Team AE on- road closing down? >

Team AE on- road closing down?

Like Tree8Likes

Team AE on- road closing down?

Old 09-30-2019, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Team AE on- road closing down?

So, the word on the street is that AE is abandoning it's on-road team.

Anyone know the details of this? Will they be still making parts for their on-road chassis?
Old 09-30-2019, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
So, the word on the street is that AE is abandoning it's on-road team.

Anyone know the details of this? Will they be still making parts for their on-road chassis?
I heard they will continue to produce parts for current kits but will not be developing any thing new .
Akhor likes this.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Well, that... sucks. I guess they’re giving in to the mostly European/Japanese competition. As someone who proudly ran an RC10L and TC3 back in the day this is sad for me... 😞 I highly considered buying a TC7.2 a few months ago, but heard this mumbling (albeit low key) even back then - picked up a foreign brand car instead. Well, they have a strong off-road program. Perhaps they will revisit this if on road picks up here in the States - not that it’s any different now from years ago, but off-road has always been more popular than on-road here.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Charle B, who runs cal raceway, once told me that AE sold 100 buggies to 1 sale for on road product. Maybe it just doesn't make financial sence to AE anymore.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This has been rumored for awhile in the F6 Facebook group. This was from this afternoon. It does seem true that no new road cars are planned. Status of “team drivers” seems unsure.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

#4EverWeAreAE
aaron2u likes this.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Well, that... sucks. I guess they’re giving in to the mostly European/Japanese competition. As someone who proudly ran an RC10L and TC3 back in the day this is sad for me... 😞 I highly considered buying a TC7.2 a few months ago, but heard this mumbling (albeit low key) even back then - picked up a foreign brand car instead. Well, they have a strong off-road program. Perhaps they will revisit this if on road picks up here in the States - not that it’s any different now from years ago, but off-road has always been more popular than on-road here.
I ran a RC10 & TC4. Great cars. Seems like other companies copied their designs Isn't their some kind patent or some thing to prevent others from steeling your design or is it a free for all out their in the R.C. world?
Old 10-01-2019, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1spunspur View Post
I ran a RC10 & TC4. Great cars. Seems like other companies copied their designs Isn't their some kind patent or some thing to prevent others from steeling your design or is it a free for all out their in the R.C. world?
Patents are expensive to register and often take months or years to get approved. They are also generally region specific, a US patent won't prevent foreign companies selling to foreign markets from copying. It's often not worth the effort.
ErikJan likes this.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:58 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Such a shame, I will continue to run mine through the winter and next summer season. A lot of countries seem to be struggling for touring car numbers at present other than here in the UK and Asia. I do think the TC7.2 is probably the best touring car Associated have ever produced and the highest spec kit on the market(other than the rod ends of course lol). It's also been a very good seller here in the UK in what is a if you can do a lap I will sponsor you era or win a class that is less competitive you can have stuff for free. Things are changing with Tamiya not sponsoring any high profile people anymore but still producing a very competitive touring car.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Very sad to hear, but I am glad their offroad is so strong.

I was in high school when the TC3 came out. I remember what an unbelievable step forward that car was in touring cars. It was the first TC I raced, and raced hard. Some of my most favorite moments were in an outlaw class where we would run anything with four wheels. With a 8 turn and 7 cell 2000 capacity batteries I would take on gas touring and on road cars and win not infrequently... usually coasting with a dying battery through the finish line. After every race weekend I would tear the thing apart and clean and rebuild the whole car, I could do it with my eyes closed. That thing was so reliable and fast back then. Still have that car tucked away on my shelf in my as raced condition.

I haven't done much in the last 10-15 years but AE will always be one of my top brands.
aaron2u likes this.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:29 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Just heard that Yokomo is up for sale, following the recent news that the founder of Yokomo has left as well as Masami who had been with Yokomo for 30 years!
Old 10-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default on-road

Hey they haven't made oval car for a while either now but I still have an RC10L4 and it they still gets raced ........
jiml likes this.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Well i think between the loss of Keven and Juho their international presence was dwindeling!
Old 10-03-2019, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by zxcvb1t View Post
Charle B, who runs cal raceway, once told me that AE sold 100 buggies to 1 sale for on road product. Maybe it just doesn't make financial sence to AE anymore.
Economics wins out every time.

My first RC car was a gold tub RC10, resistor speed control and all. My second car was an RC12L, fiberglass (a 12th scale car for less than a hundred bucks, think about it) My third car was a graphite 12L. Hey, competition got serious
Old 10-03-2019, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zxcvb1t View Post
i wouldn't doubt that. especially sense on road cars have gotten so race specific they are useless to anyone but racers. HPI was booming back in the late 90's/early 2000's with an on road car that worked for everybody. just sayin'
and now off road cars are going the same direction, track use only...
this is what happens when you fragment things and make one trick pony's

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.