Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
GUN CONTROL PARENTING, AND THE VT INCIDENT >

GUN CONTROL PARENTING, AND THE VT INCIDENT

GUN CONTROL PARENTING, AND THE VT INCIDENT

Reply

Old 04-19-2007, 11:39 AM
  #61  
Tech Rookie
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: carencro,la
Posts: 5
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default need to pass a new law

Well, this should be a law that every state should have,

The criminal, murderer an are person, who is convicted of a crime should get the eye for an eye treatment. IF YOU DONT KNOW THE EYE TREATMENT U CAN FIND IT IN THE BIBLE AN SOME 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES. now that said , if a person (ACLU)thinks that (the criminal, murderer an are person) should not get that treatment they are liable for him. meaning the criminal shall live with that person IN HOUSE,THAT PERSON SHALL SUPPORT THE CRIMINAL(MONEY, CLOTHES, FOOD, ETC) if the criminal breakes the law again in any way (same type of crime are new type of crime) you are liable for him an his actions.an both get the eye for an eye treatment.

this law would save me and all TAX PAYERS a lot of money. Then i could afford to buy me a new truggy. AMEN!!!! amen
kancelet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:54 AM
  #62  
Tech Addict
 
pnccj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Coast CT
Posts: 694
Default

Originally Posted by kancelet
Well, this should be a law that every state should have,

The criminal, murderer an are person, who is convicted of a crime should get the eye for an eye treatment. IF YOU DONT KNOW THE EYE TREATMENT U CAN FIND IT IN THE BIBLE AN SOME 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES. now that said , if a person (ACLU)thinks that (the criminal, murderer an are person) should not get that treatment they are liable for him. meaning the criminal shall live with that person IN HOUSE,THAT PERSON SHALL SUPPORT THE CRIMINAL(MONEY, CLOTHES, FOOD, ETC) if the criminal breakes the law again in any way (same type of crime are new type of crime) you are liable for him an his actions.an both get the eye for an eye treatment.

this law would save me and all TAX PAYERS a lot of money. Then i could afford to buy me a new truggy. AMEN!!!! amen
I think that the only reply from the ACLU would be to get Christ out of schools for Cho's reference to Christ and being crucified in the video. I think that if they (ACLU) didn't fight to get him out in the first place we might have heard a diffferent story. Has anyone noticed how downhill things have gotten since he has been taken out of our lives?
pnccj7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:30 PM
  #63  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
SRAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 1,055
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by scoobydo
The reason I said CA is because I live here.
I vote here and can have a say what happens in this State.
I wouldn't be naive to say I want Handguns banned in every state when each one regulates its own laws. Those voters decide.
I think CA will eventually be the first State for this to happen.
Curently their is legislation to do background checks on people buying Ammunition. Unfortunately, this will not happen until 2011.
It wont just be the banning of handguns, several steps need to be taken for things to change.
However, you need to do it one step at a time.
As far as the Drunk Driving thing, its irrelevant.
People HAVE to drive. There is no way around it.
The standard and quality of life depend on it for 99% of Working Americans.
However, I seriously doubt you need a handgun in order to get through your day, unless your job requires it.
We have strict laws for drunk driving. If your caught and don't hurt anyone, it will literally cost you $10K plus when it is all said and done before you can drive again.
I know friends who have literally STOPPED drinking and gone sober after getting a DUI, so I know it works.
I would love to have illegal gun possession charges have a $10K-20K fine attached to them.

Well I live in California also...so my vote would cancel yours. You don't have to drive. It's not a right to drive. You put yourseldf in the predicament of having to drive....that's on you. Move closer to work....ride a bike/bus...carpool...whatever. I don't buy that you HAVE to drive. That soumds like Al Bore(Gore) saying that. Drunk driving...then killing someone in an accident. What do you say to the the relatives of an drunk driving victim? Well..."we have laws that make it illegal....but he drove drunk anyway and lilled your family member"!! Many holes in your examples that just plain don't hold water. I agree with you on an "illegal gun possesion" charge.....I own guns legally like many....and until the laws are changed to make gun ownership illegal......I"ll continue to own and have guns for self defense and sport.Per the news.....Cho owned and bought those legally under hte present Virginia gun laws!! Comparing us and the Brits....please.
SRAD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:16 PM
  #64  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: down by the Riverside
Posts: 110
Default

Someone stated the cliche earlier "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."
Can a gun stop a bomb? A chemical attack? A biological attack?
If a significant percentage of the student body were armed, would that have stopped Cho from crackin' on them? Perhaps, but maybe he would have just placed a bomb, etc. And for every Cho that carries his plan to fruition, there are a dozen more that fantasize about it every day. There are people who would see this as merely a challenge. The plan: go in blastin' till someone takes him out. How many can he kill before he gets shot? Plus this takes the most difficult part off him. He doesn't have to turn the gun on himself. Ever heard of 'suicide by cop?'
The problem is obviously societal. There are a LOT of CRAZY PEOPLE in this country.
Hey I got an idea! Let's put more guns into the hands of sane, level-headed people and take them away from the crazies.
Yeah, that sounds simple enough.
Life is not simple. Over-simplifying this problem will not solve it.
DHopkins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 PM
  #65  
Moderator
iTrader: (4)
 
Cmotif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 2,553
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Someone asked about concealed carry permits. I am getting mine. Again, I live in a gun culture here. I go Ace Hardware in John Day to get my ammo. That is the way things used to be in a lot of places. Everyone around here hunts. This side of the state depends on the hunter tourist dollar. I live in the midst of some of the best elk and deer hunting in the Northwest.

We also have to worry about Cougars when we are out hunting or fishing locally. In fact, more cougars are allowed to be "harvested" here than anywhere else in the state. They have been known to stalk people. If you are not armed in a situation like that you are in trouble. I have a cougar tag. It is fairly common for people to have concealed carry. To have a gun in their truck or tackle box. I didn't even think about having a gun when I lived in a big city, but things are different when you get really rural.

I bought a 9mm in January. I submitted to the background check, I knew that I didn't have anything in my past. In fact I had been fingered printed by the Sheriff in Spokane so that I could serve as a chaplain in a juvenile detention facility. I was cleared very quickly.

I have already put through my 9mm 370 rounds. One needs to go out and practice. You need to put rounds through your gun so that you know what ammo doesn't jam if you are going to depend on it to save your life, and so that you know that you can get your shot off correctly in a number of different situations and positions.

Also things in real life aren't like they are on CSI. If you are going to shoot a handgun for protection, you don't use round tipped full metal jackets, but jacketed hollowpoints. That gives increased knock down power, and keeps the bullet from passing out of the body, making it safer for innocent bystanders. As for self protection shooting, you shoot for center mass until the threat is neutralized. No trick shots.

As with any shooting, you need to know what is beyond what you are shooting at. You are taught in hunter safety and other shooting classes, not to take irresponsible shots.

As far as armed civilians preventing crime, O'Reilly threw out a number of 500,000 crimes prevented last night.

Remember recently the off duty police officer in that Utah Mall who put down a shooting spree. He was there before the police could be called there.

The place that I live is very low crime and I am very thankful for it.

C
Cmotif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:03 PM
  #66  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
R40Victim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: N.W. FL___L.A.___Lower Alabama
Posts: 7,827
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Public Transit just does not work in the US unless it is a major city.
I was just using mass transit as an example for things that work elsewhere, but not here, like excessive gun control. You helped make my point, thanks!
R40Victim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:33 PM
  #67  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
R40Victim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: N.W. FL___L.A.___Lower Alabama
Posts: 7,827
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone noticed how downhill things have gotten since he has been taken out of our lives?
Nope, and the nutter mentioning it only demonstrates how delusional he really was. Good Chirstians make Good Neighbors. The only problem is, there are plenty of Criminals and all around Bad People that call themselves Christian. I'm not knocking the faith, just explaining that it won't help. One of the worst people I've ever met(I worked for him for a while), and he wasn't an axe murderer AFAIK, proclaimed his religeon on a regular basis. I watched him USE it to take advantage of people all the time. I never said anything because I figured if you're dumb enough to buy it, you need to learn a lesson. He used church to network and sell things. I have a really big problem with people like that; he ended up screwing me and a good friend out of thousands of $$$ in paychecks.

There are too many people that abuse the faith to make money, I see it ALL THE TIME. I sell them promotional items at very good prices, then they turn around and have the church pay double! The only reason I found out a few times is because somebody from a couple of those churches called for quotes, and were blown away by my CHEAP prices...I wonder if it ever CLICKED what really happened...

Organized religeon is a JOKE, and gets abused all the time. Your faith should be between you and your God, not some charliton with a nice suit and a collection plate...

Now back on topic.
R40Victim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:11 PM
  #68  
RCTech Member #2
iTrader: (5)
 
TSR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 5,957
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cmotif

As with any shooting, you need to know what is beyond what you are shooting at. You are taught in hunter safety and other shooting classes, not to take irresponsible shots.

C
Exactly.

-Treat each gun as if it were loaded - even if you know it's not!
-Know your target, and what is beyond it.
-Always point the Muzzle in a safe direction.

If you follow those three simple rules, it becomes hard to accidently shoot someone.
TSR6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:27 PM
  #69  
Moderator
iTrader: (4)
 
Cmotif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 2,553
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TSR6
Exactly.

-Treat each gun as if it were loaded - even if you know it's not!
-Know your target, and what is beyond it.
-Always point the Muzzle in a safe direction.

If you follow those three simple rules, it becomes hard to accidently shoot someone.
+1

Muzzle control, Muzzle control, Muzzle control.
I love going and hunting with my son. I was able to get my hunting license here because of my age. He was required to take it because he was so young. I took it with him this year so that I could get my CCW.

Oh yeah, I did score 100 on my hunter safety test. He passed on his first attempt.

C
Cmotif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:48 PM
  #70  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
scoobydo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bay Area San Jose
Posts: 1,505
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cmotif
+1

Muzzle control, Muzzle control, Muzzle control.
I love going and hunting with my son. I was able to get my hunting license here because of my age. He was required to take it because he was so young. I took it with him this year so that I could get my CCW.

Oh yeah, I did score 100 on my hunter safety test. He passed on his first attempt.

C
These are all fine and dandy when hunting or at a shooting range.
However, how can you be so sure of your skills until you only have a split second to react and are faced with a life or death situation?
Wild Game does not shoot back.
Will you be so steady and true when a loaded gun is pointed your way?
Have you ever been in a shootout with somebody determined to kill you?
I don't care how good you say you are, until your faced with it, one never knows.
Even experienced Police Officers get scared.
scoobydo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:14 PM
  #71  
Moderator
iTrader: (4)
 
Cmotif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 2,553
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by scoobydo
These are all fine and dandy when hunting or at a shooting range.
However, how can you be so sure of your skills until you only have a split second to react and are faced with a life or death situation?
Wild Game does not shoot back.
Will you be so steady and true when a loaded gun is pointed your way?
Have you ever been in a shootout with somebody determined to kill you?
I don't care how good you say you are, until your faced with it, one never knows.
Even experienced Police Officers get scared.
Here is the deal, the more you practice, the better off you are. Most of those kinds of confrontations are up close and personal. Sure, I would be scared, but it is life and death. And if someone trying to kill my family, I would be there in the midst of it trying to defend them, or would gladly die trying.

Did you not read, I will be carrying in part for cougars. They leap faster than people. I don't know any hunters around here who aren't worried at least a bit by them.

Obviously one doesn't know what it is like until they have to face it. But like the Boy Scouts, it is always be prepared. I am trying to figure out your argument. If you are going to be scared, then don't be prepared?

I have had to look death in the face a couple of times, where it was touch and go whether or not I would walk away alive. Both times by violent men who had killed people before. One has to keep their wits.

C
Cmotif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:25 PM
  #72  
Tech Elite
 
ProudSavageOwnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Leboland Sydney NSW
Posts: 2,826
Default

Originally Posted by Mi3Racer
How about this one

i was a student in class
some crazy ass mofo walks in and sits down
he couldn't buy a gun because there were laws preventing itNo lifes down.


The Facts:
2001 Gun Deaths (couldn't get any recent years facts)
UK - 73
USA - 11,671

UK Population - Around 60 Million
USA Population - Just below 300 Million

So multiply the gun deaths in the UK by 5 and that is 365 Homicide cases if the population was the same as the USA.

How do you explain this?

sure, if you got a criminal record of which he did he could not buy a gun LEGALLY! , who said he couldnt get it underground?......?

you cant buy crack legally, you can still get ahold of it underground.....

What happens if during one of your protecting sessions, you miss Or the bullet goes astray and kills somebody else outside strolling by?
Very possible.
How are you protecting/providing for your family if your in jail for involuntary manslaughter?
This isn't a poke at you Marcel, just a point in general.
Sombody brought up the point about having a gun when Cho walked in.
Well what if you missed?
What if by missing you piss him off and kills his first 5 victims. You then shoot and kill him.
(Mind you, we do not have a time machine, so you do not know he was going to kill 33 people.)
People will now ask for YOUR head! They will claim that there was no way of knowing he would have killed anyone until you provoked him by shooting at him.
They will claim that you should have let authorities take care of it.
They will put those 5 deaths on YOUR head.
Or what if you missed and killed somebody else?
You then re-aim and kill Cho.
Well guess what.
Victims killed:
Cho=0
You=1
Like I said there is no time machine. What are you going to say? He would have killed 33 people? I saved a massacre?
Hell, I'll bet you even Cho's parents would sue you before you went off to jail.
now wer talkin common sence, if you cant drive a car..do u still drive one if u know ur life is at risk? no
do u do jumps on a dirtbike if u know if u cant land ? no
DO YOU CARRY A GUN AROUND IF U KNOW YOU CANT SHOOT IT??? NO

if i was to carry a gun aruond i know how to shoot properly and aim properly and know my responsibilitys not to hurt anybody or myself by doing something stupid
ProudSavageOwnr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:39 PM
  #73  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
scoobydo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bay Area San Jose
Posts: 1,505
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cmotif
Here is the deal, the more you practice, the better off you are. Most of those kinds of confrontations are up close and personal. Sure, I would be scared, but it is life and death. And if someone trying to kill my family, I would be there in the midst of it trying to defend them, or would gladly die trying.

Did you not read, I will be carrying in part for cougars. They leap faster than people. I don't know any hunters around here who aren't worried at least a bit by them.

Obviously one doesn't know what it is like until they have to face it. But like the Boy Scouts, it is always be prepared. I am trying to figure out your argument. If you are going to be scared, then don't be prepared?

I have had to look death in the face a couple of times, where it was touch and go whether or not I would walk away alive. Both times by violent men who had killed people before. One has to keep their wits.

C
I read it. The Cougar part I can completely understand.
As a matter of fact, living in a rural area or hunting I can understand.
My argument comes from the fact that you think everybody is as experienced as you. As stated earlier, 300 million people.
I would hate to walk into my local Grocery store with Plain Jane carrying a pistol because she is afraid of living in the city.
Thats my argument.
You can't assume everybody is as responsible as you.
You can't assume everybody lives in Rural areas or are in danger of Mountain Lions or Cougars.
That is why Every state should govern with their own laws.
I'm not advocating a Nation Wide Hand Gun Restriction.
I'm advocating Local and State Gun Restrictions.
scoobydo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 PM
  #74  
Moderator
iTrader: (4)
 
Cmotif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 2,553
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by scoobydo
I read it. The Cougar part I can completely understand.
As a matter of fact, living in a rural area or hunting I can understand.
My argument comes from the fact that you think everybody is as experienced as you. As stated earlier, 300 million people.
I would hate to walk into my local Grocery store with Plain Jane carrying a pistol because she is afraid of living in the city.
Thats my argument.
You can't assume everybody is as responsible as you.
You can't assume everybody lives in Rural areas or are in danger of Mountain Lions or Cougars.
That is why Every state should govern with their own laws.
I'm not advocating a Nation Wide Hand Gun Restriction.
I'm advocating Local and State Gun Restrictions.
And?
I am talking about my getting my CCW, not everyone else.
They would need to go through the steps, education, background check to get their own.
I am not asking the question whether or not people should be allowed to get CCW permits.
I live in a world where you can. My grandfather had his. The previous person in my position had his. It is a benefit to me, in my area of the country to get mine.

I am not advocating that you get yours, especially if you don't want one.

C
Cmotif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:29 AM
  #75  
RCTech Member #2
iTrader: (5)
 
TSR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 5,957
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by scoobydo
These are all fine and dandy when hunting or at a shooting range.
However, how can you be so sure of your skills until you only have a split second to react and are faced with a life or death situation?
Wild Game does not shoot back.
Will you be so steady and true when a loaded gun is pointed your way?
Have you ever been in a shootout with somebody determined to kill you?
I don't care how good you say you are, until your faced with it, one never knows.
Even experienced Police Officers get scared.
Have you ever been hunting??

I don't care that animals don't shoot back. It's not that at all, but with most big game, even the most seasoned hunters get "buck fever" when they see and plan on shooting a big buck. Knees start knockin, and the adrenaline starts rushing.

If you've practiced a lot on the range, it WILL help you regardless of the situation. Then when life or death situations arise, you will be better prepared. You might not be an expert, but you will still be prepared.
TSR6 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service