Skateboarding >

Skateboarding

Like Tree31Likes

Skateboarding

Old 08-27-2019, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Skateboarding

I recently try learning to skateboard ... my only experience before was on a tiny, cheap $5 skateboard from K-mart when I was a kid. Never really learned anything on it since it was so tiny and wheels didn't even have bearings so it doesn't roll much. I gave it up shortly. Now in my early thirties and just got myself a proper skateboard to really learn for the first time. Don't expect to do any tricks soon, just taking baby steps learning to push and turn in parking lot. A good way to excercise that also challenge my mental focus on staying balanced, etc ... anyone here also skateboard?
AHR43 likes this.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used to skateboard. My advice is don't try and learn to ollie standing still,, learn to ollie while moving.

Riding goofy felt natural to me, even though I'm right handed

I don't have any tips, maybe run your trucks kind of tight while learning to push yourself around. Maybe wear a helmet and pads, lol.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

userst,
Stick with it, buddy. Don't skateboard here, but support anyone with the determination that does.

Been reviewing my old VHS recordings recently brought down from the attic. On one of the tapes is ESPN2 X-Games ClassiX with a lengthy segment on skateboarding. Had forgotten how much I enjoyed watching it. The cassette is marked 'Korea', so know it was recorded 1998-2000 time frame when the Army had me posted there.

Looking forward to seeing vids of you skateboarding while driving your RC. j/k Best of Luck. Cheers and Regards. AC
Old 08-28-2019, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Haha I'm thinking more along the lines of having my RC pull on my skateboard while riding. No more having to push on my own. If only I have something like a rock crawler instead of a TT-02 right now haha
AHR43 likes this.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i recently started skateboarding again after ten years last month, it seems to be allot more of a workout on the muscles in the front of my lower legs than i remember could also be that im 34 now haha. took quite a while to get my balance back again. I was big into the skate scene in vancouver in the early 2000s
Old 08-28-2019, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I started in 1985. I still skate today, at 46. My body is beat up, but I still think about it all the time, even when I can't skate. I won't quit until my body absolutely can't take it anymore.

It's a lot of fun and good exercise. Enjoy yourself.
LOW ET and skater-deez1 like this.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

High ^5 to fellow Goofy foots.. I picked up a Birdcage a few years back at a garage sale.. ran a few of the local skate board parks. Trentons still gives me rushs..
Dave_S likes this.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

This was roughly my experience on a skateboard:

Old 08-28-2019, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

This board nearly looks identical to my first skateboard.

fun fact, i got skateboarding banned at a little military installation in the Himalayas. Skateboarding is not a crime, except for when it is.
Sir 51D3WAYS and skater-deez1 like this.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I'm sure this will come as a surprise with my account name but I still skate regularly at age 46.....it's the fountain of youth. Skating at this age is great, falling at this age is no fun at all though.lol
AHR43, LOW ET and Dave_S like this.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Bud
Tech Addict

Not trying to be a spoilsport here but I used to ride a motorcycle a lot. Anybody that rides dirt bikes knows you're going to get off the hard way fairly often. When you get older all those get offs come back to haunt you. Wish I had thought about that when I was younger. I just wonder if it's going to be like that for scateboarders. I'm 70 now and I wish I had been a little more careful. Getting old sucks, especially if you've crashed a lot. Take care
King DORK likes this.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

42 and still skating over here. (and bmx)
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
This board nearly looks identical to my first skateboard.

fun fact, i got skateboarding banned at a little military installation in the Himalayas. Skateboarding is not a crime, except for when it is.
that reminds me of the shirt i keep seeing old school skaters wearing, also saw a sticker on the back window of a mini van of all things. back in the day it was "skateboarding is not a crime" now it's been changed to "keep skateboarding a crime" which is way more punk rock! skateboarding has gone little league and it's sickening. just sayin'
was never a skateboarder though. one to many skaters gave me shit about riding goofy and pushing mongo. never could get the hang of it any other way. also never really learned to ollie. i could repeatedly accidentally kickflip a 5 stair, but couldn't ollie on flat ground ...so i went and played street hockey instead
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

I could ollie very high standing still. Moving i could pretty much never ollie, but i could nollie.

I was obviously not very good. All my friends skateboarded though. We used to ride inside corn processing plant during late night hours, lol. My Corey O'Brien board was a hand me down from older brother. (Same as my old mongoose bike)
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AHR43 View Post
userst,
Stick with it, buddy. Don't skateboard here, but support anyone with the determination that does.

Been reviewing my old VHS recordings recently brought down from the attic. On one of the tapes is ESPN2 X-Games ClassiX with a lengthy segment on skateboarding. Had forgotten how much I enjoyed watching it. The cassette is marked 'Korea', so know it was recorded 1998-2000 time frame when the Army had me posted there.

Looking forward to seeing vids of you skateboarding while driving your RC. j/k Best of Luck. Cheers and Regards. AC
Be sure to include the ambulance ride pictures after that. Skateboarding while driving RC.

I once managed to pull myself with my Summit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.