are considering racing , get the hard tail....

If you are not racing and are only a recreational rider , get the full suspension
Old 10-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Thank's for the reply guy's. Look's like the off season will be a doozie.... Mountain Bikng really look's like fun, my wife is about as stoked as i am...
Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

I found I ride better with my Full Suspension bike (07 Giant Anthem) than I did with my hardtail (06 GF Big Sur). Full suspension has come a long way in the past few years. Take a look at the new Gary Fisher HiFi Full Suspension cross country bike, 23 lbs, Nice! My Anthem is 26 lbs and it rides single track fantastic. I just took it out west (colorado, moab, cali, montana, idaho) and climbed a lot of mountain roads and single track with it and took some rough decents too (not crazy, but more rough than what I generally see here in the mid west). I was so happy I had my full suspension compared to my hard tail. It's only 3.5" of travel in the back, but I personally think it makes a big difference. That being said, I have seen hard tails win races, so they are no slouch. But if you are not in the top physical condition, full suspension is probably a better bet. Just be sure you spend as much as you comfortably can at a real bike shop.

For websites, a good one is http://www.mtbr.com
Old 10-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i ride my 4 year old, bashed up hard trek 4100 and as a recreation rider, can jump well and go cross country for a long while (until my arse hurts). i would reccomend SPD cycling shoes, because you can clip yourself with your bike and get that extra bit of power (you can pull up as well as down) i will not consider riding without them now. don't worry if you feel uncomfortable without them, you will feel more uncomfortable when you go over your handlebars because of a bad jump.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Man, I remember getting my 6-speed 20" bike with a moto-X number plate up front. That was bad ass. And $130. Now I see what real bikes cost. JEEZ!

What's up Freefall? I thought I'd join in. Took me a while to find this thread. I'm amazed each day at how large this website is. LOL
Old 10-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

OK fellow biker's... Im just wonderng if money was no object, what 2008 bike would you be riding right now?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Legend

I always went faster on a Trek ....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 03-31-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Can't tell what model that is.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm actually just getting back on my bike again. I rode for the first time in 4 years (had some health issues) last Sunday and I rode again this morning. I'm in bad shape. I could only do 5 miles both days.

I'm riding my 2000 Giant Warp DS2 with a Rock Shox Judy SL 100mm fork. It's a tank. But it's reliable and easy to ride. Once I get my ass back into the shape I was in 4 years ago, I'll be in the market for a new bike. If I were buying a new bike right now, I'd be getting the new Giant Trance X2. This thing is sick. I rode one just around the parking lot of my local shop the other day. It's so smooth. Obviously couldn't tell how well it handled anything rough, any climbing or descending, but I'm sure it'd be better than my 7 year old tank. Not to mention the flat black paint is kick ass.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TRANCE-X2-08.pdf (117.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you have $2,000 or more to spend a Trek full suspension is a good choice. If not then a mid range hardtail $600-900 is another good choice. If on a budget then $400 will get you a good quality bike, not as light perhaps, but more than trail worthy.

In what part of the country will you be riding ?

Enjoy, it's a great sport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.