Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge
Im entertaining the idea of selling nitro fuel for model engines. >

Im entertaining the idea of selling nitro fuel for model engines.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sir 51D3WAYS

Im entertaining the idea of selling nitro fuel for model engines.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Im entertaining the idea of selling nitro fuel for model engines.

Basically as the title suggests. I've been mixing my own nitro fuel since the early 90s not only for my rc hobby but also for 2 stroke gokart dirt racing. My father's friend who has been doing the same since the early 60's taught me everything as he is some sort of chemist for Motul. Funny thing is that I've been successfully mixing 0-5% nitro for many years and never really had to buy premixed fuel. "Little known fact is that rcs dont require nitromethane for its combustion and can work perfectly fine without it if the right oils and their quantities are mixed right".

I've probably been through 30 motors both "rc and not" in my life all useing a mix of certain oils and detergents learning what works and what doesnt and having the experience with different products and chemicals to the point where I belive I have perfected a low nitro percentage fuel that doesnt overheat engines and actually makes them last as long if not longer then with nitro mix which is why I belive my fuel recipe could be worth actually selling.

I'm heavily considering it and am currently getting a hold of my contacts who sell these chemicals to see if I can formulate a viable buisness strategy. Let me know if this is something that would interest people. I could have a functional prototype mix within a few months "slow due to coroavirus".
Old 06-01-2020, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

A bit difficult imo, considering that you will have large quantities of flammable stuff at your house and that you will be selling it, you'd probably need permits for both and the authorities will be real interested in you from a safety perspective. Insurance prolly won't play nice either. Didn't Byron's just peace out cos it was too difficult?

I hate to be a downer but you could prolly start small by mixing and selling to the local nitro guys first, then maybe work your way from there.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:07 AM
Tech Initiate

ive got a place to store it at my local racetrack since I rent space there. We can store fuel if we choose.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Hmmmm..... Personally I'd check if a permit is required to sell the stuff/possess above a certain amount, get the approvals/paperwork out of the way, then start selling to the guys at the track, then expand to other local tracks and see if it takes off. I'm not so sure how you would ship it though.....
nitrodude likes this.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS View Post
Hmmmm..... Personally I'd check if a permit is required to sell the stuff/possess above a certain amount, get the approvals/paperwork out of the way, then start selling to the guys at the track, then expand to other local tracks and see if it takes off. I'm not so sure how you would ship it though.....
+1
Old 06-01-2020, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nitro may not be required but it sure makes life easier. We ran 30% in our heli’s back in the day. Easy to tune and loads of power.