Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Noobie...Just introducing myself... >

Noobie...Just introducing myself...

Noobie...Just introducing myself...

Old 04-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Noobie...Just introducing myself...

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeff, and I found you guys while doing a search on the net. Glad I found you as this seems like a really nice forum with TONS of information.

I have always wanted to get into RC cars, and have played alot with electric, but would really like to get into gas powered. I work as a youth pastor in Northern Illinois and I have quite a few teens that are into this, and figured this would be the perfect time to get involved...kinda let me enjoy the hobby and connect with my teens as well.

I am looking at getting a truck as alot of what we do is outside, something that is pretty tough that we can gently bang around and have fun with. I am looking strongly at the LST2 as this is the recommendation of the local hobby shop.

The only drawback is that is some serious cash to lay out...so we will see.

I am open to any suggestions and I am willing to buy used so long as the person is trustworthy.

Thanks so much for all the information. I look forward to meeting many of you, and hopefully some in my area!

Jeffrey
Old 04-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Welcome to the club. Most here are respectable folks but like anywhere you have some bad apples. Just ignore 'em
If you buy anything used here (which I personally think is the best option because sometimes you will find really good deals on well cared for items) make sure the person has good pics and has been a member for atleast 2 years. Doesn't matter if they only have 10 posts- just matters that they have been around for awhile and plan on being around for awhile longer (be careful of some 'getting out' sales). That approach for me has kept me scammed free so far Also use paypal whenever you can and have them ship with delivery confirmation or a tracking number.

Have Fun,
Mike
Old 04-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Welcome Dude

Cheers
Old 04-05-2006, 05:51 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Welcome.... from Roscoe!

I'm actually from Roscoe also. I checked the link in your profile, and I think the Hope parking lot would be an ideal place for onroad racing ( wasn't it just repaved recently? ). I'm sure you could probably setup something out behind it to for offroad.. I rarely drive Willowbrook anymore though, so I don't know if the area behind it has changed. I have to go through town now that the took out the McCurrey bridge.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey TSR6 -

That is awesome that you are from Roscoe Illinois! That is great!

Yeah, the parking lot is HUGE...but it has bumps in the side area, but the back area is really nice.

Feel free to come check it out anytime! I have off Mondays, but other than that, I am in the church any other day up in the Youth Room.

Hope to meet you sometime...where do you go for all your RC needs? I have only been to Hobby Lobby by the Walmart off of Riverside?!? Is that where you go?

Do you think my LST2 idea is a good one? Any recommendations?

Also, any good places to RC around here...other than my parking lot?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You can't beat a T-Maxx for cheap (relatively speaking) fun and reliability. Plus almost every nitro guy out there has one or had one so tuning help won't be a big deal. You can probably find one for a very reasonable cost. Welcome to RC!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:00 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Daddy2mnb
Hey TSR6 -

That is awesome that you are from Roscoe Illinois! That is great!

Yeah, the parking lot is HUGE...but it has bumps in the side area, but the back area is really nice.

Feel free to come check it out anytime! I have off Mondays, but other than that, I am in the church any other day up in the Youth Room.

Hope to meet you sometime...where do you go for all your RC needs? I have only been to Hobby Lobby by the Walmart off of Riverside?!? Is that where you go?

Do you think my LST2 idea is a good one? Any recommendations?

Also, any good places to RC around here...other than my parking lot?

I didn't know Hobby Lobby sold R/C stuff in Rockford. I just know of HobbyTown USA on North Alpine.

I buy my stuff at S&N Trackside in Milwaukee. I know thats quite the hike from Roscoe ( Hour and 15 minutes ), but they have an on-site carpet track that is world class.

I don't have any experiance with the Losi truck.

As far as places to run, I know that during the summer they used to run a lot at the BMX track in rockford. I don't know if that still happens or not. Otherwise the tracks for us are about an hour away ( Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Monroe ).

-T
Old 04-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Tech Rookie

My bad...your right, it is Hobbytown USA not Hobby Lobby. Hobbytown USA is the one that I was in. Really nice shop...pretty big.

The owners have been really nice to me and the people I have taken in there. My 5 year old son LOVES the helicopters, and they have a small one they always fly around inside for him...he goes nuts.

Not sure where their prices lie, but so far, the service has been wonderful.

I went out and checked the back of the parking lot, and there is a huge area that looks to me like it would be perfect for buzzing around an RC car...I can't wait!