Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
What Happened the last 10 years on ebay? >

What Happened the last 10 years on ebay?

Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By Speed Freak RC
  • 4 Post By Krazykurt88
  • 1 Post By mach51
  • 2 Post By Bsthetech
  • 2 Post By kurt.
  • 1 Post By roadrashracing
  • 2 Post By Roelof
  • 2 Post By ZEe_NYC

What Happened the last 10 years on ebay?

Old 08-13-2020, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default What Happened the last 10 years on ebay?

So, I took about 10 years off from selling any of my RC stuff on ebay. The last couple of months I decided I was tired of having all of this stuff sit around and decided to start moving it. My feedback is 1200+ on ebay. I have had more people bid on stuff and then as soon as the auction is over submit a request to cancel their purchase - what the heck? It's annoying because the last 2 losers that did it asked questions leading right up to the end of the auction and had every opportunity to retract their bid and let the next highest bidder get it. Each time, I have offered it to the 2nd place bidder and sometimes the 3rd place bidder and they dont buy it probably because they think its a scam or something. So it leads to another 7-10 day auction and answering dumb questions like "does it come with electronics" even though it says NO ELECTRONICS in the heading and the listing and there are none in the pictures. Geez...the entitlement society...
Old 08-14-2020, 06:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thereís a lot of morons in the world today unfortunately. And youíre looking at a whole new generation of them bidding on your stuff 10 years later. The generation of participation trophies and entitlement to boot.
J.Whiting, petersen114 and ZEe_NYC like this.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't cancel it and after so many days turn them into ebay for non payment I've had the same problem in the past and finally thats what I ended up doing. Just put in the description that if you cancel bid after the end of the auction you are still responsible for the purchase
Old 08-19-2020, 05:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Krazykurt88 View Post
Don't cancel it and after so many days turn them into ebay for non payment I've had the same problem in the past and finally thats what I ended up doing. Just put in the description that if you cancel bid after the end of the auction you are still responsible for the purchase

Two bidders can scam you. Here's how it works #3 has a max bid of $100. #2 has a max of $150. Top bidder, #1 max is $151. Nobody will bid because the product is only worth $150. The current bid is $151. If #1 backs out, the bid will drop to $101. Therefore, bidder #2 wins the bid for $101. If #3 is in on it, then if #2 back out, the winning bid will be $1 higher than #4. Bidder #3 wins the bid.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

lol, I have had FOUR non paying bidders in the last week. One guy lied a couple times and then said the price was too high. ??? He is the one that set the price not me. Ebay sucks. I will be glad when I am done selling out my leftover RC stuff so I never have to use ebay again.
Speed Freak RC likes this.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You bid on it, you bought it. When did they start letting weasels back out of their bids? It ruins the whole process.

The seller has to accept a low bid if it's the highest, but a bidder can just retract his bid after he wins? That is total garbage!
J.Whiting and Speed Freak RC like this.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The 10% final value fee almost makes it not worth it.
LOW ET and ZEe_NYC like this.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have had buyers cancel as well.. even charge back after they received items..
Buy my stuff and leave negatives and donít send the stuff back..happened to me.

I personally have not ever canceled a bid that I have out and have bitten the bullet in bed as well and shelled out the cash..

Just know if I bid on something, I am extremely interested.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:32 AM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

All I do is buy it now and require immediate payment and your done.
Bsthetech likes this.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

First make sure you have your preferences set to weed out a lot of these guys. Go into MyEbay/Account/Preferences. Scroll about half way down to Buyer Requirements. There you can block buyers with unpaid items strikes, buyers in locations you don't ship to (more on that in a minute), and with negative feedback scores.

Then when you list something, make sure you create shipping exclusions that block everything other than the country you're in. And if you're doing Buy It Now, make sure Immediate Payment Required is on.

Also, as been mentioned before...don't let them back out. They committed to buying. It's sort of a pain filing a non-payment compliant with Ebay, but I'm guessing that's what these people are hoping for.

I've only had 1 person back out in 3-5 years and I regularly have 20-50 items listed at any time.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mach51 View Post
So, I took about 10 years off from selling any of my RC stuff on ebay. The last couple of months I decided I was tired of having all of this stuff sit around and decided to start moving it. My feedback is 1200+ on ebay. I have had more people bid on stuff and then as soon as the auction is over submit a request to cancel their purchase - what the heck? It's annoying because the last 2 losers that did it asked questions leading right up to the end of the auction and had every opportunity to retract their bid and let the next highest bidder get it. Each time, I have offered it to the 2nd place bidder and sometimes the 3rd place bidder and they dont buy it probably because they think its a scam or something. So it leads to another 7-10 day auction and answering dumb questions like "does it come with electronics" even though it says NO ELECTRONICS in the heading and the listing and there are none in the pictures. Geez...the entitlement society...
Entitlement society? Not sure where that comment came from. It has nothing to do with that.

The problem is caused by "manufactured scarcity", where online vendors are constantly changing prices or letting items go out of stock for indefinite periods of time, which makes people jumpy so they'll buy things impulsively instead of taking the time to figure out if it's what they really need/want. Gotta hurry up and buy it now, because you may never see it again. That is an unfortunate side effect of auctioning sites in general, because the items are being sold by people who probably only have one or two instead of a warehouse full of them, but other online vendors have started copying it too.

Basically, people are bidding on your auctions impulsively so they won't miss out, and then worrying about the details (and the consequences) later. There really isn't anything you can do about it, it's a fundamental flaw in the way auctions work.

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC View Post
There’s a lot of morons in the world today unfortunately. And you’re looking at a whole new generation of them bidding on your stuff 10 years later. The generation of participation trophies and entitlement to boot.
Participation trophies don't do much for kids; a kid who got lots of participation trophies isn't going to be any more entitled than a kid who didn't get any participation trophies, because whatever a kid experiences while growing up is "normal" to them. I got a couple participation trophies when I was a kid (little league baseball, as I recall), but I never actually valued them because I knew I hadn't actually won. I honestly cared more about getting things like Perfect Attendance certificates at school because they actually represented some kind of accomplishment. Regardless, they all got thrown away when I moved out of my mom's house. Participation trophies were actually invented by Baby Boomers to boost their own egos, so even if their kids sucked at everything, they could still walk into their kids' rooms and see a bunch of trophies. It's an extension of the postwar economic boom that BBs grew up in, where opportunities for personal advancement and success were so widespread that most BBs couldn't avoid it even if they'd wanted to.

- - -

Anyway, I haven't had much problem with people backing out of purchases on eBay. It probably helps that I write little stories about my items (unless they're totally stock, like spare radios or other components). I end up including a bunch of extra detail while writing those little stories.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 08-23-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:19 AM
Tech Rookie

It doesn't work how it used to anymore. I gave up on selling things on ebay, I just spend my time in vain
Old 08-26-2020, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

I know what has hapened. Trolling from behind the keyboard has become an hobby for many people.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Been selling on eBay since ‘96; you know... since you had to send someone a postal money order as payment.

... it blows donkey balls lately.

jiml and Speed Freak RC like this.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

I'm a top-rated seller and I've averaged about $700 a month in sales over the past few months, as I clear-out stuff prior to moving. I haven't had any major problems selling items; I've had more problems buying things from other sellers who were dishonest in their listings.