Funnest class? >

Funnest class?

Like Tree39Likes

Funnest class?

Old 06-29-2021, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Funnest class?

I want to have fun and wrench very little. The wrecks will make up for that time. 🤣 Is it GT12, USGT, VTA, etc.?
Old 06-29-2021, 12:41 AM
Tech Regular

It depends on the season. A single class gets stale after a while so other classes become more fun as a result.

I consider Gt, vta, etc all to be under the same class, just different specs. So just race whochever is most popular on your track.

In terms of different classes, here are the ones i considered funnest....

1/10 touring - This is just the epitome of electric onroad racing... cant be beat in terms of speed, technicality and of course... $$ spent. But it has the most chance of being raced everywhere so if you are into racing out of town or country then this is your best bet.

Mini or M-chassis - Smaller and cheaper to run than 4wd touring but more twitchy and responsive. We run endurance races with these with 10,000 mah battery packs lasting for an hour with 13.5 turn blinky. Great fun... but the cars themselves are not meant for such running duration ao full rebuilds are needed quite often.

Front wheel drive touring - This is all the rage here right now and i have to say i bring mine to the track more than my 4wd touring nowadays. They are lighter than the 4wd making them more nimble and agile and at 13.5 turns, you dont really suffer from that much wheel spin. Slightly cheaper than 4wd touring with more and more car models being released recently. Tbese are a good choice if they are allowed in your Gt or vta classes.

MiniZ - Amazing fun for smaller scale cars. Drives similar to 1/10 cars but you pay a lot for such a small package.

Classes i hated... not to say they are bad... i just did not enjoy them.

F1 - found it hard to drive and cars were fragile.
Drift - too slow for my liking though i respect the skills required
Short Course - Fun the first day out but the novelty wore off really quickly.
performula, nitrous36 and Raman like this.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tak4 View Post
It depends on the season. A single class gets stale after a while so other classes become more fun as a result.

I consider Gt, vta, etc all to be under the same class, just different specs. So just race whochever is most popular on your track.

1/10 touring - This is just the epitome of electric onroad racing... cant be beat in terms of speed, technicality and of course... $$ spent. But it has the most chance of being raced everywhere so if you are into racing out of town or country then this is your best bet.

Mini or M-chassis - Smaller and cheaper to run than 4wd touring but more twitchy and responsive. We run endurance races with these with 10,000 mah battery packs lasting for an hour with 13.5 turn blinky. Great fun... but the cars themselves are not meant for such running duration ao full rebuilds are needed quite often.

Front wheel drive touring - This is all the rage here right now and i have to say i bring mine to the track more than my 4wd touring nowadays. They are lighter than the 4wd making them more nimble and agile and at 13.5 turns, you dont really suffer from that much wheel spin. Slightly cheaper than 4wd touring with more and more car models being released recently. Tbese are a good choice if they are allowed in your Gt or vta classes.

MiniZ - Amazing fun for smaller scale cars. Drives similar to 1/10 cars but you pay a lot for such a small package.

Yes, durability is a huge bonus. 1/12 seems like it would take the least amount of time however seems fragile, I have a lot invested in touring - tires, bodies, motors, etc. Older stuff but faster than me.

Do they allow FWD in 4WD?
joywriter likes this.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by performula View Post
Yes, durability is a huge bonus. 1/12 seems like it would take the least amount of time however seems fragile, I have a lot invested in touring - tires, bodies, motors, etc. Older stuff but faster than me.

Do they allow FWD in 4WD?
I have read FWD is allowed, as long as it meets the weight requirements and may differ from track to track. If you are running the vta type classes then the tourinf of fwd cars should be able to take those hits without muxh issues.

The main advantage of Fwd over 4wd which might interest you is less maintenance. One drive train less. Doesnt sound like much but no need to worry about an extra spool or difd, universals, belts. A new fwd kit is also cheaper with many quality solid kits from taiwan, hk, china costing a fraction of their 4wd countwrparts.
performula likes this.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

There is a provision for FWD in the USGT rules, the cool part there is that there's no minimum weight requirement. As for a class that requires little to no wrenching, that's euro truck. Only needs a front diff rebuild once in a while, and more grease in the dampers if you're running any. Nothing else to really adjust or maintain.
performula likes this.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well a lot depends on what they race by you. Having a car with no place to race it gets old fast.

If you're just looking to have fun stay away from the top classes. Touring Car is very competitive and very difficult. 1/12 is a competitive class, but is probably the least expensive to maintain. But you have to love precision driving and 8 minute races. They're not that fragile, unless you hit a board head on at full speed. I love VTA, but no where to race it any more, at least not near me. Tamiya M-chassis is fun, again not a lot of places to race it, same with Euro Truck.

Right now I'm having the most fun with no prep drag racing!
Old 06-29-2021, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml;[url=[url
tel:15800679]15800679]Well[/url] a lot depends on what they race by you. Having a car with no place to race it gets old fast.

If you're just looking to have fun stay away from the top classes. Touring Car is very competitive and very difficult. 1/12 is a competitive class, but is probably the least expensive to maintain. But you have to love precision driving and 8 minute races. They're not that fragile, unless you hit a board head on at full speed. I love VTA, but no where to race it any more, at least not near me. Tamiya M-chassis is fun, again not a lot of places to race it, same with Euro Truck.

Right now I'm having the most fun with no prep drag racing!
Yeah, Iím going to need to visit the tracks, itís hard getting answers from people on social media (tracks, hobby stores), etc.

I raced Nitro Touring and didnít enjoy it much. I spent more time cleaning/setting up more than racing. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but for every race weekend I spent nearly the day before inspecting and setting up for 8 hours to race maybe 30-45 minutes total. It wasnít rewarding.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, Iím going to need to visit the tracks, itís hard getting answers from people on social media (tracks, hobby stores), etc.

I raced Nitro Touring and didnít enjoy it much. I spent more time cleaning/setting up more than racing. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but for every race weekend I spent nearly the day before inspecting and setting up for 8 hours to race maybe 30-45 minutes total. It wasnít rewarding.

This can be a big reason that is killing racing. I really dislike spending 5-6 hours on a regular race night but only get 15 of racing.
performula likes this.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Avoid social media. There are too many people who "know everything" but haven't been to the track. If you go the the track and the racers see a potential new guy they will give you all the answers you need, and maybe a few you don't.

I spend a lot of time trying to promote the hobby. One thing I hear a lot is it's too much clock time for not a lot of track time. Racers appreciate the time and work it takes to improve lap times, even if it's a few tenths, but not everyone wants to do that. A few hours racing with their friends having a good time is what they're looking for.

Often I put in my opinion on changes racers want to make to get more people racing. Many times I get "why should we listen to you, you don't race." Why would you talk to people who are already racing about how to get more racers? We should be talking to the people who aren't racing and see what they want at a track.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tak4 View Post

Raced all of these except FWD touring and Euro truck. 13 class in the past year. All can be fun. Even running in class I really should not be in. Fun depends on expectation. And whoís in your heat. Get that one overly serious driver, and suddenly everyone on edge as heís lapping the field repeatedly.
jiml likes this.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly;[url=[url
tel:15800865]15800865]Raced[/url] all of these except FWD touring and Euro truck. 13 class in the past year. All can be fun. Even running in class I really should not be in. Fun depends on expectation. And whoís in your heat. Get that one overly serious driver, and suddenly everyone on edge as heís lapping the field repeatedly.
More run time less maintenance. Youíll see some of my posts in here.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Call me dumb but I think that the most fun class is one that involves open motor. Some of the most fun I've had in rc was mod dirt oval, mod 1/12, modified stadium truck, open run what you want classes that scare the kids and show how fast RC can be.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:36 PM
Tech Prophet

More run time less maintenance. Youíll see some of my posts in here.
Everything so far has been fairly low maintenance. I couldnít afford to run as many cars if it wasnít. Tires were my expensive in USGT. Iíve not had belt issues, I do know some that seem to break something every race. Typically is more driver error.

F1 was what I had the most parts break in. Two parts repeatedly. Front wing, and side links. Simple to replace, but got old. So far Iím finding that Tamiya M cars tend to break parts fairly easy. Not expensive parts but just something Iím not used to. I watch my 2/4wheel buggys go cartwheeling and nothing. Tamiya gets a bump the wrong way and steering knuckle is broken.
performula likes this.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Call me dumb but I think that the most fun class is one that involves open motor. Some of the most fun I've had in rc was mod dirt oval, mod 1/12, modified stadium truck, open run what you want classes that scare the kids and show how fast RC can be.

Ok...

"You're Dumb."

jiml likes this.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Yeah, but not exactly the best way to start.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.