How to quit smoking ???

Old 11-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Default How to quit smoking ???

Dammittt !!! I can't stop .....
Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cold turkey is really tough, but if you're hard headed like me...you just do it. Best thing to do is keep yourself busy, and don't eat/munch to replace the hand fixation[sp?] Silly puddy, video games, and RC racing can be a big help to keep you occupied while trying NOT to smoke...good luck, and once you do, you'll thank yourself every day, and feel 100% better.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You can also go to your doctor and get a prescription for WELLBUTRIN. WELLBUTRIN is a anti-depression medicine, but is also used to help people stop smoking.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I was finally able to do it with the patch. What I did since I'm cheap is buy the whole cycle of patches at one time. I didn't smoke because I didn't want to waste all that money. My dad had decent success from the shot as well but it did take 2 trys.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

if you go cold turkey try having coffee stirring straws in your mouth, just to help the physical part.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

I dream of cigarettes every single day....
Old 11-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

i quitted smoking 1.5 years ago, after smoking 20 years of my life away. i did it by using the patch, finally kicked the habbit after almost 2 months of applying the patch daily. one thing which helped was the price of a pack of cigarettes, they're getting expensive gradually. 20 sticks a day costs about US$6.50, so a month's supply sets me back about US$195. so wtf, i could afford to buy a new xray tourer every 2 months' if i kicked the habbit!!! so there it goes, the bad habit.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I prayed for two years for Christ to take the desire from me.
I smoked 1.5packs a day for 14 years....I was so ready to quit...
The Lord allowed me a go through a Bone Marrow Transplant which I was stuck in the hospital for three weeks.
By being in the hospital for that time and suffering from cancer. I figure that if there is something to take your mind off of it you will succeed more ofter.
They also offer a new pill that makes it like instant vomiting if you smoke....
Hope those are viable choices for me...I go with the Prayer first than any other means available..It take 20years for you to have the same risk of a non smoker for lung cancer.

-Shookie <><
Old 11-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Straight up...COLD TURKEY...Its the only way. Here's the DEAL, the physical addiction is for a day, this is the truth. The mental addiction is (as vtl1180ny said) for life. For your future health you do need to quit. I have quit smoking for a few times, I think 3 times total, First time I quit for about 2 years, then smoked for about 3 years, quit for about 10 years, then smoked for about 3 more years, quit smoking in 97 and will never smoke again. What ever you do don't use the nicotine gum or patches (I know that it works for a few but the odds are it will NOT WORK) One reason is it's hella expensive, Second reason is it keeps you dependent on what your addicted to, Not a real good idea. It's all a mind game, after the first day your no longer physically addicted (You might "think" you are) You just need to approach it as really who's in control. Good luck and remember it's not easy so don't sweat a few slip ups. My Wife is a Nurse and after seeing some of the "stuff" at her work all I can say is I'll never smoke again!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

kinda new to this forum, clicked on the chat lounge just to see what is in here and bang this thread is here.

I started smoking when i was 12, that was 23 years ago. and damnit despite the cost and the harm it causes i still like these things.. Recently i make the decision that it is time to quit, i havent done it yet as i have been trying some behaviour modification stuff to knock the consumption down first. normally i smoke a pack a day but with the stress of recent news that had nearly doubled.

With the behaviour mod stuff (smoking outside ,only buying one pack at a time and only getting to the store for more by walking etc) i have knocked it back to 1 pack a day. my thinking is that the more i cut down the easier it will become to go cold turkey.. i had quit twice before (once for a few weeks and the other for almost a year, each time failed during stressful times).

My main motivation this time around is money,, cigs take so much and i have so little. Im glad this thread is here. it allows me something that could help alot.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:12 AM
Tech Champion

Sometimes I pray to God for his help to quit smoking. Once I quit smoking for 3 months, but that's it....... I start smoking again as soon as I feel depress.
Dammm..... I wish I have the guts and willingness to quit smoking.

Btw, during three months of healthy life, the 1st month is the hardest, after that it become easier. I can breath easier and my face look cute.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by looper
kinda new to this forum, clicked on the chat lounge just to see what is in here and bang this thread is here.

I started smoking when i was 12, that was 23 years ago. and damnit despite the cost and the harm it causes i still like these things.. Recently i make the decision that it is time to quit, i havent done it yet as i have been trying some behaviour modification stuff to knock the consumption down first. normally i smoke a pack a day but with the stress of recent news that had nearly doubled.

With the behaviour mod stuff (smoking outside ,only buying one pack at a time and only getting to the store for more by walking etc) i have knocked it back to 1 pack a day. my thinking is that the more i cut down the easier it will become to go cold turkey.. i had quit twice before (once for a few weeks and the other for almost a year, each time failed during stressful times).

My main motivation this time around is money,, cigs take so much and i have so little. Im glad this thread is here. it allows me something that could help alot.
I'm in the same boat just like you are......

Really great to read success stories.... I salute them. For smokers... don't give up..... maybe we can share some stories to motivate us even more to quit.

Cheers...

Okay guys, I would to go first. Today is Fridady 5.30pm, 2nd of November 2006. I stop smoking now and lets see how long this will last. Anybody would follow me now ???
Old 11-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Alright, here it is. If praying is your thing, fine. I doubt that it'll help in the slightest. I quit, after ten years, with will and patches. The most important part being will. If you don't take it seriously, it won't work. Any method will work if you mean to do it. Any bit of weakness or doubt will f*ck it up for you. I promise. I quit in May of this year, and don't have the slightest need to smoke. I don't WANT to smoke. You have to think the same way.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phatkat
Alright, here it is. If praying is your thing, fine. I doubt that it'll help in the slightest. I quit, after ten years, with will and patches. The most important part being will. If you don't take it seriously, it won't work. Any method will work if you mean to do it. Any bit of weakness or doubt will f*ck it up for you. I promise. I quit in May of this year, and don't have the slightest need to smoke. I don't WANT to smoke. You have to think the same way.
Glad to hear that you quit, You are right about the slightest bit of MENTAL weakness, It's strange how the mind will rationalize "things". If your quiting just for the money part of it...as in I'm tired of spending $4 a pack you might have a hard time of it. You should want to quit for all the reasons, Money, Health, and last but not least...Their are a lot more "chicks" that Don't smoke than do...they don't like that soggy ashtray smell thing...
Old 11-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Man, with all this talk of smoking, I think I am going to go out and have 1. I will quit 1 of these days. When I am ready.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service