carpet or turf racing

Like Tree5Likes

carpet or turf racing

Old 01-30-2020, 12:13 PM
vr6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default carpet or turf racing

just curious what everyone's thoughts are for racing on either of these surfaces running indoor.
if you had your pick, just 1 pick, would rather run off-road on carpet or turf and why?

with many tracks popping up running 1 of 2 surfaces mentioned above, there definitely seems to be a swing towards carpet.

i personally have never ran turf but carpet and all sorts of dirt, dirt/clay tracks.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Turf all the way. Carpet strikes me as Pan Car with jumps. Unless it's shag pile.....
Old 01-31-2020, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

I have raced both types, and it really depends on the type of turf and type of carpet...

Most types of carpet I have raced on will tend to shed fibers which collect around the out drives, and if you don't regularly blow off the stuff, then it can degrade performance. The turf I have raced on doesn't wear like carpet does, in fact the turf track in our area hasn't shown any signs of wear since they installed it nearly 2 years ago! Turf can be more appealing to a track owner where I believe that it will be more cost effective and far less maintenance both both the track owner and the drivers.

While I consider turf a high grip surface, there have been some carpet tracks I visited where traction/wear was almost identical to turf with absolutely no tuning changes necessary, but there are some brands of carpet which offer extremely higher traction than turf and I struggled with setup to prevent traction rolling at that track. The locals were saying they would get 10+ race days on a set of tires for that particular carpet which was industrial square carpet from a commercial office space. The turf track in our area tends to go through a set of tires every 3-4 race days.

My preference is to go with the commercial squares offering higher traction and increased tire longevity.

While not being asked I think it's worth noting that the club in our area has offered a new 1/10 dirt program with the track being watered down which tends to offer almost no wear on the tires. They run both programs together and the popularity for dirt has been a staggering 5-1 turnout compared to those who continue running turf.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

^That dirt track is awesome lmao. It's almost too big for 1/10th scale though, looks like it might be for 1/8th almost.

Self marshalling appears to be a pain though....
Old 01-31-2020, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS View Post
^That dirt track is awesome lmao. It's almost too big for 1/10th scale though, looks like it might be for 1/8th almost.

Self marshalling appears to be a pain though....
The section of the photo that is black and white is indeed a 1/8 track with hot laps in the 35 sec range, the colored section is the 1/10 layout with hot laps in the 20 sec range, they recently added the triple to the 1/10 track with lap times aronnd 25 sec, only need 5 marshals with this layout and the driver stand will accommodate up to 16 drivers

The pictured turf track had hot laps around 20 sec.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:10 PM
vr6
Tech Addict

name of the track that you posted a picture of please, thank you
Old 01-31-2020, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vr6 View Post
name of the track that you posted a picture of please, thank you
Thornhill Racing Circuit
Old 02-03-2020, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Turf.

Carpet has too much grip. Traction rolling and weird solutions to it, are a pita. Race on road if you want carpet.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Which is great if you have a choice. New track near me is carpet off road. I asked about doing on road once in a while. I was given an impolite no.

Actually I can do on road there, with a mini z.

Last edited by jiml; 02-04-2020 at 08:10 AM. Reason: needed to add this
Old 02-06-2020, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I see both artificial surfaces as an easy way out for track owners that donít have much pride for their business. I will drive hours to an awesome high bite clay track but not 45 minutes to a turf track or just over an hour to a carpet track near me. This is my preference. The only good that these artificial surfaces do is help grow new people into the sport since it brings more tracks but also they turn many people off. For as long as I continue to race it will always be my decision to race on the best surfaces that I like and these arenít artificial
Old 02-06-2020, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

case in point, last night was a very low turnout, presumably due to cold weather with temps in the 30's, it would actually snow after racing finished, but the outdoor/covered track saw only 3 entries on turf and 19 entries for dirt... there is definitely a disparity in interest that should not be overlooked.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:57 AM
vr6
Tech Addict

what's interesting is that a lot of tracks have switched from dirt to carpet(not so much turf) and are killing it. some tracks have popped up also because it was carpet and not dirt and have opened up in small shopping malls where dirt was probably not an option from the property owner

the rc guy likes this.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Killing it in the track owning business I would have to say more along the lines of OCRC and a Hobby Action where everything was done right from the start and no easy way out.
billdelong likes this.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:57 AM
vr6
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Losiracer12 View Post
Killing it in the track owning business I would have to say more along the lines of OCRC and a Hobby Action where everything was done right from the start and no easy way out.
what i am referring to is the attendance records have shown that converting to an artificial surface from dirt has not affected there entries. Look at Diehard R/C, brett numbers are fantastic for a carpet track and it's not even an ozite surface either
Old 02-07-2020, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Makin Traxx in New York is a high bite indoor clay track that has everything done right and is perhaps the biggest turnout for club racing scene in the country right now while in Long Island awesome carpet tracks get 1/4 of the turnout at best

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.