R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Chat Lounge (https://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lounge-9/)
-   -   Females in the sport? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lounge/124491-females-sport.html)

cyber3d 08-06-2006 07:37 PM

Females in the sport?

It appears obvious to me that this is a sport comprised mostly of males. Are there any females in the sport? Speak up ladies! :nod:

Victor

SWTour 08-06-2006 07:44 PM

First one that comes to my mind...Vicky Carruba (www.teampowerpush.com)

We've got at least 3 at our LOCAL track running TC's w/ their husbands and I've seen and known several others over the years too.

Turbo Joe 08-06-2006 08:01 PM

We have a few pretty fast ones around here...Tony Phalen's wife (gf?) kicks butt in TC, Rhonda Skelton in anything on dirt, Cindy Kirkman is out there with her husband and son every Saturday kicking butt at Revelation in the MT or truggy class.

Mr. McGoo 08-06-2006 08:11 PM

my wife (aka Mrs. McGoo) and I race together all the time...she holds her own at our local track and has ventured to last year's IIC and snowbirds...and we will be heading to race at this years IIC as well.

having a wife in the hobby/sport makes it alot easier to justify purchases, but the only problem is, that if i get the latest and greatest "xyz" then she wants "xyz"....so i just have to make sure i can afford 2 "xyz's" :nod: :nod: :nod:

we have a blast together and its just great quality time together....

Mason 08-06-2006 09:05 PM

We're having a Powder Puff event @ NewRed this saturday. so far looks to be 8 or 9 on the dirt oval. most of these gals have only been practicing the last 2 weeks, so its going to be interesting.

Roger 08-06-2006 09:33 PM

We ( NorCal ) have one of the fastest girls here in our backyard. Her name is Kathy D. and she is fast :nod: .

B4Bandit 08-07-2006 01:39 AM

My fiance races with me on and off-road!!!!

She is the best... Still learning how to drive, but so am I... in fact, aren't we all?

There is another husband/wife/daughter team at my club and last weekend, we had a couple more dudes with their girlfriends racing in the mini class. It was sick :nod:

Racer_Chick 08-07-2006 07:08 PM

Hey Mason, too bad I'm working this Sat. - A Powder Puff race sounds fun! lol. Oh, and btw, I'm one of the female racers out there, as is my mom, lmunno :)

Big Daddy Boomer 08-09-2006 05:27 PM

There is an up and coming Rc "chick". She is 15 and can race anything (onroad or off-road) She is especially good at 1/8 scale Buggy. Keep an eye open for her next summer. She is my niece Sarah Ernst. Scotty's daughter (it must run in the blood).

Here is a picture of her at a recent Nitro off road race from May, one of her with Dad from 2005 and one with uncle boomer in California for the TCS Nats in 2004.

Starting in September she will be racing weekly instead of 4 or 5 times a year. :weird:

Boomer

Art Jensen 08-09-2006 06:02 PM

I know Carissa Figelski races for RC America and is an awesome driver. I raced against her at the Snowbirds this past year and was very impressed.

lastplace 08-09-2006 06:39 PM

First one that comes to my mind...Vicky Carruba (www.teampowerpush.com)

Carruba? I thought she was Vicky Blackenstock?

CarissaF 08-09-2006 06:48 PM

I race just about anything and everything. I know there are a lot of women out there that race on local levels but very few compete on a national scale.

Thanks for the kind words Art. This year I did leave RC America. I'm back to being a regualr jo shmo!

litespeed-dom 08-09-2006 07:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Not really electric. But there was a little girl name Kelsey in the Seattle area that raced 1/8th!!! She and her dad Smitty used to travel to big gas races, and if I remember correctly, she was racing 1/10th 200mm at the Texas Biggie and at the end of the weekend the crowd gave her a surprise.... they gather an 1/8th roller, electronics, motor and gave it to her. She took it out for a few laps while the pit was dead silence and everyone watched. I think she was probably 8 at that time, that was about 3 years ago. After that she actually got a sponsorship from Speedline to race 1/8th!!! Well, dad and her quit r/c last year and they are now racing karts!

Here are some pics.... her pitting for dad, on the driver stand.

Dom

Art Jensen 08-09-2006 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by CarissaF
I race just about anything and everything. I know there are a lot of women out there that race on local levels but very few compete on a national scale.

Thanks for the kind words Art. This year I did leave RC America. I'm back to being a regualr jo shmo!

Are you going to the IIC or Birds this year?

SlamMan 08-09-2006 08:13 PM

TTIWWOP :nod: