RC turbocharger

Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RC turbocharger

hi all, had a random idea i wish to share with the world: i looked at an old exhaust manifold and had a brainwave. it was exactley the right shape as to put a rotor in and make a turbo charger to force air into the air filter (you know how they work). also, i though of using a small air compresser (240 motor in the battery box maybe?) to force air down a length of fuel tube into the engine. anyone seen this kind of thing pulled off? or what about the feasibility of it? coz theres a custom RC race series for schools i though about persuading my school to enter. the engines can be modified an everything?
Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

I've seen Super chargers advertised, but never turbos, and I can tell you why... The engines are making so much power naturally aspirated, that nobody wants to complicate things further for power they probably can't use. Now if it's Tuning you're into, and/or you just want to be different, knock yourself out!... I and many others would love to see it work.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

i have an old engine i may try a few methods out on. anyone know how to break in an engine that won't fit in a car? (and has a broken clutch spring)
Old 10-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ive seen testing figures done from super charged two stroke, and read up on them. because of the nature of a 2 stroke, there isn't to much to be gained from forced induction engine. im not saying you wont get more power, im just saying there are better and more efficient ways to do it. what would be awesome is an rc 4 stroke turbo, id like to see how much power you could crank out of that. on of the issues with the whole system is the carbs really aren't designed to have pressurized air. also turbo job would be less reliable than a supercharger or NO2. it would def requite some precision machining balancing and such. i don't want to come of sounding negative with my post i encourage new ideas and developments. have fun with it.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

rb inovations has no2 and a subercharger all ready. if u could get a os .40 or say so 4 stroke and put there no2 and supercharger kits on that id liek to see some dyno results
Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raceGEEK View Post
Ive seen testing figures done from super charged two stroke, and read up on them. because of the nature of a 2 stroke, there isn't to much to be gained from forced induction engine. im not saying you wont get more power, im just saying there are better and more efficient ways to do it. what would be awesome is an rc 4 stroke turbo, id like to see how much power you could crank out of that. on of the issues with the whole system is the carbs really aren't designed to have pressurized air. also turbo job would be less reliable than a supercharger or NO2. it would def requite some precision machining balancing and such. i don't want to come of sounding negative with my post i encourage new ideas and developments. have fun with it.

You are right. Turbo's have to be precicely balanced in order for them to work. gap between the turbine blades and turbo housing are close to like 0.001 of an inch, and if the blades are unbalanced by any amount then they will turn into shrapmell(upwards of 100,000 RPM+Impact to the housing......well you do the math). Also you would have to have some sort of innercooler, because nitro engines are all ready sencitive to heat and the hot exsuhst gas's would make the temps go way up. It would be every exspenve to do but it would be cool to do it and make a little BOV and all.

If your really worried about making more power, try porting your motor befor getting superchargers and NO2. I did it and not knowing much about it and my Aftershock is now an even bigger beast
Old 10-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I always thought an rc turbo would be hampered by the way that these engines seal. How much extra compression would you think the shims under the cooling head would handle? I can't imagine you'd be able to push much boost without either those shims or the glow plug being badly damaged. Nonetheless it'd be neat to see, especially if it worked. How cool would an rc with a blowoff valve be?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Beeen View Post
I always thought an rc turbo would be hampered by the way that these engines seal. How much extra compression would you think the shims under the cooling head would handle? I can't imagine you'd be able to push much boost without either those shims or the glow plug being badly damaged. Nonetheless it'd be neat to see, especially if it worked. How cool would an rc with a blowoff valve be?

I just don't think you would really get to make any power out of it.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yeah not much power is avaliable from a 2 stroke that small, its packing quite a bit of power out already. one of those rc plane 4 stroke motors might be a different story, an after market super charger would be a better choice, plus you can tune the boost with different pulley sizes. i wonder what you could do with the gasoline based 2 strokes like on the baja 5b, that'd be some sick power.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

well, my uncle flies planes, so maybe i can borrow an engine. i'll fiddle with the air compressor i'm making at the moment...
Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

theres a thing that mades nitrous injection for rc called silver bullet. i know its off topic, but just wondering does it increase the speed dramatically?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

or should i say....dramaatinen
Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

A turbo charger will not work... It will disrupt the pressure waves required to help the motor scavenge the exhaust and to keep the intake charge from going out the exhaust... A supercharger with an exhaust tuned to use it COULD work but most working in their garage don't have the know how to adjust the port timing and pipe/expansion chamber dimensions to actually do it...

The motors don't have an exhaust valve, they only have an intake valve... You could get more pressure into the block but you're exhaust needs to be correct or you're just wasting that extra pressure and fuel...
Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

so you say move the exhaust port further down the piston, nearer to the bottom of the stroke to get a more sealed chamber?