Which companies are getting the most contracted customers for 2020 >

Which companies are getting the most contracted customers for 2020

Like Tree75Likes

Which companies are getting the most contracted customers for 2020

Old 12-15-2019, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Which companies are getting the most contracted customers for 2020

I see Xray handing out deals like lollipops now to every racer that breathes,Trinity and Concepts getting guys that have no business being sponsored the past few years. Yokomo/Muchmore a complete joke with signing mediocre drivers also and Hobbywing having a 3 question process on their website to hand out deals. Most sponsorships mean absolutely nothing anymore and these companies are taking the prestige from those who worked hard and gave dedication to get where they are. They also take advantage of racer egos to be able to say that they are sponsored but are only locked into direct sales with one company. What a complete sh*tshow of an industry that is upon us. I will be sure to stay away from the brands that continue to hurt the sport for their greed and support the ones who do things correctly for the stores and tracks
Speed Freak RC likes this.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

When I see the one guy at my local track running for Muchmore and Reds I ask him which company makes the better products lol. I have seen Fantom allow drivers to run for their company and also others that make the same products. What a complete joke this industry has become!
Old 12-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Nice story bro. Sounds like a good rant for the chat lounge and not off-road specific?
Old 12-15-2019, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Wait, are you that guy that punched that dude in the face on the stand the other week? Lol Odd this hurts you so much or makes you this upset.
others drivers skill level shouldnt bother you man, everyone had to start somewhere.

and whsts wrong with normal guys getting deals with companies,?

Dare i say this is wise for companies to do. Its free marketing for them, and it helps racers get better and actually afford the gear you elite pros use.
either way, this shouldnt effect you or your driving in any way and i can assure you in the big scheme of things, this has zero besring on real life, lol.
these are toys, hah. I come in the last two or three every week at races, lol, i wish people would toss sponsorships at me, they dont. Haha

but hey, if you dont land a good job or get fired from a good job, or get turned down for a school scholarship, or get areested, or get denied health coverega, or get divorced all beacuse of whack sponsorships, i guess id have to rethink my stance.
lol

i personally think companies should help more and more novice drivers, the new blood of the industry, without them the hobby dies.
i say help and sponsor more noobs, and get them better and drop guys with piss poor attitudes.

you probably think i missed your point, but i didnt..
that was a fun rant, lol
Old 12-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It’s nothing new. Been happening in rc forever. I’ve seen guys get a chassis sponsor that ran sportsman class at club races and couldn’t make the A main. Not worth getting upset about. It stokes their ego to say they’re sponsored and the manufacturer gets more visibility. Most of the time they find out that they’re really not getting stuff for much less than street price, and they’re locked into running a specific brand. The best sponsorship to have is thru a hobby shop. Then you can at least run what you want and still get some sort of discount.
racer034life and billdelong like this.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sponsorship isn’t just about winning A Mains. It’s about quality people repping your products. If you’re a decent driver that can’t get a sponsorship you should probably look in the mirror.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bsthetech View Post
Sponsorship isn’t just about winning A Mains. It’s about quality people repping your products. If you’re a decent driver that can’t get a sponsorship you should probably look in the mirror.
I agree. But how many racers take advice from C main Joe? IMO you should at least be good enough to make the A main and vie for wins if you want some credibility at the local level. And I’m not talking about rookie or sportsman class. The up and coming drivers know who’s fast. Those are the guys they go to for advice. Those are the guys that are influential on what gear the newer guys will buy.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bsthetech View Post
Sponsorship should be more than a decent driver is the point. When everyone in the industry is “sponsored” it no longer influences sales how sponsorship was intended. It increases sales to the companies by contracting customers and meanwhile hurts the stores that have the tracks. How many will close their doors in 2020 should be the real question and yet these companies continue hurting the sport that they have their business in
Speed Freak RC likes this.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

On brand I am missing is Infinity. This company als bilions to spend and so has gathered a huge dreamteam of drivers. I know most products are sold outside the route of official shops. Taxes are not payed and cars are sold far below the normal retail price, that I can not count as sponsoring but people do...

Sponsoring is not only for the good drivers, it is also done for the good people with RC in their harts helping others and there are more good reasons to think of. I know people who have helped with designs, milling samples and other stuff that is not known to the people but are sponsored in a way for that reason. I had once a team engine from Paris himself because I was helpfull on the SG forums.

And yes, special or discount prices is also told as sponsoring which I think it is not. These discounts comes mostly from shopowners as a deal for the local club or just a way of advertising. He does not loose the money to sell some products with a discount to some but will gain customers. Again, discounts and special prices are no sponsoring to me but sad enough people do behave as if they are sponsored.

The saddest people are the ones who think they are sponsored, calling out all brands onn social media to thank them if they have done a good race. On FB I have one who is 3 secconds a lap too slow but he makes me believe he is sponsored with his car, engine, radio, fuel etc. Yeah...right....

Other sad people are the ones who beg to shops and manufacturers to get a sponsor deal. Not in my life I would do that.

I have been sponsored for several years, but it was no real sponsoring. I did pay all the stuff as a devellopment driver which was fun but also took a lot of my spare time. I had a great time, learned a lot and visit 2 worlds with that sponsor but the project is canceled and to be honest, I am happy to stand on my own with a free choice of equipment and races to run. And with a limited budget I have more fun when I outperform others with expensive equipment.

Kraig, nitrodude and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sponsorship is a joke. I came from RC heli's and sponsorship just became a way of hooking people into a brand. Ya Bob is sponsored by XYZ, and he gets a whopping 25% off parts BFD. Now he's stuck with that brand and has to attend every event in his part of the country on his dime. Hard pass. 'Sponsorship" means many different things.
rcgod and ExRCRacer like this.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:45 AM
Tech Adept

The problem is in the word 'sponsorship' and also how companies and people themselves profile and market it as some sort of big deal.
You are 'sponsored' when you get everything from a certain brand for free. That's it. Anything else and you are getting a deal, not sponsored.

I have now gotten my first 'deal' with the chassis brand I was going to run regardless. Am I sponsored? No. But I'd like to think my results and the way I handle myself at the track has led to the fact that I now have to pay less for certain products than I used to, and I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

This reminds me of my motocross/supercross days. I myself was “sponsored” I was by no means a pro or even a “fast guy” but all through my youth motocross days I was sponsored.

Sponsorship at this level meant i would get discounts on wholesale. These discounts would vary from sponsor to sponsor, but helped my father afford keeping me competitive and with decent gear and all that. Some companies would send me free stuff on occasion but it was shirts and stuff. I had to purchase all of my stuff through the company and would get about 20% off or more. There were different tiers to sponsorship and you’d get heavier discounts based on the classes you ran. Sounds like rc is doing something similar. In motocross being sponsored never meant you were pro. It just meant you took the sport seriously. It was a good deal for motocross and I think similar models would work good for rc. I’m no pro but I’d love a discount on brands I’m already loyal to. Who wouldn’t right? If anyone’s ego needs stroking I think it’s OP lol. Who cares if guys are sponsored. We all know who the team drivers are and there is a big difference so once again who cares
SubSailor, AHR43 and Goof like this.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

My understanding:
"Factory Driver" is someone who actually gets a salary/free products from the brand.
"Sponsored Driver" is someone who gets a discount.
"Team Driver" can be anyone who wears the brand logo, regardless they are representing the brand even if they are not getting any deals.

I don't think it's right to be pressured into limiting my selection of products just because of what someone decides to sell me locally... it's "MY MONEY" and nobody else is gonna control how "I CHOOSE TO SPEND MY MONEY"... period.... now should the LHS happen to support the brands that I prefer to run, AND if the LHS happens to have what I need in stock, then sure I'll spend a few extra bucks to support them, but I will not pay more than $5 extra to buy any product locally that I can get online and save a considerable amount of my budget. That's where I draw the line and if this means that the LHS will go away, then that's something I am willing to accept as a consumer. It's up to the LHS to be more competitive to earn my business, put the pressure on them, because they don't offer any guarantee to refund my race fee when they don't have the parts I need on race day

I have been burned far too many times with the LHS not having what I need in stock for my race day to end early. I have learned to become self supporting and carry all the "parts I need myself"... so why should I have to pay top dollar to support myself? This is all the more reason to get a discount in order to afford to carry the equivalent of a small LHS worth of parts for each brand that I choose to run, I have essentially become a dealer at this point, and guess what, when others choose to run the same brand I am running and when the LHS runs out of parts (which happens all the time), guess who comes running to the sponsored drivers (like me) to get parts?!!!

Sure, getting a sponsorship may feel like you are getting "locked into a brand", but that is almost impossible to enforce. You still have the freedom to "test" products from other brands, at least at the club level... and that's really the point of targeting sponsorships anyway. There are far too many "unknown brands" out there which the OP has legitimately posted a valid question in trying to find out which brands are worth trying to get discounts with?

I see these sponsorships as helping the industry, not only do they enable drivers to back fill stock when the LHS fails to keep enough inventory in stock, this also frees up enough cash for the sponsored drivers to pick up more race classes and increase the entry count. So the more classes the sponsored drivers are running, the better the support in both parts and tuning help, but more importantly... more revenue in race fees!

I am fairly certain that a track will earn far more revenue from race fees than dealer markup. Just a guess, but willing to estimate that a track might get 75% back on race fees and only 25% on parts. This is not the same for all tracks, but trying to give an example of my perspective.

Let's say a driver has a budget of $300/mo to spend on the hobby:

No Sponsorships: $100 race fees and $200 in parts from LHS should net the track roughly ($100 x 75%) + ($200 x 25%) = net profit of $125/mo per driver

Driver with 50% sponsorship: $200 race fees and $0 in parts from LHS should net the track roughly ($200 x 75%) + ($0 x 25%) = net profit of $150/mo per sponsored driver

I'm over simplifying things, but just trying to show how I believe it can be slightly more profitable provided sponsored drivers are picking up more classes, but remember that the sponsored drivers are also helping pickup the slack by enhancing the parts supply chain and pit room support where it's just not sustainable for the LHS to do everything.

I see sponsorships as an excellent way to compliment the hobby, but the key is to limit a specific number of drivers per brand, and per track. That's where I feel the RD should have control of who they think the sponsored drivers should be. Maybe have a waiting list so when "driver X" doesn't show up after "x" many race days, then he loses his sponsorship and then next guy in line gets a turn to represent a brand.

I have been turned down by both TEKNO and XRay, it was frustrating to see both brands sign up drivers that I would consistently beat, and in both cases those drivers left each brand a short time later... facepalm.

*** My current sponsors are:
PR Racing
The RC Pro Shop
Vendetta Hobbies

AKA
Team Trinity

I am inactive with Dialed Hobbies which was my first sponsor.

I am currently "testing" Team Powers and Raw Speed who also offer sponsorships.

Things tend to get a little muddy when brands offer competing products but also offer products that compliment missing options from respective brands, that's where drivers have a little more freedom to cherry pick what works best for them, then support the brands with logos and tell your friends at the track what is working well for you. When enough drivers show interest in a brand, then the LHS may consider stocking that brand... all this R&D is done by the sponsored drivers, not the LHS.
SubSailor, AHR43 and Trlmatt like this.

Last edited by billdelong; 12-16-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Using biil delong's very excellent post (above), I was a 'Sponsored Driver' for two of my six years in RC drag racing. Knowing what I know now, and having the perspective of hindsight, I would have done two things differently:

1) I would have entered my "sponsored" car in regional, national and world events only. I would not have entered it at the local level. That would have accomplished two things. One, it would have helped level the field for those not fortunate to [yet] be receiving sponsored assistance. Important in growing a hobby is perception of unfair advantage. Having a completely separate car built, entered and maintained with my own funds would have removed that perception. And two, it would have brought the 'fun' back in the hobby for me. Being sponsored is a lot of work, believe it or not. At least it was for me.

2) I would have respectfully declined sponsorship. Knowing what I know now, I was much better off without a sponsorship. Building my own chassis and being locked into selecting only one electronics package was a bit detrimental to development. As we all know, different power packages work differently in various chassis. Something to think about in accepting a sponsorship is what are the personal goals?

My 2cents as having been there, done that. Cheers and Regards. AC
RacerX11 likes this.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

ive been sponsored. i would only submit a race resume to those companies i wanted to run. its nice getting a discount on products you were already going to run.
rcgod and tacklen like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.