Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
GUN CONTROL PARENTING, AND THE VT INCIDENT >

GUN CONTROL PARENTING, AND THE VT INCIDENT

GUN CONTROL PARENTING, AND THE VT INCIDENT

Old 04-18-2007, 04:05 PM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I lived in the UK and was assaulted by a Skinhead who smuggles guns. He had already killed a guy before.

There is an incredible amount of violence in the UK. Lots of slashing and disfiguring knife crimes.

I figure that I would rather be shot at a distance where I would probably survive, rather than have my face slashed and carry those scars for the rest of my life. Not that I would choose either.

I live in rural Oregon. Everyone has guns. Guns put food on our tables. Guns protect the local livestock. Guns also lower crimes, because no one wants to break into a house where the owner can defend it.

This guy who went on a rampage had issues that should have been warning flags.

C
Old 04-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

OK I am caught in the middle.

I believe its everyone's right to protect there family in and on their property.
I don't think people should be out and about armed for the what if either.

Here is were I think Law makers can do something at the Federal level...cause State level is just rediculous.
No guns for fellons, illegal immigrants, forean nationals, and any other dangerous persons. Meaning that every gun purchased in the this country goes through a back ground check...but then people would complain about privacy issues. I say tough you want to protect your property and your family, then law inforcement need to know that you have it......

If you break in my house and I am home you will be shot........

-Shookie <><
Old 04-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie

...............and then sued by the ACLU.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mi3Racer
You guys are crazy, you are saying fight fire with fire.

No gun control - all 30 people in the class have guns, the nutter in the class still has one and can use it.
Strict Gun control - No one in the class has a gun, even the nutter.

Having strict gun control in 1 state is useless, when people can easily go to most other states and buy 1, then smuggle it into that state.

In Europe the majority of people haven't seen a proper gun (not air rifle, BB gun etc) in real life in the hands of the public. The only people they see with guns are the police. This is because of proper gun control laws, not half assed ones

If it was nuclear weapons and a few countries had them, but a few didn't. Would you rather all the countries that didn't have them, build them, or would you rather everyone just get rid of them?

SO BY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING Mi3RACER, THERE ARE NO GUN CRIMES BY REGULAR CIVILIANS IN EUROPE ? NO WHERE IN EUROPE BECAUSE ONLY THE POLICE HAVE GUNS & BECAUSE OF "STRICT" GUN LAWS ? I HAVE TO SAY I FIND THAT HARD TO BELIEVE. AND IT COULD BE TRUE THAT A GREAT DEAL OF EUROPEAN PEOPLE HAVE NEVER SEEN A "PROPER" GUN BUT YOU ALSO HAVE TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THERE ARE A LOT OF RURAL PLACES WHERE THE HUSTLE AND BUSTLE OF THE REST OF THE WORLD NEVER MAKES IT IN TO THEIR LIFESTYLE. LIKE SAYING THEY NEVER SEEN A "REAL" CAR !!

AND IF THERE ARE 30 STUDENTS IN A CLASSROOM, AND 1 OF THEM IS A "NUTTER" AS YOU SAY, AND HE OR SHE DECIDES TO GET UP AND START POPPING OFF ROUNDS, WHAT DO YOU THINK THE OTHER 29 THAT ARE ARMED ARE GOING TO DO ?? STAND THERE AND BE SHOT OR TAKE THAT "NUTTER" OUT.

I'VE NEVER HEARD OF A NEW YORK POLICE STATION GETTING ATTACKED BY A LONE "CRAZED" GUNMAN. WHY IS THAT ? BECAUSE THEY WOULDN'T MAKE IT PAST THE FRONT ENTRANCE WITHOUT BEING TAKEN OUT !!

EVEN "CRAZY" PEOPLE KNOW THEIR LIMITS. MAKES ME WONDER IF THE PRESS GETS "CRAZY" MIXED UP WITH EVIL !!

I KNOW THIS IS PROBABLY A BAD REFERENCE OR COMPARISON BUT IT'S LIKE WHAT JACK NICHOLSON SAID IN "ANGER MANAGEMENT" . THERE ARE TO TYPES OF ANGER, INNER ANGER AND OUTER ANGER. THERE IS THE GUY SCREAMING AT THE STORE CLERK FOR NOT GIVING HIM THE RIGHT CHANGE BACK-- OUTER ANGER. THEN THERE IS THE STORE CLERK WHO COMES IN ONE DAY AND MOWS DOWN THE WHOLE STORE--INNER ANGER. EVERYONE HAS A BREAKING POINT BUT FOR THE MOST PART MOST OF US CAN CONTROL SUCH RAGE AND NOT LET IT GET TO THE POINT OTHERS HAVE DECIDED TO LET IT GO TO.

THAT IS WHY R/C IS SO FUN FOR ME. STRESS RELIEVER, ALL ABOUT HAVING A GOOD TIME.

EVEN THAT ENGLISH FEMALE COUNSELOR STATED THAT HE WASN'T AS MUCH "TROUBLED" MENTALLY AS HE WAS JUST PLAIN MEAN AS QUOTE "MEAN AS CRAP" HER WORDS ON THE NEWS TONIGHT !!

THEN WE FIND OUT THAT HE PLANNED THIS ALL ALONG WITH PHOTOS, LETTERS, THREATS, VIDEO, ETC. THAT ISN'T A CRAZY PERSON , THAT IS AN EVIL BEING EXACTING HIS REVENGE ON THOSE WHO, TO HIS BELIEF, MADE HIM THAT WAY.

THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS WHOLE ORDEAL IS THE FACT HE OFFED HIMSELF. CAUSE IF HE HADN'T DONE THAT, WE AMERICANS WOULD BE PAYING HIS RENT FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE IN TAX DOLLARS. SOME JACKASS PSYCHOLIGIST WOULD FIND HIM MENTALLY INCOMPETENT TO STAND TRIAL AND WE WOULD THROW HIM IN A INSTITUTION SOMEWHERE AND TAKE CARE OF THIS POOR LOST SOUL, LOL LOL, YEAH RIGHT !!

ANYONE LIKE THIS GUY, THEY JUST NEED TO GO STRAIT TO SENTENCING OR BETTER YET, A FIRING SQUAD WITH HIS FORMER PEERS AS HIS EXECUTIONERS. AND YES, THAT IS AN EYE FOR AN EYE, FIRE FIGHTING FIRE, BUT A DA*N FINE EXAMPLE OF WHAT HAPPENS TO EVIL A**HOLES THAT WANT TO PULL THIS STUNT AGAIN.

MARCEL
Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
OK I am caught in the middle.

I believe its everyone's right to protect there family in and on their property.
I don't think people should be out and about armed for the what if either.

Here is were I think Law makers can do something at the Federal level...cause State level is just rediculous.
No guns for fellons, illegal immigrants, forean nationals, and any other dangerous persons. Meaning that every gun purchased in the this country goes through a back ground check...but then people would complain about privacy issues. I say tough you want to protect your property and your family, then law inforcement need to know that you have it......

-Shookie <><
WELL MR. SHOOKIE HERE IS HOW IT STANDS THE LAST TIME I CHECKED. WHEN YOU GO TO GET YOUR PERMIT, NO ONE THAT HAS BEEN CONVICTED OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE OR A FELON CAN OBTAIN A HANDGUN CARRY PERMIT. I KNOW THAT AS A FACT.

NOW ON THE CASE OF ILLEGALS & FOREIGN NATIONALIST , I AM NOT SURE BUT I THINK YOU HAVE TO BE A LEGAL U.S. CITIZEN. AND THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ARE THE ONES THAT DECIDE WHO IS "DANGEROUS" AND WHO IS NOT. THAT ONE IS A HARD ONE TO JUDGE. IT'S EASY FOR EVERYONE TO SAY THAT CHO SCARED THEM OR WORRIED THEM NOW, BUT NO ONE DONE MORE THAN COMPLAIN ABOUT HIM WHEN ALL THIS EVIL STUFF HE WAS DOING WAS GOING ON. I BLAME CAMPUS OFFICIALS FOR THAT ONE. FROM WHAT I HAVE LEARNED ABOUT HIM, HE WAS UP TO NO GOOD FROM THE FIRST DAY OF ORIENTATION AT VT. KEPT TO HIMSELF QUITE A BIT, MADE IT VERY CLEAR HE DIDN'T LIKE WOMEN, THE RICH, AND SEVERAL DIFFERENT TYPES OF RELIGION. WHILE ALL THAT CAN BE LOOKED AT AS TALK AND NOTHING MORE , HIS ATTITUDE ABOUT THESE PARTICULAR THINGS SHOULD HAVE BEEN WATCHED MORE CLOSELY. YOU CAN'T JUST IGNORE IT AND THINK THAT IT WILL GO AWAY WHEN SOMEONE IS THAT DEAD SET FOR OR AGAINST SOMETHING. AND SHOWS IT DAILY.

AND THEN I HEAR LAST NIGHT ON NIGHTLINE THE ENGLISH DOCTOR SPEAKING ABOUT TEEN DEPRESSION. HOW IT'S SO REAL AND SO DAMAGING TO THESE YOUNG PEOPLE. WHERE DOES THIS DEEP DEPRESSION COME FROM ? PRESSURE TO PERFORM ? DEPRESSION FROM NOT BEING PRETTY ENOUGH FOR A MAN OR WOMAN ? SEXUAL FRUSTRATION ? STRESS FROM THEIR JOB, SCHOOL STUDIES, NOT BEING SMART ENOUGH ?? WHERE ???

I AM NOT THAT MUCH OLDER THAN THE GUNMAN OR THE STUDENTS HE SHOT. AND I NEVER REMEMBER STRESS OR PRESSURE THAT BAD !! THE MOST STRESS I WAS UNDER WAS DOING MY CHORES SO I COULD DO WHAT I WANTED TOO AFTER THAT. AND THIS TALK ABOUT TIMES BEING DIFFERENT FROM THE LAST GENERATION ?!?!? HOW SO FOR A KID ?? WAR, FUEL PRICES, MORTAGE RATES, THE STOCK MARKET, THE NATIONAL DEBT, UNEMPLOYMENT ? THAT WAS THERE WHEN I WAS A KID. THE BIGGEST INFLUENCE ON A CHILD IS THEIR PARENTS, OR LACK OF. I CAN SEE DEPRESSION ABOUT DIVORCE, A PARENT DYING, OR A PARENT FIGHTING FOR OUR COUNTRY. BUT THAT IS ABOUT IT. ALL THAT OTHER CRAP SHOULD BE RATIONED OUT TO A KID DEPENDING ON THEIR AGE.

OR ELSE YOU HAVE A CHO WHO IS MAD AT THE WORLD AND TAKES IT OUT ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS.

MARCEL
Old 04-18-2007, 07:10 PM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Let it go to court. Castle Doctrine. You are allowed to defend yourself and your family in your house.

Besides, it is better to be decided on by 12 than carried by 6.

C
Old 04-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

GOTTA LOVE OUR GOVERNMENT

THE CRIMINAL HAS MORE RIGHTS THAN YOU DO.

BUT I STAND WITH SHOOKIE ON THIS.

YOU COME INTO MY HOME UNLAWFULLY , IT'S YOUR AZZ, BOTTOM LINE

WHEN I MARRIED I SWORE BEFORE GOD TO PROTECT MY WIFE AND MY FAMILY AND THAT IS WHAT I AM GONNA DO HOWEVER I HAVE TO.

AND THOSE THAT ARE WORRIED MORE ABOUT A LAWSUIT THAN THE SAFETY OF THEIR WIFE AND KIDS ARE SPINELESS AND NEED TO GROW A SET. ( NOT AIMING THAT AT YOU JIML, I KNOW YOU WERE MAKING A VALID POINT AND I AGREE THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS IN MOST CASES )

THIS COUNTRY HAS REMAINED FREE BECAUSE BRAVERY AND GUNS WERE USED TO FIGHT FOR WHAT WE BELIEVE IN. BRAVERY BEING THE BIGGER WEAPON. NOT BECAUSE WE HAVE GREAT TEA, CHOCOLATE, BUILD TINY CARS, AND KEEP OUR CITIZENS LIKE MUSHROOMS.... IN THE DARK !!!

MARCEL
Old 04-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cmotif
Let it go to court. Castle Doctrine. You are allowed to defend yourself and your family in your house.

Besides, it is better to be decided on by 12 than carried by 6.

C
I NEVER HEARD OF THAT DOCTRINE BUT I LOVE THE PHRASE THAT FOLLOWS IT, LOL LOL

I AM WITH YOU ON THAT ALL THE WAY C !!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:35 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Marcel,

Can you do us all a favor and press the "Caps Lock" button.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This will be my only post on this....

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people."
True statement, I put a person and a gun in the separate rooms, gun does not kill people.

I put gun in same room and the person does not touch the gun it will not kill kill anyone. The person picks up the gun then it can kill someone.

Point is keep gun and people apart, gun does not kill....

And to the idiot that used Washington, DC as an example did not check into this at all. I live in Northern Virginia, 18 miles from DC and some one did a study and traced the guns to where they came from. They were able to determine that over 70% of the guns came from Virginia and is is the second easiest state to to buy a gun behind Georgia...
Old 04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TSR6
Hey Marcel,

Can you do us all a favor and press the "Caps Lock" button.

done !!

sorry , but i am usually flipping between several different boards including e bay and my listings are in all caps. it got easier to just leave it in all caps.

I WASN'T SCREAMING AT ANYONE !! LOL LOL !!

marcel
Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

WRONG!!! Many states have a Castle Doctrine....and if they don't you still have the right to protect yourself if you feel you will be harmed. Some states you can defend property...so like Shookie said and I've said this before....break into my house where you don't belong.....well....take it from there!! Eve if you banned guns like the Brits and Aussies....it's a fact that crime doesn't go down...and usually it goes up. Aussies spent millions buying back and banning guns....ask them what it got them.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have yet to read a story where an armed civilian stopped an armed assailant.
I'm sure they exist, but that doesn't prove that carrying weapons work?
Like they stated earlier, cops spend thousands of hours training and learning to use weapons and they get it wrong from time to time.
I would hate to have a civilian carrying a weapon who just went to the local gun range a few times!
Get over it, gun control is needed!
I'm not saying you don't have the right to own one, but stricter measures are needed.
Why would you be against that????
If you were taught to respect weapons and handle them with care, why would stricter laws affect you?
A few more steps are added, but if your responsible like you say you are, you will still get your firearm.
I know of NO situation where somebody needs a weapon immedietly and cannot wait for a screening or period of time before getting them?
People keep saying that gun control doesn't work. Criminals will still get weaopons.
If stricter gun control would have prevented just 1 (ONE) person from getting a hand gun that did not warrant one,
Guess what, in my book it worked.
What if that ONE person was the shooter at Virgina Tech?
I would gladly trade your frustration in getting a handgun for 33 lives anyday.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Tech Champion

WRONG!!! Many states have a Castle Doctrine....and if they don't you still have the right to protect yourself if you feel you will be harmed. Some states you can defend property...so like Shookie said and I've said this before....break into my house where you don't belong.....well....take it from there!! Eve if you banned guns like the Brits and Aussies....it's a fact that crime doesn't go down...and usually it goes up. Aussies spent millions buying back and banning guns....ask them what it got them.
We here in Florda do...now. It wasn't too long ago that such a law was passed...basically, if you break into someones house, it's your Azz. I don't have any guns, I collect swords. Granted, they are merely decrative, and only 3 of them could withstand being "Used". But I promiss you, an intruder won't survive, I WILL protect myself and my wife...

I still don't believe any level of gun control could've stopped this. The serial #s were filed off; he would've had them if they were legal or not. Making guns illegal won't make them go away, it'll just disarm the law abiding citizens.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

I'm not saying you don't have the right to own one, but stricter measures are needed.
And what exactly will that do, give the nutter more time to plan his attack? Are you seeing all the info comming out about this guy? Even with strictor laws, he'll just take, what, another few weeks to carry out his mission? C'mon man, it's pretty well established that gun laws aren't effective as is. Why would you want to set it up for a criminal, and or Nutter to know it's less likely you'll be able to defend yourself?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service