Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
How to quit smoking ??? >

How to quit smoking ???

How to quit smoking ???

Old 11-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by asw7576
.......Okay guys, I would to go first. Today is Friday 5.30pm, 2nd of November 2006. I stop smoking now and lets see how long this will last. Anybody would follow me now ???
It's midnight now ( 7 hours of no smoking ) ......... I'm still strong Gwad Damm..... the taste of it
Old 11-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
It's midnight now ( 7 hours of no smoking ) ......... I'm still strong Gwad Damm..... the taste of it
The "Hot Ticket"... tomorrow morning right after you get up freight train a whole pack...One right after another, don't stop until you get sick. You will not crave the taste after that... ...I saw a Drill Sergent to this to a friend of mine and He never smoked after that, Just being around cigarette smoke would turn him green...
Old 11-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey PhatKat,

Although you might not agree with my Prayerful request to a GOD who hold the whole universe in the palm of HIS hand, It worked and like I said. I no longer have the desire to smoke. Was it GOD was it me...I don't think my will is that strong so I feel Prayer and heck even fasting helped me.

Now about the part about being ready to quit is crucial.
If you don;t have your mind wrapped around it, you will make excuses..like FAT WOMEN who complain they are FAT cause they are stressed out...COP OUT...Its a fork issue...PUT DOWN THE FORK...The FAT comes right off...

Same thing goes for smoking...You have to quit making excues....
You want stress....I am fighting Cancer and have the worst medical care in the intire state....That woudl be stressfull enough to make me want to smoke...heck thought about it once or twice...What stops me is the fact that all that smoking will do is make things worse..and heck make me smell like a trash can...QUIT MAKING EXCUSES....YOUR EITHER A SMOKER OR A NON SMOKER>>>and if you live in Califonia the new $2.15 per pack tax that is goign to pass next week shoudl really modivate you quit...Man $6+ a pack..OUCH.

-Shookie <><
PRAYER WORKS, You just have to have faith...
Old 11-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xxxkat
The "Hot Ticket"... tomorrow morning right after you get up freight train a whole pack...One right after another, don't stop until you get sick. You will not crave the taste after that... ...I saw a Drill Sergent to this to a friend of mine and He never smoked after that, Just being around cigarette smoke would turn him green...
This has worked more times than people know...
My grampa caught my DAD smoking and made him smoke an entire carton at one sitting...Lets just say about 6 packs in my dad is a forver non smoker...
-Shookie <><
Old 11-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Hey PhatKat,

Although you might not agree with my Prayerful request to a GOD who hold the whole universe in the palm of HIS hand, It worked and like I said. I no longer have the desire to smoke. Was it GOD was it me...I don't think my will is that strong so I feel Prayer and heck even fasting helped me.

Now about the part about being ready to quit is crucial.
If you don;t have your mind wrapped around it, you will make excuses..like FAT WOMEN who complain they are FAT cause they are stressed out...COP OUT...Its a fork issue...PUT DOWN THE FORK...The FAT comes right off...

Same thing goes for smoking...You have to quit making excues....
You want stress....I am fighting Cancer and have the worst medical care in the intire state....That woudl be stressfull enough to make me want to smoke...heck thought about it once or twice...What stops me is the fact that all that smoking will do is make things worse..and heck make me smell like a trash can...QUIT MAKING EXCUSES....YOUR EITHER A SMOKER OR A NON SMOKER>>>and if you live in Califonia the new $2.15 per pack tax that is goign to pass next week shoudl really modivate you quit...Man $6+ a pack..OUCH.

-Shookie <><
Thanks dude...... I almost go downstair and get smoking just now ...... interestingly I read this thread again before I go to bed. Dammm ....... the desire to smoke .... uuhhmmhh.... uhhmmhh... so nice....

Anyway " QUIT MAKING EXCUSES....YOUR EITHER A SMOKER OR A NON SMOKER>>> " ..... ( take a deep breath ..... )
Old 11-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

I can seriously associate... I'm on steroids and various inhalers so I can breathe... Screwed up part is I'm not on them because of smoking, guys I worked with are on the same drugs and many of them never smoked...

My wife and I were arguing tonight and I had to take all my strength not to run to the store and buy a pack.... I so wanted one I could taste it....

the first 2 weeks were tough for me... Then month 3 was always been my breaking point... The prior times I'd quit, I'd only ever lasted 3 months....
Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hey PhatKat,

If it worked for you, that's commendable. I applaud you.

It worked for you, I know, but I can guarantee it won't work for everyone.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I was going to be funny (a wise guy) at first, but after reading the posts left by some of you guys, wow. I wish you guys the best of luck and quitting your addictions. I never have been a smoking person, so I don't know how bad some of you have it. I once again wish all of you guys that smoke the will to kick the habit. Give up the cancer sticks for yourself and loved ones, peace.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
I was going to be funny (a wise guy) at first, but after reading the posts left by some of you guys, wow. I wish you guys the best of luck and quitting your addictions. I never have been a smoking person, so I don't know how bad some of you have it. I once again wish all of you guys that smoke the will to kick the habit. Give up the cancer sticks for yourself and loved ones, peace.
Never being a Heroin addict I can't really compare but they say quitting smoking is worse than quitting Heroin....

I did it cold turkey once and I thought I was going to die....

I now have a gum addictiion.... sugar free and the occasional nicorette still...
Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

When my grandma went into the hospital she was not allowed to smoke. She didnt use gum, she did it cold turkey. Since she was not feeling good I guess the craving didnt bother her. Now she hasent smoked for about 3 years. BTW she has been a life time smoker.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Tech Champion

I smoke again .......
Old 11-08-2006, 12:09 AM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

having mom critically ill in hospital with lung cancer and seeing her laboring for breath (when not sedated with morphine) and all the pains of chemo and that sort really scare me up but at times cigarette seems to be the best companion thru the nites
Old 11-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

asw7576 don't sweat it you will have relapses. If you quit for just 24 hours you can quit forever, I know it's hard, I have quit 3 or 4 times myself ( ) but once you have made it past the 24 hour mark it's all mind games after that. Your mind will try to give you reasons on why you need a smoke, don't give into them. If you have smoked for very long then you know it's a habit that controls your life, yes controls your life. For me I was tired of going outside in the freezing cold to have a smoke, I did not want to sit through a movie because I wanted a smoke. This was just one of the reasons on why I wanted to quit. Another reason, a one pack a day smoker will in the course of a year spend $2000 on "his habit". That pays for a lot of RC stuff. Good luck and keep trying...
Old 11-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xxxkat
asw7576 don't sweat it you will have relapses. If you quit for just 24 hours you can quit forever, I know it's hard, I have quit 3 or 4 times myself ( ) but once you have made it past the 24 hour mark it's all mind games after that. Your mind will try to give you reasons on why you need a smoke, don't give into them. If you have smoked for very long then you know it's a habit that controls your life, yes controls your life. For me I was tired of going outside in the freezing cold to have a smoke, I did not want to sit through a movie because I wanted a smoke. This was just one of the reasons on why I wanted to quit. Another reason, a one pack a day smoker will in the course of a year spend $2000 on "his habit". That pays for a lot of RC stuff. Good luck and keep trying...
okey.... I give cold turkey another chance again......

Dammm.......... I wonder if Phillip Morris's CEO does smoking as well
Old 11-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Here's my $.02:

I've never smoked a day in my life so some may discount that but I am finishing up college and one of the courses in my major is on Behavior Modification. I have facilitated several 'Quitting Smoking/Tobacco Use' classes so I do have some experience in this. Setting an 'outcome goal' of doing something specific usually doesn't work because once it's achieved then what? You can more easily let the mental guard down and go back to what you've tried to stop. That especially applies to diet/exersice but also to this topic. A 'Behavior Change goal' is a long-term solution but takes, as previously stated, mental toughness. It also takes social support which is just as paramount if not more so!

Here's some other ideas. Try not to be around people that smoke. If it's habit to go outside at work and smoke then force yourself to stay inside and do something else or go outside away from the smokers, Febreeze your clothes/car/house to get the smell out, and get rid of what you have. Write yourself some notes to leave around the house that say "NO SMOKING". You can do a 'Behavior Contract' with yourself. Also you need to be honest with yourself. It took you a while to learn to smoke and you smoked for a while so it'll take some time to quit. STICK TO YOUR DECISION TO QUIT! You can, and will do it.

For some social support try posting on this thread for support every time you feel weak. I'll check this thread every day and answer PMs if needed. I'll help out however I can. Good luck to you all!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service