Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Our Prayers for the Shuttle >

Our Prayers for the Shuttle

Our Prayers for the Shuttle

Old 02-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Our Prayers for the Shuttle

Nothing to do with the R/C World but...................

Last edited by FASTERTHENU; 02-01-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:07 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I moved this to the Chat Loungue, where anything non-rc goes.

http://www.nasa.gov along with cnn.com has some of the latest news

Just a quick fact on the shuttle: Columbia is the oldest of NASA's shuttle fleet, first launched in 1981. It was on its 28th mission.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:24 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Something broke off of the shuttle during the launch; I think they discerned that it came from the external fuel tank and hit the shuttle. From what I understand, they assumed it was something non-critical.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

They might look again at the break during the launch which hit the left wing.

They have gone to a better place.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

I never thought I would have to see this again.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Times like this give us time to reflect on the fragility of the human species, the times when we must bless the brave souls that risk their existance for the betterment of mankind. My blessings go out to the Children, Wives and Husbands of those souls lost in the conquest of creating a better world in which we live. Their loss is no less significant than the child who is starving, or dying of aids in africa, the inocent person killed in a rogue bombing, or the individual who is criticized to the point of depression and self inflicted death for being different. Even though their demise is no less significant, it is often times trivilized. It is time to evaluate what is a real priority and the consequences of our personal actions and ask ourselves if we are contributing to society or advancing its demise. May the survivors know that have gone before us and will go after us that they are remembered equally.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Post Columbia

Regrets and condolences to all from Canada. Unfotunately living on the edge of technology and venturing forward can be costly. But where would we be if no one pushed the envelope.

Terry.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by tekrsq
I never thought I would have to see this again.
It seems that NASA has bad luck on a 20 year average. I think 290 people have launched to space, worldwide, (old document) and 17 have died in the USA. (old info)

I would go to space in .0000000000001 of a second. It is worth the possibility of dying. <sp>

Last edited by performula; 02-05-2003 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

From what I understand, the space program has invented... Velcro, Kevlar, teflon, many plastics, tv dinners (joke) and a bunch of other things.

Mainly everything on an RC car.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

I dont get it, NASA has billions of dollars, yet they use 20+ year old shuttles?

How come those people that died in car accidents today didnt get recognized?

Its a horrific tragedy, but its time to move on.....Get it out of the media, they are saying it was a terrorist attack.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:30 AM
Tech Master

Each shuttle was designed to accomplish 100 flight missions, 20 year old or not. The first explosion had nothing to do with the shuttle, but what was supposed to get the shuttle to space.

The solid rocket booster had a leak, cooked into the fuel tank, and there was an explosion.

This was the Challenger accident.

Your information is wrong, terrorist attack? There is no possible way unless the shuttle was tampered with BEFORE liftoff.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:35 AM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by MaverickRacing
I dont get it, NASA has billions of dollars, yet they use 20+ year old shuttles?

Probably because it costs millions just for a single shuttle launch.

NASA's Assumed Baseline Space Shuttle Launch Costs Through 2020 Applicable to the NASA Space Transportation Architecture Study"

Annual budget of $2.4 billion remains flat
Nominal rate of 8 flights per year for the period 2004 - 2020
$300 million per launch for the first 8 flights in any given year
$90 million per launch for flights 9 and 10 in any given year
Minimum safe launch rate is 5 flights per year
Maximum shuttle launch capacity is 10 flight per year

They had new shuttles in the design stages, and a couple rocket engines in the testing and prototype stages, but some of those have been cut due to budget issues. They just can't afford new shuttles with the current budget.

How come those people that died in car accidents today didnt get recognized?

Its a horrific tragedy, but its time to move on.....Get it out of the media, they are saying it was a terrorist attack.
The media never said it was a terrorist who did this. They DID respond to the people who tried saying it was terrorism, since they had Ilan Ramon, a Colonel in the Israel air Force on the flight.

..and on the car crashes. I hate to be so blunt, but there are so many accidents every single day, that nobody cares about a car crash in a different time zone. We hear abotu the big crashes locally, and occasionally I hear about some 40+ car pile-up in California, but otherwise, It's NOT news. The Columbia break-up IS news.

-Troy

Last edited by TSR6; 02-06-2003 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:35 AM
R/C Tech Founder

The media has been emphatic from the beginning that there was no way this was a terrorist attack.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

If a shuttle was a main form of transportation, you'd never hear about the accident, but it's not.

That surface to air missile stuff is a crock, unless the USA shot it down themselves.

What is the fastest missile to date? Mach 2-2.5 MAYBE 3, but I have never heard of such thing, they'd have to launch it 5-10 minutes before it was over head depending on missile speed. (probably shorter than that, just giving an example)

Last edited by performula; 02-06-2003 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:21 AM
R/C Tech Founder

There is no way they could hit a target that far up. No missile system designed has that great of accuracy; look no further than the USA's semi-defunct "Star Wars" program and missile defense shield for evidence of that. I think that out of the 5 or 6 tests they conducted, they were able to hit the target completely once, and barely a second time. And that target was much, much closer to the ground, moving much more slowly.

The idea that a terrorist group (or even a foreign government) could get their hands on the technology required to shoot down an aircraft travelling about mach 18 at 205,000 feet is far-fetched.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service