Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Robotics, Battlebots, Mindstorm, Robotics Experiments >

Robotics, Battlebots, Mindstorm, Robotics Experiments

Robotics, Battlebots, Mindstorm, Robotics Experiments

Old 06-09-2007, 12:20 PM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Robotics, Battlebots, Mindstorm, Robotics Experiments

I was just checking if any of you were into this kind of thing.

I used to watch a bunch of the battebot programs that were on Discovery and TLC and I don't know where they all went, but they were enjoyable to watch.

Just recently I was looking at buying servos, and it seems like Futaba and Hitec have servos that are listing "for robotics only". I was wondering what made them so special, especially since they seems much more expensive than regular digital servos.

I am dating myself here, but back in the day, I took a summer school class in Robotics, and we used Fischertechnics. I saw on a robotics site that they are still being sold, but now the computer interface is PC or Mac, instead of Apple IIe, back in the day.

I was also interested in Muscle Wire, which contracts when electicity is passed through it. I was wondering if any of you have messed with Muscle wire and what do you think of it.

If you have an robotics projects, battlebot or otherwise, I'm sure that we would love to hear about it and see some photos.

My son was given a robotics project book from D&K publishers for his birthday, includes all the parts needed for the projects and sometime soon I am going to have to mess with that with him and see what we can build.

Cmotif <><
Old 06-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont know if you ever watched Robot wars, a uk programme aired on the BBC channel. Basically a bunch of guys constructing RC controlled Bots to duel one another. The ideas and concepts were nothing short of spectacular, then you have the battle which was the highlight of the programme. I enjoyed it immensly.

Not done anything major in robotics, just bits and there during college years whilst studying engineering
Old 06-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am lightly grazing this area between RC vehicles and robotics. since I saw that competition between UCLA and MIT with the autonomous helicopters, I have been studying its applications before I commit to building a autonomous helicopter.

Last edited by GundamWZero; 06-10-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dirt-Racer View Post
I dont know if you ever watched Robot wars, a uk programme aired on the BBC channel. Basically a bunch of guys constructing RC controlled Bots to duel one another. The ideas and concepts were nothing short of spectacular, then you have the battle which was the highlight of the programme. I enjoyed it immensly.

Not done anything major in robotics, just bits and there during college years whilst studying engineering
yes i used to watch it here in australia but we were always a season behind everyone else.
it would be awesome to build one one-day. i know they mostly all used electric wheelchair motors and the bot itself weighed quite a bit (too heavy to pick up)
my favourite was hypno-disc.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

That used to be on TV probally once or twice a week in the US on the Discovery Channel(maybe more, but I wouldn't remember).
Old 06-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

i used to watch that all the time... the house bots were always the best.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

i think one of them was "Sir Killabot" or something
Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

I cant remember what name of the competitors bots that used to take on the house bots but it was so funny.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

wow its all coming bak to me, i used to love that show and want to build one myself... now i have rc
Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am on a robotics team at my High School. Part of the organization called FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology). It is pretty much the complete opposite of battle bots emphasizing team work.
Every year in January they announce a new game and we have 42 days to design and build a robot to compete in that game. The robots weigh about 120 lbs. and are 4-6 ft. tall. They are built from scratch or using parts provided by FIRST. The robots are designed, programmed, driven, and built 100% by students.
Competitions are intense and extremely fun. each round you are on a team with 2 other robots picked at random. so it is 3 vs. 3. The first 10 seconds are completely autonomous.
Last years competition was a mix between soccer and basketball.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1K_y5zSMlCM
This year we had to put innertubes on a rack.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k47cSuT2_UU

Here are some pictures of some of the amazing designs teams have come up with.

THIS IS A 1 lb. gearbox. 2 speeds. I believe it is something like 5 fps/15fps, but I'm not sure. (Not our team)

Our robot.

Any questions?

Last edited by NoahTheBoa; 06-11-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

thats sick, my school has a team as well but not as elaborate.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cmotif View Post
I was just checking if any of you were into this kind of thing.

I used to watch a bunch of the battebot programs that were on Discovery and TLC and I don't know where they all went, but they were enjoyable to watch.

Just recently I was looking at buying servos, and it seems like Futaba and Hitec have servos that are listing "for robotics only". I was wondering what made them so special, especially since they seems much more expensive than regular digital servos.

I am dating myself here, but back in the day, I took a summer school class in Robotics, and we used Fischertechnics. I saw on a robotics site that they are still being sold, but now the computer interface is PC or Mac, instead of Apple IIe, back in the day.

I was also interested in Muscle Wire, which contracts when electicity is passed through it. I was wondering if any of you have messed with Muscle wire and what do you think of it.

If you have an robotics projects, battlebot or otherwise, I'm sure that we would love to hear about it and see some photos.

My son was given a robotics project book from D&K publishers for his birthday, includes all the parts needed for the projects and sometime soon I am going to have to mess with that with him and see what we can build.

Cmotif <><

I had a muscle wire robot called "stiquito" (maybe spelling is off) it was pretty cool. interesting to build but hard to make work efficently.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...isstiquito.htm

this is a website about it... it a fairly old robot, about 6 years.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Ohh man, seing those cycadelic (Vernier) calipers sure does bring toolmaking memories . Its a nice feeling when what you spent hours working on comes together and functions the way its supposed to.

The best is working on prototypes , you learn so much.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:52 AM
Tech Addict

Ohh man, seing those cycadelic (Vernier) calipers sure does bring toolmaking memories .

The best is working on prototypes , you learn so much.
thats exactly why i started in toolmaking.

Its a nice feeling when what you spent hours working on comes together and functions the way its supposed to.
yah especially when you get a new rc kit and build it up to the finish product. the satisfaction is worth every $$$!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

can you still get muscle wire? it would be so cool to have some

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service