Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
The weirdos in the attic thread >

The weirdos in the attic thread

Like Tree827Likes

The weirdos in the attic thread

Old 06-22-2022, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Baja 5B Flux In-Progress

Since getting back into the hobby last summer I have been working through getting my older RCs back into service in-between projects on newer RCs. I finally got my Baja 5B Flux back on the workbench a couple weeks ago which had kept getting bumped to the bottom of the priority list. I Haven't run it in several years, it was just stored on display in the mancave. It still works, not anything wrong with it except for some torn boots. I just have a box of upgrade parts I want to install before running it again so I'm working on that now. Have a lot of other things going on with the kids being done with school for the summer so only have a little bit of time here and there to work on it so things have been proceeding slowly.

I've got more details on it in Horatio's Baja 5B thread

Baja 5B SS - Long Term Review - 11 Years On
nitrous36 and Dave_S like this.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pretty sweet update comes to gt7 tonight or tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
Now is this true? Or are you just saying that because "fuck traxxas"? Traxxas at the time of the e-maxx / t-maxx werent a bad company yet. Yet.
it was legitimately a piece of shit. i knew 2 people that had them. couldn't get out of there own way. handling was terrible. wasn't nearly as durable as people liked to claim. the t-maxx was to monster trucks what the slash was to short course. the first of a new generation. so it got all the hype and hysteria that comes with it but as soon as there's competition you realize just how much of a pile of shit it really is. but the fanboys won't turn down the volume on singing its praises. it was the truck that made my toleration of traxxas turn into outright flaming hatred. it was also the truck i coined the saying "over priced, entre level, aftermarket dependent" for. it was the first time i had ever gotten my hands on a truck designed, engineered, and built by the credo "good enough".

and yes they were a bad company even back then. they were known to use there clout and advertising money to sway things in there favor if not flat out get there way. there were stories even back then (some even confirmed) about them threatening to pull advertising over website/forum content. they allegedly () threatened RCCA with that more than once. one of my former LHS's got burned by them more than once to the point they stopped selling traxxas products. they've had a questionable corporate reputation sense at least the late 90's.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKWAV View Post
Since getting back into the hobby last summer I have been working through getting my older RCs back into service in-between projects on newer RCs. I finally got my Baja 5B Flux back on the workbench a couple weeks ago which had kept getting bumped to the bottom of the priority list. I Haven't run it in several years, it was just stored on display in the mancave. It still works, not anything wrong with it except for some torn boots. I just have a box of upgrade parts I want to install before running it again so I'm working on that now. Have a lot of other things going on with the kids being done with school for the summer so only have a little bit of time here and there to work on it so things have been proceeding slowly.

I've got more details on it in Horatio's Baja 5B thread

Baja 5B SS - Long Term Review - 11 Years On
Mines sitting in my back room. I was waiting on the 12s capable ESC that Castle was supposed to have coming soon back on URC. I thought I was going to sell it last year. But they never followed up on it
Dave_S likes this.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Mines sitting in my back room. I was waiting on the 12s capable ESC that Castle was supposed to have coming soon back on URC. I thought I was going to sell it last year. But they never followed up on it
Were you ever interested in the gasoline Baja?
Old 06-22-2022, 06:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Were you ever interested in the gasoline Baja?
Sorta. But as with nitro you gotta have a place to use it. That the noise donít bother people. Not an east thing to do down in the south suburbs. Think my coworker back then had 4-5 of them. But never really ran them much.

Every open field I pass by is owned. Either by private or corporate.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Finally had a chance to check out the gravel trail system that is across the street from my house.

Also got a chance to take a nice 50 mile cruise on some new curvy roads. I've already got all of the really sharp corners memorized on the 17 mile run to the city so it was nice to have some new corners.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:32 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by st_dragn_wagen View Post
and yes they were a bad company even back then. they were known to use there clout and advertising money to sway things in there favor if not flat out get there way. there were stories even back then (some even confirmed) about them...
Gotya. I thought they didn't start any of that crap until the mid-late '00s. The T and E maxx always looked good from afar. Never drove one. I was in the Savage crowd back then. I just figured they were like HPIs truck but with a lower build quality.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I think I'm on borrowed time with that old XL2 still in there. I would hope Castle has ironed out any of the early issues with the XLX2 by now.

For a 12S ESC so far I haven't heard any complaint's about the new HW MAX4. I've seen some videos of a 5ive-B, DBXL-E, and Kraton 8S absolutely ripping it with this ESC and no heat issues. I think it has only been out a month or two though.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by waitwhat View Post

Finally had a chance to check out the gravel trail system that is across the street from my house.

Also got a chance to take a nice 50 mile cruise on some new curvy roads. I've already got all of the really sharp corners memorized on the 17 mile run to the city so it was nice to have some new corners.
Looks killer! Is the gravel trail system for non motorized vehicles only?
Old 06-22-2022, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

I think I'm on borrowed time with that old XL2 still in there. I would hope Castle has ironed out any of the early issues with the XLX2 by now.

For a 12S ESC so far I haven't heard any complaint's about the new HW MAX4. I've seen some videos of a 5ive-B, DBXL-E, and Kraton 8S absolutely ripping it with this ESC and no heat issues. I think it has only been out a month or two though.
never heard of the max 4, looks pretty beefy. Wouldn't mind trying it but i have to many projects at the moment.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
Gotya. I thought they didn't start any of that crap until the mid-late '00s. The T and E maxx always looked good from afar. Never drove one. I was in the Savage crowd back then. I just figured they were like HPIs truck but with a lower build quality.
About ready to ignite a classic Savage vs. T-Maxx flame war like the good ol' days?
nitrous36, jiml and Sir 51D3WAYS like this.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Race side now gets my money. One of these days I’ve gotta get it out. Even if it’s to start to decide about selling.

Didn’t know HW had a 12s esc.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Looks killer! Is the gravel trail system for non motorized vehicles only?
It is, and there is a trail system for motorized vehicles less than 10 miles up the road. As soon as I get done rebuilding my 02 YZ125 I'll check them out too.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by st_dragn_wagen View Post
not talking popularity, im talking progressionary timeline. nitro monster trucks already existed and people were building buggies into a cross between a monster truck what is now a truggy before the t-maxx was a thing. sense it was primarily bashers building them one could even argue it was those builds that lead to the t-maxx. then yes. racing happened, other manufactures jumped on board. losi made the muggy and killed the class. now monster truck racing is all but dead, and the fallout left the truggy class. this is the cliffnotes, and there's some overlap and interbreeding in there im leaving out cause i don't feel like writing a novel.
also doesn't change the fact that t-maxx owners were dumb
or that the t-maxx was a slow, ill handling POS out of the box.
Yes you're right the USA-1 was out before the T-Maxx, as well as other nitro monster trucks, but none of them were as popular as the T-Maxx. It wasn't until the T-Maxx that the word Truggy became part of the vernacular. Either way, it's not RC racings brightest moment.

I get the feeling you're not a really big fan of Traxxas

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.