Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Mountain Biking. >

Mountain Biking.

Mountain Biking.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
looks good! i wanted my dad to get a kayaking helmet with the same finish but... he went for the tacky red one. i'd like to get out at some time and just get filthy, but i don't know if i will. and i need a new rear tyre too is there a particular tyre of choice for mud? i've got the stock bontragers on my bike, the rear one's looking a bit ropey now. i get lots of wheel spin in pretty much anything wet...

I don't know anything about riding in the wet. I live in San Diego.

Actually I did have one ride years ago that we had to take the bikes to a self serve car wash to power wash them afterwards. It started dumping on us 8 miles into an out and back trail that was 20 miles round trip. That sucked ass. I like my dry weather riding, thank you. (I know, I'm a spoiled sissy from California. )

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 11-19-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

looks good! i wanted my dad to get a kayaking helmet with the same finish but... he went for the tacky red one. i'd like to get out at some time and just get filthy, but i don't know if i will. and i need a new rear tyre too is there a particular tyre of choice for mud? i've got the stock bontragers on my bike, the rear one's looking a bit ropey now. i get lots of wheel spin in pretty much anything wet...
Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Heck I have a 1997 Cannondale F700 that still rocks...Too bad I have had health issues the last 7.5 years.
I can not wait until I can get back on it. Although all the land around me that had nice trails is now developed for houses...Man it stinks, but 30-45mins away I have lots of killer trails...

Jon,
That helmet is nice.
I will have to get one when I get back on the bike.
I lost most of the weight I needed to, to get back on the bike. Just need to get some lung capasity again.
Hope to see you at the track soon...I will be back at BCR on the Dec. 1st hopefully.

-Shookie <><
Old 11-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Well guy's i went with a Specialized stumpjumper fsr comp. My wife got the stumpjumper safire comp, Man this is going to be fun!!! I too decided to go with a full face helmet. since i saw an endo on a trail that took out some pearly whites....Lets start a recommended trail, you would suggest if we were coming to your neck of the wood's.. And thank's for all you replys and suggestions...
Old 11-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

If you were coming out to San Diego, you've got a lot of options depending on the kind of riding.

San Clemente Canyon (My favorite): 9 mile or 14 mile loop depending on if you cut it off early and ride up and over the killer hill that is Genesee Ave. back to the trail head. Mostly twisty single track, up and down the side of the canyon hills.

Mission Trails State Park: This park you could ride a different combo of trails every weekend for a year and never repeat the exact same trail. I like the northern out and back twisty single track that's a very slight climb going out. Not sure how far up this actually goes. Got chased away by the MCAS Miramar MP's once after about 10 miles. Then turn around and head back down the hill. You don't realize how much of a hill it was until you turn around.

Penisquitos: 6 mile end to end out and back. Wide, rolling fire roads with a few decent climbs and descents. I think a lot of this may have burned up last month though.

Laguna Mountain: Awesome trail out in the middle of the Cleveland National Forrest. Out in the middle of nowhere. There were even free range cattle out there the last time we rode it. About a 10 mile loop with everything you can think of except huge climbs. I think this trail was pretty badly damaged in the Cedar Fire 4 years ago though and last time I was in the area, it was still pretty dead out there.

There are a lot of others too. Those were my frequent rides back in the day. So far since I've started again I've only ridden Mission Trails and gone about 3 miles before I have to turn around and I rode one section of San Clemente Canyon the other day.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 11-19-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Hey John, Im heading to SD in the spring. My brother is staioned at Camp Pendelton ill have to check out those trails. Ill give you a shout when time gets close.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, let me know when it's getting close. Hopefully I'll be in good enough shape by then and I'll be able to meet up with you and show you some of the good long trails.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Sound good.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Addict

2008 Giant Reign X1 FTW!

Spend squillions on toy cars...then more on bikes...I think I have my priorities all wrong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
reignx1.jpg (94.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Speak of no such travisty!!!! Your priorities are fine my good man. Keep up the good work. And like r/c i shall be spending money on tire's...
Old 11-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Very nice. Your priorities are just fine.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have'nt done much mountian biking but i used to race bmx in the crusier class heres pic of me in Orange county manualing the big tabletop
Attached Images
rob1.jpg (5.0 KB, 18 views)
fast rob.jpg (57.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I always rode shcwinn until they changed over to crap. Now I have Jamis bikes. Couldn't be happier.

I have an 02? Jamis Dakota XC, and an 01 Jamis Quest Road Bike. Love them both.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Wow, looks like i have to do some extra peddling, after this thurs.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Well guys. I met my first major goal in getting back on my bike. Thanksgiving morning I rode the 8 mile San Clemente Canyon loop that I wasn't able to get more than a half mile into when I had to stop riding 4 years ago. I think I may have pushed myself a little too far too soon and I paid for it the next couple of days. But that ride on that day was my number one goal. Unfortunately we've actually been getting water coming out of the sky. I think it's called rain or something. I don't like riding in the wet so I haven't been able to get on the trail since then.

On a side note, I picked up a DVD called ROAM. Made by The Collective. Awesome. Great music. Great footage. Great locations. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 12-03-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service